Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of getting this game as a Christmas present for my nieces, who are 4 and 6. With the recommended age being 8 and up though, are they going to be too young for this game? It seems like with a bit of prompting they'd probably do just fine...but just thought I'd ask in case people had found it doesn't work with the little ones.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for games that would suit this age group? I gave them Animal Upon Animal last Christmas, and though they love it, the littlest one loses pretty much every time. For that reason Rory's Story Cubes looks good, in that there aren't really any winners and losers as such.

What do others think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for it. 4 and 6 is probably too young to play it alone, but they'll have a blast playing it with you.

My five year old, who was 4 when I got it, loves the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herodian Smith
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my sons, 5 and 6, and we have a wonderful time taking turns telling stories. I think you can make it work for a 4 year old with prompting, as you say. If she is not inclined yet to make her own stories, she would probably have a great time choosing what cube face comes next in your story!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen B
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our barely four and barely six-year-olds love it. The six-year-old has taken it camping with friends and to Girl Scout camp (with other six year olds) and it was a hit in both places. It's so portable and can be played with a free minute! When the sleeping bags had to go to the laundromat after tha camping trip, Story Cubes came along. The box is designed to allow the dice to be rolled in it which is handy for car rides. I will say the four-year-old doesn't enjoy it as much, but he's a boy and that may make a difference. Personally, I'd rather buy stuff a smidge ahead than find I've bought them something they've nearly outgrown!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love to listen to the stories my five-year old son tells from the cubes. He loves the cubes and the responsible parent in me can't help but love all the educational sides of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that they say ages 8+ for some legal reasons. If you want to make a toy for lower ages you must do some special security tests (like chocking hazard).

I guess that the designer didn't want to spend time/money in it, and left it as a safe "ages 8 and above"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Late reply but for any future readers....

Got this for a 6 year old for Christmas and they loved it. They told us lots of stories using the cubes.

Her three year old sister also had a go and did tell a good story, though admittedly she turned all the cubes to sides she wanted after rolling them.

We did have "sheep" in every story - think we got a loaded dice...

EDIT: Two weeks on... Apparently the story cubes were a big hit - the girls have taken them everywhere and been telling stories to everyone they visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the secret to making this game work, especially with young kids, is to play it with them. Kids love to have mum and dad take the time to focus on them. There are no wrong ways to interpret the cubes and this gives them the freedom to be as creative and/or as silly as they want to be. Enjoy this time.

As for other games your kids would enjoy, take a look at Monza, Make 'n' Break and Buzz to the Rescue - a recent implementation of Loopin' Louie, using Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I removed a few dice that I found questionable for the really young kids (especially the one that looks like someone punching another person in the face, and the match lighting something on fire), and the little kid scared of his shadow. I then gave four of them to my daughter (Almost 7) and her friend next door (4). The two of them had a BLAST, making up stories. I started it, and made up the first story. Then I set them loose with the die. The four year old first said, "Key, Mask, Phone". By her third try, she was making up incredible, outlandish stories and had me rolling. My daughter was getting into it even moreso, and had the four year old laughing away. I let them be, and they played for a half hour, I then replaced 2 of the dice with 2 more, and they played another half hour.

So although I think some of the images (some parents) may find a little inappropriate for the really young kids, I think it's fine for pretty much any age, with the parent just making the call on what they find appropriate or not. But if a FOUR year old can get into this on her own, just by watching her friend one or two times, I'd say yeah. This is EASILY for 8 and up. I would share them with any child who can speak and likes being read stories.

EDIT : I would like to note that it was the Action Dice that probably had the ones that I was the most concerned about with the younger kids. Again, though, just remove the ones you don't want and substitute with ones from another set, or whatever. It's easily modular/flexible and very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danilo
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I bought this game and played with my son, he's 3 1/2 now, and he can manage to tell us a story on his own, as well as join a story telling party where everyone in turn add a piece of the story rolling one die.

I think it's an excellent exercise for the youngsters.
If they don't get interested or find it frustrating, just help them out.

The first couple of times you have to show them how _you_ make up a story from the dice, then they'll want to do the same

It's lovely to hear them making up stories, it makes you proud of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter, now age 7 (second grade) has moved on to Once Upon A Time. Rory's Cubes were a nice starting point, though. Now she/wants more out of the storytelling experience. Once Upon a Time lets us interact with each other's stories, and was a big hit with her.

We also bought Tales of the Arabian Nights, and although she loved it I found myself a little bored by it in comparison. Too much "work" (is what it felt like) just to read a paragraph. Few times (though rare) the paragraph didn't even match up with the card drawn (I think once, a rhino card linked to a paragraph of a street hustler, and a djinn was just a regular man in the street). It just grated on me, I didn't find the "match this number to this matrix, roll a die, adjust paragraph, read" very exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.