Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Stone
England
Wokingham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm completely new to Go but fascinated by it. I've been reading a couple of Go books and various websites and I thought i was getting a handle on things...until I played my first game against the computer. This is the end of game state,

The final score was White 24.5 (19 territory, no captures, 5.5 komi), Black 1 (0 territory, 1 capture).

I understand the concept of making two 'eyes' to ensure a group of stones live so can someone please explain to me how the White group in the top left is alive? It looks to me that they have no way of living, Black can kill them off easily, so what am I missing?

I was White by the way, I passed at this point to see what would happen and Black did the same. I haven't got my head around when to end the game yet so there may be more stones I could've played.

Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The upper left is dead. The computer might incorrectly think the entire black group is dead. With a few extra white stones, it could be dead, but it's not in this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Stone
England
Wokingham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...thanks for the quick reply! It's good to know my thinking was correct.

I shall be wary of the computer from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If black plays on C5, he's group lives by making two eyes on E6 and D5, thus killing the top left group (and also the one on the left at B5).

If, on the other hand, it was white to play on C5 (instead of passing), then the black group would need to fight some more to try and make another eye on the left by killing that white group.

It really is a fascinating game, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
White would need 5 unanswered moves to kill the black group...

The top left is very clearly dead. Which piece of software were you using?

I suspect you should be moving to play against real opponents fairly soon, at the level you appear to be playing at you're probably not learning much of use anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Krupiński
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This space is available for rental
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that white stones (B3, B4 etc) in black group weren't mark as dead (in some program you have to manually do this), so computer was thinking that black group is in seki so cannot kill the white group in a corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Black won by 11.5 including the komi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Stone
England
Wokingham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jugular wrote:
Which piece of software were you using?

I was using qGoClient V1.5.4 with Gnugo 3.8 engine. It's the only one I've tried at the moment, can anyone recommend any more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SmartGo is loaded with features, plays decent (I think you can have it use GnuGo), but cost $$.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jugular wrote:

Four would be enough — B2, B1, A5, C5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
nachof wrote:
Jugular wrote:

B9 throw-in would then kill the top left group first. Though I guess 'unanswered' would mean black passes after C5 which would mean white gets a fifth move but it could be answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jugular wrote:
nachof wrote:
Jugular wrote:

B9 throw-in would then kill the top left group first. Though I guess 'unanswered' would mean black passes after C5 which would mean white gets a fifth move but it could be answered.

Good point. I forgot about that group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Clay
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
If the top left group was alive, it would only take white 3 unanswered moves to kill black =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good rule of thumb for new players is that if you're uncertain whether or not something is alive, try to kill it. At the worst, you throw in some stones and lose this particular game. But you will gain tons of knowledge about what lives and dies very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herodian Smith
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rezza wrote:
I was using qGoClient V1.5.4 with Gnugo 3.8 engine. It's the only one I've tried at the moment, can anyone recommend any more?

I use SmartGo on the ipad (the app is called SmartGo Kifu). It's expensive as apps go, I think it was $25, but I love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Mercado
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did the Cyclops died... because it had only one eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:
A good rule of thumb for new players is that if you're uncertain whether or not something is alive, try to kill it.

That's officially my favorite out-of-context quote of the day. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
blueatheart wrote:
A good rule of thumb for new players is that if you're uncertain whether or not something is alive, try to kill it.

That's officially my favorite out-of-context quote of the day. Thank you.

In that spirit of that quote... one day there are two hunters are in the woods and suddenly one falls to the ground clutching his chest, then stops moving. The other hunter can't rouse him, so he calls 911 and says "My buddy had a heart attack and I think he's dead. Oh my god, oh my god."

The 911 dispatcher says "Okay sir, calm down, the first thing is we need to make sure he's dead, can you do that?" There is a pause... a gunshot... and then the hunter says "Okay, now what?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.