Popular Tags: useful [+] [View All]
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks interested in game design might like this book I just had published yesterday: The Kobold Guide to Board Game Design.

It's a series of 20 essays on board game design by myself, James Ernest, Richard Garfield, Steve Jackson, Teeuwynn Woodruff, Jeff Tidball, Matt Forbeck, Dale Yu, Lisa Steenson, Paul Peterson, Michelle Nephew, Richard C. Levy, David Howell, Andrew Looney, and Rob Daviau. We talk about game conception, design, development, and presentation in great detail.

Take a look, and let us know if you like it.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I love everything I can find out about this book, but I'd love to see a third-party review. Have to be careful with the money, as always. But it would only take one solid review and I'd be in. Point me to one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hanusek
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A question: Why are the sides of the die on the cover mixed up? Shouldn't there be a 3 on the opposite side of the 4? there is a 2 at the moment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Lopaki wrote:
A question: Why are the sides of the die on the cover mixed up? Shouldn't there be a 3 on the opposite side of the 4? there is a 2 at the moment
I think it's a 3, with the blue head over the middle dot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Lopaki wrote:
I think it's a 3, with the blue head over the middle dot.

Correct. That can't be the two behind the blue figure, because the two is against the back wall.

Perhaps the head of the blue figure visually coincides with the center pip of the three for thematic reasons, though I can't fathom the expressive intent.

We may be drifting, though. That's a great topic an a great set of authors, but there are some useless books in this vein and I don't want another one. Is this the book I've been dreaming of or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, it's only up for download? No hardcopies available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I thought the web page said $10 for PDF, $20 for paperback *and* PDF. That's a very good deal, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks to be a great book. I ordered the print version and have been looking through the pdf in the meantime. I am part way through the essay by Rob Daviau and it is excellent.

Thanks for this book! It will be a fantastic addition to my game design library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atticus Gifford
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the PDF and have been reading on my iPad. If you design games at all, this book is a no-brainer; I'm about 6 essays in, and it's full of great stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy of the book in the mail earlier this week. The articles are great. This book goes right up there as one of the most useful for amateur game designers. Fantastic work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
Perhaps the head of the blue figure visually coincides with the center pip of the three for thematic reasons

Indeed it is. The 1 is represented by the lamp, the 6 by the floorboards, the 3 by the two dots and the blue designer's head, the 4 opposite that, the 2 by the back wall, and the 5 by your imagination.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just read Steve Jackson's article about errors when sending a prototype to a publisher for evaluation. Every wannabe designer should read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escape Pod Games
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Gunship: First Strike Coming Soon to your Gaming Table!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Mike

Can't wait to read this!

Will be buying my copy this weekend!

BTW I always base my posts about my game on the previews that you used to write for AH. Sometimes when I read my threads I can see your influence here and there. Not that saying this is going to get me a discount...lol

SW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth White
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
In case anyone's interested, Kobold Quarterly is also putting short little interviews on their website with each designer: "The first board game I fell in love with." http://www.koboldquarterly.com/k/tag/interview
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
strafingrungames wrote:
BTW I always base my posts about my game on the previews that you used to write for AH. Sometimes when I read my threads I can see your influence here and there. Not that saying this is going to get me a discount...lol

It gets you a smile from me. I hope that's good enough.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.