Fort Wayne
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear there is whole world of train games. So far I've played

Railways of the World
Ticket to Ride
Steam

I've also heard of Age of Steam and 18GM: The 18XX GameMaster but never played these titles.

What else is out there? I have really come to enjoy the 3 at top and train games seem more appealing to me than any other type in particular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clouser
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire Builder is the first of a series of widely available 'Crayon Rail' games. The game offers track building as well as pick-up and delivery mechanics. This is one of my favorites for 2 player, though it plays much tighter with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/65/winsome-games

Chicago Express, SNCF, German Railways. The 18XX family is absolutely great (see 1889, 18AL, 1830 for beginning your exploring).
Steam, Age of Steam and Railways of the World are similar, but AoS if by far the best, IMO.

I'm not a fan of ticket to ride or the crayon rails games. This is because "train games" is a concept more related to its theme than to a certain mechanic per se. 18xx, Chicago Express and Aos are completely different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're in luck! 1830 just got re-releasaed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this geeklist: The Best Train Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I suggest Baltimore & Ohio?

In terms of mechanics, it is similar to Chicago Express and 18XX, where it has stock market mechanics. In terms of complexity, it is right between the two, and play time is at about 3 to 4 hours. If you liked TTR, then Chicago Express is slightly more complex. If you liked Railways of the World, you may enjoy B&O. If you've played the standard rules in Steam, you may be ready to tackle one of the 18XX, perhaps starting with 18AL or 1830: Railways & Robber Barons.

I've played Locomotive Werks, Pampas Railroads, and German Railways, which are all very good Winsome games. However, these are harder to come by being OOP.

Good luck with your search!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace P.
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you know, there's a whole bunch of train games out there. I'm not a hardcore train gamer (and am just starting to get into them more myself), but I think it depends on what you're looking for. Economic? Route building? Pickup and deliver? A combination thereof? How much complexity? How long of a game do you want to play?

You mentioned Ticket to Ride. Though not a train game, I think Thurn & Taxis is a nice step up from it.

There are some really great Winsome titles out there. What comes to mind is SNCF/Paris Connection (so +1 to that recommendation), Kansas Pacific, and Wabash Cannonball/Chicago Express (another +1). I know there's a dozen more, but those are the ones that I have actually played.

And I haven't played it yet (though it's on the truck for delivery today!), Airlines Europe has been described as a train game with planes.

(Edited for links.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
SNCF all the way! Being released by Queen as Paris Rails I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
hinotori wrote:

As an introduction to train games? Heavens no! Your friends will run screaming and never agree to another train game again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you want to get into 18xx
Cavedog_pdx wrote:

If you are savvy with Steam you can probably handle 1830, but be warned that it is a significant step up in complexity, length, and outright cussedness. Its not a game for the faint hearted. As for Ticket to Ride, thats like eating cupcakes, it doesn't count.

18AL gets a lot of flak from the 18XX experts, but there is plenty of stuff to slowly work through if you are not used to 18XX. For getting into 18XX I'd start with 18AL or 18GA before 1830. Unless your just eager for punishment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
Some 'train games' that are available and very good are Knizia's Stephenson's Rocket, Alan Moon's Clippers, and Chicago Express.

Stephenson's Rocket is only available in the USA as an import, so you'll have to pay a bit more, but it is a great little train game, works with 2p, and doesn't take too long.

Clippers has a clipper ship theme of course, but it plays exactly like a Winsome train game, with the advantage that you can actually buy it!

Chicago Express is a pure masterpiece: simple, inscrutable, fast and deep. It is a great share-holding train game.

I also think German Railways is genius, but I can't remember if Queen ever got this one out, and if its available. [edit: It looks like German Railways is available. Its like Chicago Express but more wacky, more of a roller coaster and somewhat luck-driven.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
photocurio wrote:
Clippers has a clipper ship theme of course, but it plays exactly like a Winsome train game, with the advantage that you can actually buy it!

And it's excellent. With light rules overhead. And it's cheap. Clippers gets my thumbs up as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavedog_pdx wrote:

From what I gather, not until October. And that can always change for the worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
hinotori wrote:

As an introduction to train games? Heavens no! Your friends will run screaming and never agree to another train game again.
Heavens yes! Who said anything about this being an introduction to train games? I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

The OP has played Railways of the World and Steam. If his group can handle those, then they can certainly handle B&O--rules-wise, it's not that complicated, but it may take some time to play well. If TTR is more to their liking, then I agree, Chicago Express may be next, then B&O.

Now, Age of Steam on the other hand may make some people scream (like me)... but, again, to each their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb

I guess the question is what do you like about train games? For a pick-up and deliver and route building focus there are the crayon rail games like Empire Builder on the lighter end and Wallace games like the Age of Steam family on the heavier end. For a stock manipulation and train ownership focus check out Union Pacific or the winsome titles like Chicago Express.

As others have said there are plenty of non-train games that incorporate train game mechanics. Of these my highest recommendation would be Cavum; a mining game that incorporates route building, pick-up and deliver, and commodity speculation, Cavum is a great non-train, train game.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Power Grid/Funkenschlag. Otherwise, I always heavily recommend Chicago Express.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
blueatheart wrote:
Don't forget Power Grid/Funkenschlag. Otherwise, I always heavily recommend Chicago Express.

Plenty of folks, including my wife, really like Power Grid and it does move faster with the routes already drawn and costs set. The bits are nice and there are expansions that keep the game fresh, but where PG really shines is in the power plant auction (at least for me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an aside question, I've been becoming more and more intrigued by Chicago Express, but I already own (and love) Airlines Europe, and I try not to have "repeats" in my collection.

Are CE and AE different enough to justify having both of them? Take into account, for example, that having Steam I have no desire to own Age of Steam, Railroad Tycoon nor Railways of the World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say I played Airlines Europe, but Chicago Express is quite brilliant. It manages to wolf intricate and complex decisions down into a 30 minute time frame. It's also wonderfully opaque, requiring several plays to uncover good plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Betote wrote:
As an aside question, I've been becoming more and more intrigued by Chicago Express, but I already own (and love) Airlines Europe, and I try not to have "repeats" in my collection.

Are CE and AE different enough to justify having both of them? Take into account, for example, that having Steam I have no desire to own Age of Steam, Railroad Tycoon nor Railways of the World.

Take this for what it is, since I've not played CE. I did play AE for the first time with 4 guys who were big CE fans and they said AE was better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaiden0 wrote:
Betote wrote:

Take this for what it is, since I've not played CE. I did play AE for the first time with 4 guys who were big CE fans and they said AE was better

It is rather unlikely that they understand CE then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may not be your cup of tea, but there is a solitaire print-and-play game from the contest that just ended. The premise is that you are the master of a rail yard where various trains enter, switch cars, and leave on a schedule. You direct the operation of switches, machines, and engines that shift cars to and from the various sidings. The game requires a fair bit of effort to build, and there are lots of fiddly bits to contend with, but if this sort of thing appeals to you then Coin Rail Yard might be for you. One player only. Assembly required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Betote wrote:

Check this out http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/621138/airlines-europe-vs-ch....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
SNCF all the way! Being released by Queen as Paris Rails I think.
Paris Connection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Rogers wrote:

Thanks! It was very clarifying. I think I'll pass on CE, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.