Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Devon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
All three of my games have taken 2.5+ hours. They also feel draggy, with many turns where both players can do little but discard and hope they draw the right card combinations to do something useful. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is common in the first game, and a sure sign that you are expanding a lot without using the governor to remove cards from your deck.

Try getting the governor early, and aggressively remove cards that aren't on the advancing front towards the enemy. Next time you play try and keep your deck at around 15-20 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
surmik
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have experienced this but only during the first play. We forgot for example that you can discard a card with a coin to get money Second and all next plays took a little bit more then an hour. I think we can go under an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? I don't mean to sound harsh, but I can't imagine a game going over 2 hours if both players know what they're doing.

Have you been using the Governor card to thin out the decks? Yes, sometimes you have turns where you're dumpin to recycle. And if you want to do something specific it may take time to get the right cards (but the reserve can help you there). the only time I've run into the "doing nothing turn after turn" problem is when I know I'm getting my butt kicked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
asfhgwt wrote:
All three of my games have taken 2.5+ hours. They also feel draggy, with many turns where both players can do little but discard and hope they draw the right card combinations to do something useful. Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes, stop expanding and go balls-out military against your opponent. It will be quite easy to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromey Martin
United States
Dallas
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bordgamer wrote:
the only time I've run into the "doing nothing turn after turn" problem is when I know I'm getting my butt kicked.

Yep. If you find yourself discarding and doing nothing on anything but relatively rare actions, you are losing. Badly. Figure out why!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like playing Dominion and adding a lot of Copper and Estates to your deck. Once you learn to make your deck efficient, it will go a lot faster!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing: sieges help to keep military cards from clogging your deck. So, if you keep a siege going, you can get to your other cards more effectively. You can also use the reserve for that, but you'll need to protect them from ambushes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My last game ran about 45 minutes as my son rushed the Brits development and settling for the win. It can be much faster. Your play will speed up as you get better at the game. You will not be needing to ask yourself, "Can I settle Fort Frontenac with this hand?" to "No Quebec. Next idea"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb

I sympathize. Mine are going about an hour to ninety minutes. Well, closer to ninety. Down from three hours, anyway!

All the advice sounds good, above, but what I think I need to learn is more about deck management. My nephew is pretty good at that & so I hope to learn from from him as we play more. Do you own domininion? do you know anyone who can teach you that, a gaming group that has it? I'm content to poke along and learn as I go, I've been staying away from strategy threads, but if it's too frustrating for you, maybe look into deck management as a specific skill.

The thing I'm trying to teach myself is that it's a lot easier not to pick up a card than it is to get rid of it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kemp
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished playing two games (My 4th and 5th plays). Got two games played in just under 3 hours.

The first time I played it seemed like agony...but now I have the rules and gameplay sorted, it goes real quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hays
United States
Raymore
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first games were 4 and 3 hours. But hopefully following some of this advice we can shorten it next time. I really want to like this game but unless I get it close to 90 minutes I know it won't get played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.