Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Heinssen
United States
Holtsville
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife will occasionally humor me and play a board game. Of all the games I have she likes only one game, Bohnanza. We usually only play it when we are on vacation in the hotel at night. She has played other games I own (Kingsburg, Stone Age, Othello, Zoolereto) but Bohnanza is the only game she truly likes.

So this past weekend after dinner and I asked if she wanted to play a board game. She was like "Sure". "How about Space Hulk?" I ask. (It's a running joke because I run around the house with the box yelling "SPACE HULK!!" at her.) Of course I got the same response I always get. "Um, NO."

This is where it started getting strange.

We were looking over my game collection and she asks "Let's try that Arkham Horror game you have." (Hmmm, strange.)

So I set up the game expecting her to look at all the crap and realize she made a mistake. She's like "This game looks really well produced." (Stranger yet!)

I then start to go over the rules (kept them as brief as possible) and we started playing. Now Arkham Horror is like a 3-4 hour game. I expected to play a few rounds, she would get bored and that would be that. After about 3 hours in we stopped because it was getting late and she says "Leave it set up on the table so we can finish tomorrow." W.......T.......F.!!!!!!

So the next morning we play for another hour and half and lo and behold we get devoured by Cthulhu himself. Then the weirdest thing of all happened. She was like, "That was awesome we need to play this again!"

surprise ......... surprise ..............surprise

I fear that the Stars Were Right and the Great Old Ones are going to devour us all!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had Space Hulk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sullivan
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is quite awesome, Kris. My experience hasn't quite gone that way with my wife. There are some games that I like, that she doesn't. She was the one who picked Arkham Horror to have put on one of our board game orders though.

It's like the "house" game now. We play it, A LOT. It's my absolute favorite game to play with her. We even introduced it to another couple on Monday, thinking we'd give it a crack. They bought it the evening they got home!

You never know what people will like until you let them try it. Great game, better with expansions. I can't wait to get the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter is in her early 30's and would never ever play a game with me. Then she saw the "cute" dollars from Arkham Horror and she's now played over 300 games of it and goes to game conventions with me.

She's now dating Kublacon, himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
She's had alien spores planted under her skin or joined the Silver Twilight Lodge; but those aren't necessarily bad things. I like these types of stories. You're a lucky guy.

Wait. I just thought of something. Maybe she has a twin she never told you about and they've switched places. Only for boardgame purposes, of course, since she can't share your love for them, but can still give you the joy of doing so.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kern2376 wrote:

So I set up the game expecting her to look at all the crap and realize she made a mistake. She's like "This game looks really well produced." (Stranger yet!)

This was my favorite part...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere in your house there is a pod...

Get a flame thrower and start searching...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Who the hell are you and what have you done with my wife?!"
Her maiden name wasn't Curwen or Waite was it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I wish my partner was like that. She was well into doing board games until we had a baby this year and now she is never up for it. Not surprising, bearing in mind how tiring it is to look after a little one, but I was hoping the odd game might not go amiss.

We haven't played one since February...

I keep on persevering though!

M B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
I am have managed to get the kids to play Arkham Horror with me, I am still working on the wife but it is a uphill struggle whistle

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.