Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Benn
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
So what are some good basic strategies when playing this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one: Don't fly too close to the edge of the map. If a ship is partially out of bounds, they're destroyed at the end of the movement phase, or something like that. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Disclaimer: These are just a few of my thoughts from my perspective and experiences at GenCon demos. I have no insider info.

Just like any miniatures game with asymmetrical sides, play to the strength of your faction.
** The French craft had a lot of speed to move and maneuver, so get to the English aft quarter and stay there, because the French armor isn't great.
** On the other hand, the English had lots of armor and slow speed, so coordinate the movement of your other ships to overlap fields of fire.

Once you've damaged something, keep at it.
** Because of the possibility of "breaking the keel" on a ship, you want to keep hammering at a damaged quarter as much as possible. Not only are you hoping for that destruction roll, but you are also wiping out weapons that could be used to fire on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On size 1 or 2 ships it's good to hammer away at the same side trying for a Break the keel roll but on bigger ships you need to destroy a LOT of slots for the BTK roll to even have a possibility of working.

So for a Battleship hit a few different sides until you destroy about 12 or so slots then concentrate on the location with the most destroyed slots.

Use bracketing or saturation fire in a location that contains a 'miss' slot as you are allowed 1 re-roll.

Try to position yourself so you can bring guns from multiple locations to bear on your target while preventing others from doing the same.

Look over everyone's ship cards before you plan your move - you don't need to fear the port side of a ship if all his guns are destroyed in that location.

If you have torpedoes on your team try to take out the aft of ships (engines) to slow them down then lay torpedoes in front of them and they will be less able to avoid moving out of the line of fire. (area denial)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the one game I played at GenCon...

The French ships I used had a narrower profile and better guns on the front, so I went head in counting on the 1-3 miss chance. It worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.