Subject: out of my mind rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ashley Ishmael
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my 15 month old son has been acting odd lately. Yesterday I noticed that he was losing his balance a LOT. I thought he had just been sleepy, so I put him to bed at 6:30 pm. He slept all night long, until I went up and woke him up at about 9 am. He normally goes to bed at 8:30 for me and sleeps until I get home at 7 AM. Today he went with his dad, and about ten minutes later I get a text saying that he's acting like he is on some kind of medicine or really tired and did he not sleep well last night?
So I'm asking all my fellow geeks... should I break out the phone and just call to make him a doctor appointment, or should I let it go for a few days and if it doesn't get better then call? I'm trying to keep in mind that he is a growing boy, (growth spurt?) and not only that but I recently moved out of the only place he's ever known as "home." Come to think of it, his dad recently moved too, so it is all new environments for him, too.... I'm so confused and scared but don't want to be the crazy mommy who thinks everything is a major illness. So I throw it out to you. What should I do!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
When in doubt, call the pediatrician.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Call the doc, better safe then sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to call his pediatrician.......like, right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Ishmael
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what do you mean by that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be a simple ear infection that's screwing up his sense of balance in which case it'll clear up in a few days. But, why not let a doc tell you that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A sudden change in behavior is a valid reason for concern. Call the doctor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Ishmael
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I called nurse online. I'll explain everything that has been going on to them. Thing is, I don't remember him ever falling and hurting himself....Maybe posting to you guys wasn't the best because now I'm freaking just a little bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MistressGeek wrote:

To be honest (as you asked) it has some resemblance to the abuse of drugs (at least from the drug users I have seen on my family and friends).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
MistressGeek wrote:

To be honest (as you asked) it has some resemblance to the abuse of drugs (at least from the drug users I have seen on my family and friends).

Do you realize that he's 15 months old?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt there is a fifteen month old drug addict out there. It's probably an ear infection or something going on with his inner ear. Bring him into the pediatrician. I'd tell you not too freak too much, but if this is your first kid, I assume you'll freak anyway. Has he been rubbing his ears? That's often a sign that a kid has an ear infection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would call the Doc - and not worry about doing so. That's what they are there for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MistressGeek wrote:

That you need to call the doctor. I am not a doctor, your pediatrician is. It is a visible and sustained change in behavior. I'd call the MD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably not anything big, but why do nothing when a phone call is free? Call the pediatrician. Like others have said it's probably an ear infection, but a 15 month-old can't tell you what's wrong so it's better to be one of those worry-wart parents in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MistressGeek wrote:
So, my 15 month old son has been acting odd lately. Yesterday I noticed that he was losing his balance a LOT.

This smells of ear infection. Call the doc.

On an aside, if you don't have both an inner-ear thermometer...and either a good mouth or anal thermometer, that's always useful information in these instances. It's either 101.6 or 100.6 (and I think it's 100.6) our pediatrician says GET TO THE ER, and plan on staying a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
MistressGeek wrote:

Do you realize that he's 15 months old?

Sorry I read 15 years, I apologise for any hurt caused. Yet it does still sound like drugs. Is there the possibility of contamination?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
I doubt there is a fifteen month old drug addict out there. It's probably an ear infection or something going on with his inner ear. Bring him into the pediatrician. I'd tell you not too freak too much, but if this is your first kid, I assume you'll freak anyway. Has he been rubbing his ears? That's often a sign that a kid has an ear infection.

It may not be addiction, it could be contamination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Ishmael
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nurse online believes it may have something to do with lymes disease that we caught way early in may. The nurse told me I should bring him to ER. I haven't seen him pulling at his ear but, we will see what happens... wish us luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
+1 on the recommendation to call the doctor, in case you needed any more encouragement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Ishmael
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't noticed any fevers either. And I shouldn't be too worried about bringing him in. Either way we will find out if it's something serious or not and I won't have a bill (my insurance cost is WAY too high to pay for, so he has state funded health insurance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MistressGeek wrote:
Nurse online believes it may have something to do with lymes disease that we caught way early in may. The nurse told me I should bring him to ER. I haven't seen him pulling at his ear but, we will see what happens... wish us luck.

Totally good call. Good luck, let us know how you get on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MistressGeek wrote:

Under the "when you hear galloping, think horses and not zebras" ...I think she's thinking zebras:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

Good luck though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me to the bring him in to either your pediatrician or the ER.

Not a doctor, but I know if my 17 month old was acting like that she would be in the car being taken in. The peace of mind alone is worth the ER visit fee or co-pay.

(Edit, I'm not a doctor, but I am a lawyers and I've practiced marital and family law almost 13 years and this is not a reaction to the separation. It may be that the stress of the separation has lowered his immune system causing some other malady, but this is not what I would expect to be occurring in a 15 month old reacting to the separation of his parents. - - - again, get him in)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pressley
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
And don't worry about being a distraught parent. We've all been there. Pediatricians want you to call if you have even a smidgeon of concern. I'd wager that most of the calls and visits they receive turn out to be no big deal, and that's the best outcome of all for everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
bippi wrote:
It's either 101.6 or 100.6 (and I think it's 100.6) our pediatrician says GET TO THE ER, and plan on staying a while.

Seriously? 100 is just a low fever and even 101 isn't that high. You can have either of those with a simple cold.

Why would you go to the ER for that?

My ped says only call if the fever's been elevated for more than 3 days or if there's other symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fever#Fever_phobia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.