Subject: Quick way to win the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rob franzese
United States
New York
flag msg tools

Hey gamers,

I was playing my two uncles in Talisman the other day and I believe I found an easy way to win the game that shocked both my uncles who are veteran talisman players.

I was in the dungeon facing the boss on the final space in the region. I had built up my strength to 14 with all my magic objects, swords, shields, etc. The boss has a strength of 12 and depending on how much you defeat him by you could end up on the crown of command. If you beat him by 8 pr more you are automatically teleported to the crown of command. My strength was 14 however, I had a spell card the I could cast at anytime and it would double my strength until the end of my turn. So I casted it and my strength now was 28. I beat the boss handily by more than 8 and was teleported to the crown of command where I faced the Ice Queen who had a strength of 12 and I defeated her easily as well 4 times to win the game.

My question is, with that particular spell card, is my strength doubled even when I fight the Ice queen or just when I fight the boss in the dungeon? My argument is that on the spell card, it says that your strength is doubled until the end of your turn. When I'm teleported directly to the crown of command it technically is still my turn so my strength should remain doubled.

Did I legitimately win the game? Any thoughts?

Champ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The spell card you reference only doubles your Strength Value. It's not as clear as it could be in the instructions, but your stength value is the printed value that your character card says your strength is. In other words, your starting strength only. If your current strength was 12 and your starting strength was 3, that spell would effectively give you +3 strength until the end of your turn.

Your strength value (starting strength) is still doubled when you encounter the crown, though, since your turn has not ended, yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SGT Dave
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. It should only double your base STR. Like the power of the Monk, only adding base Craft. As a house rule, I would even be OK with that card doubling your STR, including your cones earned through trophies, etc. But I would never allow STR added through equipment or followers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Larkin
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twinkies... YUM!
mbmbmbmbmb
The gnome is really how we quickly win the game. Rolling one less die in the inner region is such a significant bonus that you can easily win the game well before everyone else. Since the Dwarf starts with this ability we usually take him out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are legitimate ways to easily stomp the Lord of Darkness, too.

Dominate spell or Staff of Mastery allows you to add an enemy creatures strength to your own for one combat. Dominate a dragon = 7 extra strength!

Toadify spell can turn the Lord of Darkness into a toad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SGT Dave
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the ideas of multiple ways to win. If you're going to survive the dungeon to get to the Crown, you deserve to win it. See if you can get there faster than the player trying fulfill a different winning condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I had built up my strength to 14 with all my magic objects, swords, shields, etc...

Hmm. We usually see people reaching the Crown of Command when they get a strength or craft of 8-10 or so, so I'm not sure I consider a 14 all that quick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.