Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Southeast

Subject: [FL] Lady Lake, The Villages; Lake County - looking for other gamers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thom Parkin
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for others to share gaming on a regular basis.
We are:
Avid gamers
Over 50
Non Smokers
Pet Friendly

We enjoy games such as:
o Alhambra
o Stone Age
o Ticket To Ride
o Dominion
o Race for the Galaxy
o Lancaster
o Eketorp

But also play many "classics" like:
o Ka-Nexus
o Ingenious
o The Bottom Line
o Nile
o Rage
o Five Crowns
o Kings Cribbage
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pellegrini
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Both me and the wife use this account.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind a bit of a drive, there's Wednesday night gaming at Coolstuff in Orlando (starting at 6 PM), or Saturday afternoons at Phoenix Games in Ocoee (starting at 2 PM).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Parkin
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I have participated (in the past, when I lived near UCF).
I still drive to CoolStuff to purchase games - they are *THE BEST PRICE ANYWHERE*

Thanks for the advice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that this person
Will Cooper
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
Congratulations! You've found OverText.
badge
Well looky there, more OverText.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


recently moved very close to your area.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Power
United States
The Villages
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, it would be nice if we could get a real board game group going regularly in The Villages area. I think as more Boomers who grew up playing the early AH games and the like settle here it will happen. We are in Florida about one-third time now; hopefully more in a few years.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Cooper
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
Congratulations! You've found OverText.
badge
Well looky there, more OverText.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
powerjb wrote:
Yeah, it would be nice if we could get a real board game group going regularly in The Villages area. I think as more Boomers who grew up playing the early AH games and the like settle here it will happen. We are in Florida about one-third time now; hopefully more in a few years.


Well let us know when you're here so we can try and get something going.

Since we're much younger than the Villages crowd I haven't thought too much about looking for gamers there. But I'm always up for more gaming and don't really care what age my fellow gamers are.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Parkin
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

sandmaker wrote:
powerjb wrote:
Yeah, it would be nice if we could get a real board game group going regularly in The Villages area. I think as more Boomers who grew up playing the early AH games and the like settle here it will happen. We are in Florida about one-third time now; hopefully more in a few years.


Well let us know when you're here so we can try and get something going.

Since we're much younger than the Villages crowd I haven't thought too much about looking for gamers there. But I'm always up for more gaming and don't really care what age my fellow gamers are. :)


There is a very new library in Lady Lake with some choices of meeting rooms. It would cost us a little money, but, if you are serious about starting something [semi] regular let me know.
I will contact the library and try to "negotiate" something for us to, at least have an initial get-together.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents have a place in the Villages, if I'm ever going to be visiting down there and have a free night to game, I'll send a PM and let you guys know. No idea when that might happen, but maybe someday...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Cooper
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
Congratulations! You've found OverText.
badge
Well looky there, more OverText.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ParkinT wrote:

There is a very new library in Lady Lake with some choices of meeting rooms. It would cost us a little money, but, if you are serious about starting something [semi] regular let me know.
I will contact the library and try to "negotiate" something for us to, at least have an initial get-together.


Thom you know I'm always serious about board gaming.
Although if we find people near The Villages interested in starting something regular I would be interested in checking into some more economical aka free options.
I'm sure there is some business/library/meeting hall in The Villages that would glad to open their doors to some friendly geeks and wouldn't charge us $10 a meet-up.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Parkin
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree completely, Will.

My intention was to expedite the process - maybe get something put together sooner rather than later - and I thought, if even a small group of people (5-8) pitch in as little as A DOLLAR EACH we can cover something like the library.

Let's keep our eyes open for an opportune location in/around The Villages.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Im in Winter Springs Florida,

Im looking to play some TI3 or Runewars, or tother strategig /thematic board games. but primarily those two right now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sandmaker wrote:
Although if we find people near The Villages interested in starting something regular I would be interested in checking into some more economical aka free options.
I'm sure there is some business/library/meeting hall in The Villages that would glad to open their doors to some friendly geeks and wouldn't charge us $10 a meet-up.


There are TONS of clubs in The Villages, you should be able to stop by one of the rec centers and pick up a list. If they don't have a board/card game club of some sort already - see if you can get a resident to start one/be your sponsor. If you can, it's likely that you can use the space for free or very minimal cost. Someone at the rec center should be able to tell you about that and what the process would be to make the club official.

Edit: just called my parents to ask about it. They believe there is no cost, but you may need a minimum (small) number of residents listed as members and at least one resident must attend each meeting to get access to a room. Good luck with the club...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Parkin
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There may very well be a Board Game Club in The Villages.
My understanding is that, in The Villages all the clubs are only available to members of The Villages. They do have hundreds of clubs. And every resident of The Villages is issued an identification card that must be used as proof to be admitted.
I suspect they would not permit "outsiders" to use their meeting space.

I am not a resident, and I know Will is not a resident. We live within close proximity to The Villages (Lady Lake, Fruitland Park, Leesburg)

If your parents, David, can "sponsor" such a gathering that would be great

Let's not stop exploring the possibility of a get-together!!!

dboeren wrote:
sandmaker wrote:
Although if we find people near The Villages interested in starting something regular I would be interested in checking into some more economical aka free options.
I'm sure there is some business/library/meeting hall in The Villages that would glad to open their doors to some friendly geeks and wouldn't charge us $10 a meet-up.


There are TONS of clubs in The Villages, you should be able to stop by one of the rec centers and pick up a list. If they don't have a board/card game club of some sort already - see if you can get a resident to start one/be your sponsor. If you can, it's likely that you can use the space for free or very minimal cost. Someone at the rec center should be able to tell you about that and what the process would be to make the club official.

Edit: just called my parents to ask about it. They believe there is no cost, but you may need a minimum (small) number of residents listed as members and at least one resident must attend each meeting to get access to a room. Good luck with the club...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After talking to them again they told me that you need to show your Villages id card to get into the meeting rooms. So, I don't think this approach is going to work. You still need to be a resident to attend.

You CAN still attend if you have a guest pass, which is a limited-time id card, typically a resident will request one for their kids when then come visit, that sort of thing. But I don't think this really helps, you can't repeatedly issue guest cards for the same people every week.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Moye
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Are yall still trying to get a gaming group going down there? I'm from Ocala and trying to find or start a group.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Parkin
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely.
We would like to get 'something' going.
There are two of us (who meet occasionally) in Fruitland Park and Lady Lake. Perhaps we could find a meeting place in/near The Villages (or one of the surrounding towns) and get together on a regular basis.

The biggest hurdle is a meeting place. Any ideas/suggestions would be helpful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Cooper
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
Congratulations! You've found OverText.
badge
Well looky there, more OverText.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
writative wrote:
Are yall still trying to get a gaming group going down there? I'm from Ocala and trying to find or start a group.


Hello William,

As Thom said, there are only two of us actively gaming together in the area at the time. I've been talking with another user in The Villages but we haven't had a chance to get together yet.

We are always up for me people joining in for some games, and I am always up for some more gaming (I'm meeting with 3 or 4 different sets of folks currently). That being said, it would be nice to be able to meet somewhere like the Villages for a gathering.

Also, there seem to be a handful of gamers on this site who live in Ocala. You can find them through the Find Gamers feature http://www.boardgamegeek.com/users.php
That's not saying I'm not interested in gaming with you, merely pointing out other options.


As a side note - What type of games do you like to play? What would you be interested in playing?

If you're interested in getting something going send me a geekmail and we can talk further details there.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Militello
United States
Oxford
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently moved to the Villages due to my work. Are you guys still around here in the villages?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Parkin
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the area, Paul.
I have since moved south, toward Orlando. But if you can hook up with Will he is an avid gamer with an impressive collection to share.

My wife and I really miss playing games with Will. Maybe I can swing a trip up there and meet up with you guys one evening or weekend day.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Militello
United States
Oxford
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response, Thom. I'll reach out to Will and keep you posted. We will see if we can get together some time. any chance you and your wife will be at DTC?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Cooper
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
Congratulations! You've found OverText.
badge
Well looky there, more OverText.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Gort. I am here in Fruitland Park. Due to the nature of my job, it is sometimes hard for me to get a consistent gaming time going, but I'd love to try to meet up. Shoot me a GM sometime.

Thom, I miss you and Marge too. I haven't had anyone to game with steadily since you all moved.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Militello
United States
Oxford
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
I am the spy.....
badge
You could be playing a game right now....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Paul, Please keep me in mind!! Thanks, Damian
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Militello
United States
Oxford
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Of Course! Keep me in the loop too, D, (I know you will)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pellegrini
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Both me and the wife use this account.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Will, we haven't seen you in forever. Do you want to come down some time and game with us?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.