Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm sorry to repost this, but previous answers didnt help at all.

Since me and my group like to make a tournament out of our weekly game sessions, I was wondering if someone has any idea of how to distribute positions for non-winners players.

I though of giving positions in fonction of which is closer to his victory path (like 14 coins or 14 tech or 2 space away from culture victory) but the two major problems are:

Military victory: how do you quantify that?

Culture victory: I mean to achieve culture victory you must get like 2-3 space a turn (I think not much experience since I've played 3-4 games and noone really tried this way much) so being 3 space away is maybe just one turn. And is there 15 spaces on the track like the other victory? (15 coins, 15 techs)

Anyways, any good suggestions?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
But why repost? Just write in the first post that you need a different kind of answer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. this thread is more a waste than the (unwanted) answers you got from the other thread, especially my answer, which is what I thought you were looking for, until I was reprimanded for trying to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Because as for everypost people kind of stop replying after 2-3 replies. I said that it wasn't what I was looking for but people stopped replying. So I did a new post, hoping for some good answers (removing from my threat what I though might have misguided people into giving me wrong answers)

As for your answer stupid bruins fan(just kidding but still you got lucky CH should have kicked your ass last playoff grr!!!) go back to my previous thread and read it again. Then explain me how could your response have helped me in any way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the reason people stopped replying is because nobody has the answer you're looking for. I do have a couple thoughts, though.

Quote:
Culture victory: I mean to achieve culture victory you must get like 2-3 space a turn (I think not much experience since I've played 3-4 games and noone really tried this way much) so being 3 space away is maybe just one turn. And is there 15 spaces on the track like the other victory? (15 coins, 15 techs)

I'm not sure why you can't just count them, but there are 21 spaces on the culture track, 7 for each age.

I don't think coins and techs are directly comparable, even though each victory type requires 15. The problem is pacing. Economic and cultural victories tend to start off slowly in the first half of the game and then make a lot of progress in the second half. Tech victories are slow but steady in comparison.

As an example, consider an economic player with 11 coins, and a tech player with 12 technologies. A simple comparison would put the tech player ahead, but my money would be on the economic player for actually winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Do you have a suggestion on how to define a second and third player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I think this is a win-or-lose kind of game, and I just don't see a good way to objectively assign rankings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george bews
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you want to give out medals or standings play a game that awards vp's, in civ its win or lose no second place

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingAnus3 wrote:
Because as for everypost people kind of stop replying after 2-3 replies. I said that it wasn't what I was looking for but people stopped replying. So I did a new post, hoping for some good answers (removing from my threat what I though might have misguided people into giving me wrong answers)

As for your answer stupid bruins fan(just kidding but still you got lucky CH should have kicked your ass last playoff grr!!!) go back to my previous thread and read it again. Then explain me how could your response have helped me in any way?

1) You simply should have clarified what you were looking for. Like I said, I (incorrectly) thought you were asking for a poll of how to distribute your point scale. Responding the way you did only turns people off who are *genuinely* trying to help, as was I. I never thought "5-3-1-0 sequence" could shut down a thread so fast.

2) As for the Bruins comment, this I should not validate with a response, but all I know is this:

The only way the Cup got to Canada was a Bruin taking it there.

I replay the Sedin-Marchand "fight"/bobblehead impersonation with great affection ...

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb

Hahaha don't really like the Canucks even if I family out there. And I certainly hate the sedins, but maybe not as much as Thomas (old lucky piece of crap) Chara, Lucic AND Brad ''Pinochio'' Marchand! Men What a Nose!!! Bigger then Cleopatra!

Also hate Bergeron, but because he plays so well!

GO HABS GO!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingAnus3 wrote:

Hahaha don't really like the Canucks even if I family out there. And I certainly hate the sedins, but maybe not as much as Thomas (old lucky piece of crap)

2008–09 Thomas, TimTim Thomas Boston Bruins 1
2010–11 Thomas, TimTim Thomas Boston Bruins 2

No luck there...

KingAnus3 wrote:

Chara,...

How's Pachioretti doing? Blame the poorly designed rink, not Chara.

KingAnus3 wrote:
Lucic

I noticed White didn't want a piece of that, given several chances...

KingAnus3 wrote:
AND Brad ''Pinochio'' Marchand! Men What a Nose!!! Bigger then Cleopatra!

We call him far worse down here, but his name is on the cup.

KingAnus3 wrote:

Also hate Bergeron, but because he plays so well!
GO HABS GO!!!!

He he he. Looking forward to a good season. Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just ask the players who they thought did second best, etc.? If there is no consensus the winner ranks the players and why not as he is the winner and bottom-line they are fighting over best loser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
Why not just ask the players who they thought did second best, etc.? If there is no consensus the winner ranks the players and why not as he is the winner and bottom-line they are fighting over best loser.

That's fine for a single game, but not in a tournament context.

Suppose Alan has 10 points and wins the final game of the tournament, bringing him to 14. Bob has 12 points and appears to be in second place for this game, which would bring him to 15 points to win the tournament. But if Alan decides that Bob was in fourth place this game, then he only gains 1 point, and Alan wins the tournament. It's not fair to Bob to have Alan make that decision. You would need an independent adjudicator with no stake in the outcome to decide the rankings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is there is no such thing as second place. If player 1 destroys player 4(military win) and player two has invested in culture and coins, but player 3 also had an army in range of the capital of player 4 and the military to defeat them, clearly for me it should come down to 1, 3, 2, 4, but that is a subjective call based on my experience. If 3 had a 50% chance to defeat 4, it becomes a lot less clear. I would recommend a judge makes a call. Or have qualifying tournaments (like we someday will have a PBF winner's game). First 2 rounds could be win and get to next round. 1/4th of the players will advance and the losers get a second chance (or do 3 rounds depending how many you want in the next round).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.