Popular Tags: [View All]
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This Friday I am going to have my first Arkham Horror game. Initially I looked at the game and thought it would be stupid. I had a friend try and get me to play the game and I'd always refuse but I never thought the game was for me. Last week in a last ditch effort to get me to play the game, that friend directed me to Strange Eons and informed me that I could actually create my own investigator for the game and play as anyone I wanted...even Batman.

Now I am a HUGE Batman fan and the opportunity to play the game as the Dark Knight really appealed to me. I told my fiance about that and she was interested in playing the game too if I could create a Harry Potter investigator for her. With that being said, before I begin creating the investigators I wanted some help from some of the more experienced players so that they are not created broken, but nevertheless maintain their traditional attributes. So if someone could let me know what they think of the following stats for each of the investigators as well as their respective abilities it would be most appreciated.

Batman
The Detective
4 Sanity
6 Stamina
Home - Black Cave
Fixed Possessions - 1 Skill, $9, 3 Clues, Dark Cloak, Brass Knuckles
Random Possessions - 1 Random Unique Item
Focus 2
Speed - 1, 2, 3, 4
Sneak - 4, 3, 2, 1
Fight - 2, 3, 4, 5
Will - 5, 4, 3, 2
Lore - 4, 3, 2, 1
Luck - 0, 1, 2, 3
At One With The Night - If he can trace a clear route without monsters Batman may move up to two extra spaces during his movement phase
Martial Arts - Batman's attacks ignore Physical Resistance
Suspicious Nature - Batman cannot trade money or items with other investigators

Harry Potter
The Wizard
5 Sanity
5 Stamina
Home - Ma's Boarding House
Fixed Possessions - $6, 2 Clue Tokens, 1 Common Item (Dark Cloak), 1 Random Unique Item
Random Possessions - 2 Spells, 1 Skill
Focus 2
Speed - 0, 1, 2, 3
Sneak - 3, 2, 1, 0
Fight - 1, 2, 3, 4
Will - 5, 4, 3, 2
Lore - 2, 3, 4, 5
Luck - 4, 3, 2, 1
Courage Friendship Bravery - Any Phase: Once per turn, Harry may prevent 1 point of Stamina or Sanity loss for any investigator. In addition, gain 1 sanity or stamina each time a doom token is placed on the ancent ones track
Magical Gift - Any Phase: Whenever Harry draws one or more cards from the Spell deck, he draws one extra card and then discards one of the cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Batman character (and there have been several good Batman characters already made, so that's saying something), especially the "At One With the Night" ability, which is different and clever.

Harry Potter seems a little bit blah, though. I like that he has the Dark Cloak and starts with 2 spells, but I wonder if his Lore shouldn't be 6 to make him the uber-amazing spell caster that he is. His special ability is just okay, IMO, though I'm not versed well enough in HP to suggest something better.

Good job in general, though, I'd say. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Batman would be better off starting in the Black Cave (Batcave), and maybe up his speed by 1 for starting in a high-frequency gate location?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Harry Potter seems a little bit blah, though. I like that he has the Dark Cloak and starts with 2 spells, but I wonder if his Lore shouldn't be 6 to make him the uber-amazing spell caster that he is. His special ability is just okay, IMO, though I'm not versed well enough in HP to suggest something better.

Good job in general, though, I'd say. Have fun!

Well with Harry Potter I was picturing him stil being a 3rd or 4th Year Hogwarts student from Prisoner of Azkraban and I didn't want to make him too bada$$. But thanks for the tip and well wishes. Also, Batman's "At One with the Night" is the idea of one of the posters on this site. I liked it too so I used it.

anoirtrou wrote:
I think Batman would be better off starting in the Black Cave (Batcave), and maybe up his speed by 1 for starting in a high-frequency gate location?

Black Cave sounds like a good idea. I'll change that. Now just so I'm clear, on speed do you mean for me to change it to 1, 2, 3, 4 instead of starting at zero? I apologize for sounding confused but I had to the download instructions and read the rules just to familiarize myself with the game so I'm not completely sure how actual gameplay works.

If anyone has any other suggestions or comments, please post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
1,2,3,4 does sound pretty slow for Batman. Also, the Martial Arts power seems a bit strong. Instead, how about him starting with the Martial Arts Skill card + one additional Skill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
1,2,3,4 does sound pretty slow for Batman. Also, the Martial Arts power seems a bit strong. Instead, how about him starting with the Martial Arts Skill card + one additional Skill?

Do you think that those two would balance each other out? If not, what would you change Batman's speed to? I kind of don't want to change his Martial Arts power because Batman's fighting abilities are just that damn good in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
harlemsushi wrote:
anoirtrou wrote:

Black Cave sounds like a good idea. I'll change that. Now just so I'm clear, on speed do you mean for me to change it to 1, 2, 3, 4 instead of starting at zero? I apologize for sounding confused but I had to the download instructions and read the rules just to familiarize myself with the game so I'm not completely sure how actual gameplay works.

If anyone has any other suggestions or comments, please post.

jackalope wrote:

Yes, I was talking about changing it to 1-4. I agree that it seems a bit slow for Batman, but you have to make some sacrifices for character balance. (Let's face it, to create the real Batman, he would have to have 2-5 in every skill with a 3 focus...) Starting out with the Martial Arts Skill card could work, as long as you have Kingsport, but you would have to re-balance the whole character if you add another skill. I don't think the ability as written is too powerful, look at Zoey Samaras, she ignores both physical and magical resistance, and changes immunities to resistances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
harlemsushi wrote:
Well with Harry Potter I was picturing him stil being a 3rd or 4th Year Hogwarts student from Prisoner of Azkraban and I didn't want to make him too bada$$.

There are very few spell users too powerful in this game. Daisy qualifies because not only can she cast each spell at 1 less sanity loss, she gets her choice of 1 spell.

For Harry, I'd give him that ability to cast at -1 Sanity loss and the ability to draw a spell each upkeep then discard one of the spells he has. He'll get to look at a lot that way. The Dark Cloak is for sneaking. Is that Harry? You're giving him an almost elder sign to begin with?????? That's too strong, IMO. Besides its out of print. Also I'd up his speed and reduce his fight. He's a kid and his fight s/b 3 and no higher.

For Batman: You've turned into an awesome barefisted fighter. The Calvary saber is weaker than his bare hand, so its a waste. I'd drop his Lore to 3 and up his Speed, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:
For Harry, I'd give him that ability to cast at -1 Sanity loss and the ability to draw a spell each upkeep then discard one of the spells he has. He'll get to look at a lot that way. The Dark Cloak is for sneaking. Is that Harry? You're giving him an almost elder sign to begin with?????? That's too strong, IMO. Besides its out of print. Also I'd up his speed and reduce his fight. He's a kid and his fight s/b 3 and no higher.

That is an interesting power. How would you phrase it to go on the card and what would you call it? As far as the Dark Cloak goes, I wanted to give it to him because it was similar to the invisiblity cloak he has and he did a lot of sneaking around with that.

mageith wrote:
For Batman: You've turned into an awesome barefisted fighter. The Calvary saber is weaker than his bare hand, so its a waste. I'd drop his Lore to 3 and up his Speed, though.

I'll definately up Batman's speed. As for the Calvary Saber, what would you give him to replace that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That is an interesting power. How would you phrase it to go on the card and what would you call it?

"Magical Research" or "Spell Research".

For Daisy they call the Sanity deduction "Careful Reader".
For Dexter it is called "Sorcerer"
For Harvey it is called "Eureka!"

I'd call it "Wizard" then for Harry" and change his job to the magical student or the student of magic or the theurgist.

Quote:
I'll definately up Batman's speed. As for the Calvary Saber, what would you give him to replace that?
Just a random Common item or maybe Brass Knuckles to make him an even more awesome bare knuckler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:
The Dark Cloak is for sneaking. Is that Harry? You're giving him an almost elder sign to begin with?????? That's too strong, IMO. Besides its out of print.

What do you mean it is out of print?

Also thank you on the advice for Brass Knuckles. I will definately make the replacement for Batman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul V
msg tools
harlemsushi wrote:

What do you mean it is out of print?

The Parchment of the Elder Sign was only available in the first printing of Curse of the Dark Pharaoh; it does not exist in the current (revised) edition printings of this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rankinsect wrote:
The Parchment of the Elder Sign was only available in the first printing of Curse of the Dark Pharaoh; it does not exist in the current (revised) edition printings of this expansion.

Then as opposed to that, is there anything in the base game that you'd recommend that would give Harry the umph that the Parchment of the Elder Sign would have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being able to cast spells without one less Sanity cost and eventually looking at 15 different Spells throughout the game is actually quite a bit of umph. Saving 5 Clues to seal a gate AND remove a doom token is over kill. There is a Kingsport character starts with the slightly stronger Elder Sign and is cut WAY back in her items and starts with 4 Sanity and 4 Stamina. In addition, she loses some other skills when she gives up the Elder Sign. Harry doesn't suffer from any of that, yet gets most of the bonus.

In short, the parchment on top of his top drawer magical skills is too good IMO, so I'd just give him a random unique item or whatever it takes to keep him in balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All good points. I've changed the parchment to a random unique item so he should be good to go now. Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.