Hide
11 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Why are Cylon attacks considered the worst crises? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Bowman
msg tools
The title pretty much says it all...much of what I see on these forums assumes that Cylons should work to get Cylon attacks above other crises and that humans should bury those whenever possible (unless Morale is already at 1 something, probably). Why is this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TimBowman wrote:
The title pretty much says it all...much of what I see on these forums assumes that Cylons should work to get Cylon attacks above other crises and that humans should bury those whenever possible (unless Morale is already at 1 something, probably). Why is this?
Because they are the gift that keeps on giving.

Most of the other Crisis cards present a problem, you try to deal with it, and it is over.

A Cylon attack puts ships on the board. Which means that every crisis after that is going to activate some of those ships. And if you get a couple near each other, it becomes a nightmare to try to deal with unless you are close to jumping.

Plus, Revealed Cylons then have more options since they can control those ships once they are on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
They also help you deal damage with subsequent Crises. Without Cylon ships on the board, humans are free to do things like XO the President or Press Room to get more Skill Cards or other goodies. With Cylon Attacks out, they're spending Actions shooting down Raiders, repairing damaged areas, moving the civvies to safety, and generally doing things that don't actually restore Skill Cards and resources to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And no jump symbol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TimBowman wrote:
Some of the special rules are annoying too. There's one that's -1 to jump prep track, another that damages 2 vipers in Reserves, and another that causes discard of skill cards, among others.

Also, CAC (Cylon Attack cards) aren't always absolutely the best choice. If humans are low on morale, then it may be better to pull up crisis cards that lead to loss of morale then go after population that's at 11. In the base game, Caprica allows you to go after CAC anyways, but even when there are bunch of cylon ships out there, you may be better off playing a non-CAC even though the CAC will allow cylon ship icon activations (recall, if you pull a crisis card via Caprica, the cylon ship icon and jump icon in the corners are ignored), put even more ships out, and hit the Colonial fleet with a special rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's mostly about overwhelming the humans with too many things to deal with and too few actions. And of course, it's often times the most effective way to lower population, which can keep the human team from hitting FTL Control early, allowing for more crises to activate.

One thing that is potentially beneficial to the humans is that no spending of skill cards happens on CACs, but then, the same could be said for straight choice event cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before but as a Cylon activating Caprica it's one of a few ways to activate Cylon Ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a human Roslin I've actually played an attack card for our benefit.

We were hurting for cards and we were at BLUE-4 (-1 pop). I figured it couldn't hurt us and the special rule wasn't bad either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, assaults are NEVER helpful. But late in the jump cycle, they might not matter much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure it's necessarily the case that Attacks are the *worst* crises, but certainly, the average hurt an attack will do is significantly higher than that of an event or skill check. The reasons have been summed up, but essentially, it's the fact that their special event is generally about as bad as a light-medium event choice, plus the lack of jump prep, plus the fact cylons can activate ships with them, plus the obvious fact that you end up with lots of Cylons rolling around Galactica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Dell
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
They are situationually the worst. If there are already some units on the board they are bad. If units are in position to strike they are really bad. If the humans just jumped they are terrible. Because now you have a whole jump cycle trying to worry about protecting you civvies and protecting against heavy raiders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.