Subject: PBF Descent #2: Raiders of the Lost Temple rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
I'M TRAPPED IN AN OVERTEXT FACTORY SEND HELP
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello and welcome to the new game of Descent! This game will include the Well of Darkness expansion (basic JITD + WOD only), and the scenario is called "Raiders of the Lost Temple".

Player list:

Overlord:
Dywnarc

Player 1:
CMoor213 (Runewitch Astarra)
Player 2:
SoylentRed (Nanok of the Blade)
Player 3:
MeddlerVB (Vyrah the Falconer)
Player 4:
corbon (Spiritspeaker Mok)

Rules:

Bold your orders! Non-bolded orders will be treated as commentary and will be ignored by me. I welcome discussion/tactical planning but I need to differentiate game moves and fluff at first glance.

No modifying orders/inserting stuff in the middle of posts once posted! Follow-ups after the rolls are fine, however, to avoid multiple-posting.

Please reread your posts before submitting. I can stand some typos but give me too many and my eyes start to hurt after a while

The maps will be posted every turn, possibly with arrows and markings indicating moved figures/attacks/whatever. A text summary of stats/visible cards/etc. will be attached.

Information:

We'll use these codes, paste them as your dice in the GeekRoller:

Red Melee Die:
1custom6{iid:1057263;iid:1057256;iid:1057258;iid:1057260;iid:1057262;iid:1057261}

Blue Ranged Die:
1custom6{iid:1057251;iid:1057247;iid:1057248;iid:1057249;iid:1057249;iid:1057250}

White Magic Die:
1custom6{iid:1057267;iid:1057264;iid:1057264;iid:1057265;iid:1057266;iid:1057266}

Green +Damage Die:
1custom6{iid:1057252;iid:1057252;iid:1057253;iid:1057253;iid:1057254;iid:1057255}

Yellow +Range Die:
1custom6{iid:1057270;iid:1057271;iid:1057272;iid:1057272;iid:1057242;iid:1057242}

Black Power Die:
1custom6{iid:1057245;iid:1057246;iid:1057246;iid:1057243;iid:1057243;iid:1057243}

Note: Roller will allow max. 3 kinds of custom dice due to character limit. If you have 4+ different dice, split them into 2 rolls.

(AND FOR GOD'S SAKE AND ALL THAT IS HOLY, USE SPACES (die + die) IN MULTIPLE ROLLS, OTHERWISE THE DESCRIPTION WILL BREAK FORUM TABLES!!
also I will seriously hurt you and set fire to your dog)

(See the recruitment/advice thread for dice examples/link to testing forum)

Descriptions:

I am a fluff description, brave heroes. Italicized text will tell you about your surroundings and give you hints on what dangers and rewards award you in the immediate area. But beware, as looks can sometimes be misleading!

This is a game mechanics text. Big Ugly Monster hits Player for 26 damage -4 armor, Player dies and respawns in town. Lose 3 conquest tokens. (no, not really)

Normal text is my commentary.

The maps will be posted every turn, possibly with arrows and markings indicating moved figures/attacks/whatever. A text summary of stats/visible cards/etc. will be attached.

also: If you like it, thumb it! Shame on you in the first thread (you know who you are )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, without further ado, here are your heroes, choose one of the two:

CMoor213 draws Steelhorns or Runewitch Astarra.

SoylentRed draws Landrec the Wise or Nanok of the Blade.

MeddlerVB draws Vyrah the Falconer or Sir Valadir.

corbon draws Spiritspeaker Mok or Tetherys.

Dywnarc, PM me your treachery card loadout so I can construct your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I presume we just have open discussions here?

I am certainly leaning towards Nanok... starts with 4 armor (goes up when I buy more melee power die) 4 move, 4 fatigue, and 16 wounds... he is a 4 pointer though... but if I invest a bit of coinage he can get up to 7 armor lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meddler
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Sorry, don't ever think to thumb things!

Is my punishment I get two quirky characters to choose from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat G
United States
Pooler
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, Runewitch seems like the best option for me (only real runner drawn), especially if Soylent takes Nanok as a front man. I am good with either as Steelhorns also does a good job at move and attack, though I am not sure how many straight run areas are on this map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nanok, Astarra and Landrec are excellent heroes. Steelhorns and Vyrah are adequate, Valadir, Mok and Tetherys poor.
For reference, Antistones points values for the heroes are, in respective order from my comments above, 439, 396, 397, 371, 326 (I think Skye is undervalued perhaps), 338, 328 and 329

Nanok+Astarra vs Landrec+Steelhorns is a variable call - I'd lean towards Nanok+Astarra myself, but others might disagree and it is not my call to make.

Vyrah becomes a no-brainer as the only decent ranged hero IMO. Skye rocks.
Tetherys vs Mok is rather bleh. I'd tend toward Mok, as at least we get full use of a decent ability, But if MeddlerVB prefers Valadir I can take Tetherys.

Summary: I'll take whichever hero others think fits the group best as neither of mine stands out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
I presume we just have open discussions here?

Treat it as a tabletop game. You're welcome to discuss anything remotely game-related, and the Overlord can and will listen and laugh at you ^++++^

MeddlerVB wrote:
Is my punishment I get two quirky characters to choose from?

Nah, the RNG was feeling a bit off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To start the game off, here is the first map update:

...I think this map may be a bit harder on the tables. Also: I hate JPEG artifacts yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
CMoor213 wrote:
Well, Runewitch seems like the best option for me (only real runner drawn), especially if Soylent takes Nanok as a front man. I am good with either as Steelhorns also does a good job at move and attack, though I am not sure how many straight run areas are on this map.

Nanok should be fun to play. I'll have to drop coinage into training but that's no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meddler
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
I really don't have a preference between Valadir and Vyrah. Both are heavily ability draw dependent and equally mediocre in my opinion, though Skye is nice.

I'm perfectly fine going with Vyrah, if thats the role to be filled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat G
United States
Pooler
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds like I will be doing Runewitch then? Looks like that's how it's going to break out.
RUNEWITCH I choose you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meddler
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
I choose Vyrah the Falconer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MeddlerVB wrote:
I choose Vyrah the Falconer

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1590/saturday-night-live-the-falco...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meddler
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
I'm hoping to draw a time travel as one of my special abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CMoor213 wrote:
Sounds like I will be doing Runewitch then? Looks like that's how it's going to break out.
RUNEWITCH I choose you!

So Runewitch is confirmed.
Nanok is all-but confirmed.
Vyrah is not-quite confirmed.

Anybody else got preferences or ideas between Mok and Tetherys?

Also worth noting:
If Nanok is taken that leaves two chainmails available.

Vyrah (or even Valadir) will take one I assume, and Astarra will not.
So If I take Mok I will be looking at Chainmail and a staff or possibly even melee weaponry to start with.
If Tetherys, Chainmail Crossbow and Shield.
Skills of course could change this, but not likely.

IMO, another reason to favour Mok - his dice split is magic/melee rather than ranged/magic.
But if a majority of others would rather have the slightly tougher Tetherys, I'll live with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:

Vyrah is not-quite confirmed.

Heh, that's what you get for refreshing and then actually doing some work before replying. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no decision if Runewitch is in play. We need either Nanok or Steelhorns. So confirm Nanok!

Corbon - play who you want!

But I'll make an argument for Mok as he is nice for us as the OL will have to spend 1 more for each card he plays... (which of course you already know) but that is likely more powerful over the long run of the game than Tetherys' skill would be... as it will reduce the number of cards the OL will end up playing over the whole course of the game by - lets do some math here:

Taking the number of OL cards - (I'm not showing my work) adding up all the threat brings us to an average of about 7 threat per card (including all the powers...) the skill makes that 8 threat on average instead... 14%? increase?

But lets remove the power cards and see what changes... cause you usually only play a few anyway...

Makes the average threat of normal cards 4.7... when that is 5.7 that's about a 21%+ increase to play cards... meaning we will likely see 21% less cards coming at us in this game. Right? I do that right?

(I took the values from descent in the dark - removed the expansions we aren't using - and then added/accounted for repeat cards in the numbers.)

Poor overlord... cannot play your cards. But hey - it's a bad economy now - should effect everyone! including the Overlord! devil

(you also get skills in 2 categories rather than 1.... which I don't know if it is a benefit for you or not.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hubenig
msg tools
mb

I would like to see a little more action on this post! Overlord has his cards, dudes are dealt out, you still need to get through the skill choosing and shopping and that takes some time, I woudl liek to see this quest started in a day or two.....

Awsome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I choose Spiritspeaker Mok
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skill draws!

Astarra: Divine Retribution, Vampiric Blood, Inner Fire
Nanok: Unmovable, Taunt, Rapid Fire
Vyrah: Mighty, Eagle Eye, Precision
Mok: Knight, Quick Casting, Earth Pact

shake

Choose your starting equipment!

also: SoylentRed, consider yourself warned: editing of order posts, especially without marking edits, is not allowed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pierzasty wrote:

Astarra: Divine Retribution, Vampiric Blood, Inner Fire
Nanok: Unmovable, Taunt, Rapid Fire
Vyrah: Mighty, Eagle Eye, Precision
Mok: Knight, Quick Casting, Earth Pact

I think nost people have fairly easy choices here.
But since traded in skills are shuffled back in before other player's skills discard turn (and thus redraw), the order matters.

Mok could go first in order to discard Knight in the hope that someone else can pick it up - Knight and Quick Casting together are too expensive, and Mok doesn't seem likely to be dishing out the sort of damage to warrant 4 attacks worth.
Alternately, Mok could discard Earth Pact instead since a new Wizardry skill is more likely to be useful than a new Combat skill.
Also alternately, Mok could discard Quick Casting so that Astarra might pick it upm, and keep his melee/magic flexibility subject to a useful new Wizardry skill.
Although Nanok and Vyrah would, I am sure, love to exchange Rapid Fire and Mighty, it can't happen. You only redraw from the deck you discarded.
I won't comment on Astarra because I don't think her draw affects anyone else (peripherically Mok maybe, though not if Mok goes before she does, which I think she should definitely).
So unless Nanok or Vyrah wish to do something unorthodox in their skill discards, I think it is clear that the only important part is that Mok goes first.

Mok's discard options:
Knight - pros = gives a chance for Vyrah to draw it.
- cons = fairly high chance of another 'not useful' skill to replace it, heavily commits Mok to Magic attacks
Quick Casting - pros = gives Astarra a chance to draw it, keeps weapon use flexibility open, good potential redraws are available
- cons = it is a good skill to 'throw away'
Earth Pact - pros = it is by far the weakest of the three skills, good redraw options
- cons = difficult to power both Knight and Quick Casting

Looking at that, my inclination is to discard Quick Casting, despite how good it is.
Any complaints, disagreements, things I've missed?

PS. If people would prefer I just make decisions without asking for input, I can do that. But my default assumption is that it is a group game and the fun is talking about it as much as doing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Further to Mok's discard options.

Melee replacements (remember no Knight, and committed to Magic with Quick Casting retained):
Good: Tough, Tiger Tattoo, Leadership
Mediocre: Bear Tattoo, Ox Tattoo
Bad: the other 10 skills available.

Magic Replacements:
Good: Wild Talent, Prodigy, Telekinesis, Necromancy, Boggs, Spiritwalker, Blessing
Mediocre: Wind Pact,
Bad: Water Pact, Fire Pact, Mata n Kata, Holy Aura, Willpower

There might be some slight variations there, but the point is that the replacement options are a lot better, both in quality and in proportions, if a magic skill is discarded than if Knight is discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meddler
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools

I'm going to exchange Mighty. Go ahead and exchange first if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pierzasty wrote:

also: SoylentRed, consider yourself warned: editing of order posts, especially without marking edits, is not allowed!

Oops! Sorry. I went back to bold that one line. . So you could see my hero choice was made. I will be sure to make edit notes if it's something small like that... Otherwise i will jus make another post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mok discards Quick Casting cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [17] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.