Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Dedeaux
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our earlier games, my friend had offered up the idea of culling creatures as they were scored. I have also seen this variant written somewhere in this forum once or twice. But, culling was never an issue with me and my group, so we never used it. Instead, I decided to take this idea and modify it to introduce a new option for players...

Quarry Buyback: After scoring a creature, place it on the scoring track temporarily. Then take your turn as you normally would with the following option: You may spend Quiddity equal to the glory printed on the creatures card to buy it back (into your used pile). Otherwise, the creature is culled and placed back into the wilds.

This may slow the game down a little (but I don't see that as a problem), as people would likely be buying back their creatures (instead of buying more). And it should also make spells (and smaller creatures) a little more enticing to buy.

I had originally intended to try this variant with a modified culling rule of allowing players to cull any used die (1 per turn max) by paying 3 Quiddity. But, I may instead try the variant posted earlier as Versatile Assistant, because it also adds options for players and it seems to be more fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
twesterm
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The idea of your creature going back into the wild would annoy me more than anything because then your dice bag more or less stays the same basic bag plus a few more.

I guess I'm just not really sure what the point is in making your creatures going back to the wild after scoring with them. If you just want to increase the length of the game, just increase the amount of glory needed to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dedeaux
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't suspect anyone would plan to let their creatures go back to the wilds with this variant. You won't be losing anything unless you choose to, since it's cheap enough to buy them back (since they only cost the glory printed on their cards). Although a bad roll can mess you up. Not every creature wants to be slave to your dice bag, right? The more powerful they are, the more difficult they will be to keep.

The point of this variant is to slow the buying down and make the smaller creatures more interesting to the players. As it stands, why would anyone buy a 2 or 3 point creature when you could buy a 4 or 5 point creature (4 Quiddity is easy to roll in 1 turn)? It's way better to have the higher cost creature IMO.

The truth is, once you've purchased a creature, there is no penalty to using it's power. So, if you can afford a dragon, you want to use it without question as often as possible. With this variant, you now have to consider the consequences of using that dragon. It's powerful, for sure! But, it will now set you back (more than other creatures) each time you score with him.

I'll be honest in that I haven't played this variant yet, so I don't know how it will play out. But, it definitely will not have the same effect as simply increasing the amount of glory needed to win.

I also don't think it will keep the dice bag the same basic bag plus a few more. People will still buy back their creatures, and they'll buy more...if they're not buying more, it's because they are buying the big creatures and can't afford to do anything but buy them back. Such is the price to pay with this variant.

I plan to try it out next time I play. Hopefully it plays well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.