Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, picked up my copy yesterday. First time I've played third person in the 40k world since Space Hulk. Graphics look great, opposition is overwhelming as it should be in the beginning, and slowly building up to the bigger and badder weapons is a great way to understand the game (the sniper bolter is my favorite weapon at the moment).

Multiplayer is the standard affair; you get stuck on either a space marine team or a chaos marine team. There are no other team options. Kind of bites as I'd love to play an ork. However, the matches are fun, even for a low level like myself (close to level 5 right now, and there were already people at level 15 last night.) You can also customize your marine with additional armor pieces (graphical only that I can tell) and with different chapter colors and standards. My Thousands Sons Chaos Marine stands out like a sore thumb, but nothing like purple death coming at you with a raptor pack on. ^_^

Much fun to be had with this one. I didn't want to put it down last night. That's saying something as I really don't enjoy that many shooters. However, 40k has always held a special place in my heart since the early days of Rogue Trader. This just makes me a happy panda in Ultramarine armor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belirahc wrote:
However, the matches are fun, even for a low level like myself (close to level 5 right now, and there were already people at level 15 last night.)

This is what I currently hate about MP shooting games these days - there ar always some tools with nothing better to do than race through the leveling up process. It's super annoying.

Regardless of that annoyance, thank you VERY much for the brief mini-review. Can't wait to play this!!

I love the universe and setting as well so I'm pretty keen on this one - my only gripe with the Demo was that the Space Marines felt a bit too clunky and slow - I also disliked the control scheme for running. Hopefully they allow console gamers to change the controls or switch schemes in this final version. Though I'll probably pick up the PC version anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, you can change the controls on this one, but the base controls work well for me. Not sure why, but I don't have much of a problem with them. I just need to stop being such a button masher and learn a little more on how to fight in these things.

As for the marines feeling slow, I love the feel of that portion. When they fall to another area, the thud their armor makes really brings to light just how powerful the Emporer's finest really are. The storyline is interesting so far, but I'm hoping to fight Chaos and Tyrannids later in the game. Orks do kind of get old, but the overwhelming numbers make up for that some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Jones
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
belirahc wrote:
However, the matches are fun, even for a low level like myself (close to level 5 right now, and there were already people at level 15 last night.)

This is what I currently hate about MP shooting games these days - there ar always some tools with nothing better to do than race through the leveling up process. It's super annoying.

To be honest, I've reached level 24 and I would say that the leveling system is actually quite entertaining. Yes, it opens up options and perks for the more long-term/experienced players, but given the sheer madness of the carnage going on, even the bonus' granted are not going to stop you getting killed when you find yourself facing multiple enemies. Plus, the game has an interesting copying mechanic whereby when you are killed you can copy the "loadout" of the person who killed you. So for one life even a level one player in their first game can experience the thrills of an assault marine with thunderhammer or a devastator with plasmacannon if they have the mischance of ending up on the wrong end of one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I really like that copying, it's so great. I'm level 8 or so and really enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.