Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I feel like missing something about a rule:

A unit firing at range (2 hexes) on an enemy unit positioned on a fordable river will throw all its dices ... but if the attacking unit do it in melee (1 hex): there is a minus of -1D ... !

OK: let's say that the riverbanks will protect the unit inside the fordable river ... but if it protect against close muskets & bayonets, why it doesn't protect against far away muskets ... ???

I would have understood 3 possibilities:

1) Fordable rivers do not protect (melee & range)
2) Fordable rivers do allways protect (melee & range)
3) Fordable rivers only protect against range fire

But I don't understand the official rule:

4) Fordable rivers only protect against melee attacks ... ?

Me, poor soldier hidden against the riverbank, will be protected against the approching enemy infantry walking on top of me ... but will not be protected against rifles firing from hundreds yards away ... ?

TO BE SAID: I APPLY THIS OFFICIAL RULE ... but need help to understand it!

TY

GG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I *think* the idea is that the troops currently bayonetting you are ALSO having trouble wading through the river and are not being able to fight with the same tenacity (and frontage? and disciplined formation?) as they would when fighting with dry feet. No such problem exists for the riflemen picking off the poor wading fools. The -1d has nothing to do with cover from bayonets.

Just my 2 cents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just forget the concept of river banks, and start thinking about fast running streams of lots of water, then you'll be fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You both mean that this rule has nothing to do with the riverbanks?
OK ... you may be right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.