Subject: Can you attach the spell to a creature that is about to score? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the question is: If my turn just started and I have a creature that survived and am about to score it can I attach a ready spell to this creature just before I score it? I didn't find anything preventing it, but just want to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is my understanding of the rules. You can cast the spell at any point during your turn, so you cast it before the creature scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not so sure. On page 8 of the rulebook under Phase 1: Score Creatures it states "If you have any creatures in your ready area, you must score them now." This is at the the very begining of your turn and they bolded must. If the creature is scored your score keeper has already been moved on the glory track and the creature is no longer a creature, it is in the discard pile so I am not sure what you could attatch your spell too.

I realize you can cast spells any time during your turn but it seems that by the rules as soon as your turn begins scoring is done and your creature is gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
I'm not so sure. On page 8 of the rulebook under Phase 1: Score Creatures it states "If you have any creatures in your ready area, you must score them now." This is at the the very begining of your turn and they bolded must. If the creature is scored your score keeper has already been moved on the glory track and the creature is no longer a creature, it is in the discard pile so I am not sure what you could attatch your spell too.

I realize you can cast spells any time during your turn but it seems that by the rules as soon as your turn begins scoring is done and your creature is gone.

This is how I would interpret the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
This particular question has been roaming around the forums for awhile (there was another thread titled after the spell that does it, and it was asked again in some general FAQ-like thread). Unfortunately, we have yet to get an official ruling on it, and it didn't appear in the Official FAQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
b005t3r wrote:
So the question is: If my turn just started and I have a creature that survived and am about to score it can I attach a ready spell to this creature just before I score it? I didn't find anything preventing it, but just want to make sure.
This seems contrary to the intent of the card. If I were writing the rules and wanted to write a spell that functioned as you are stating, I would state it something like "the successfully cast spell scores glory when any of the caster's creatures score." Attaching it to a creature implies that it was intended that the creature be able to survive the attacks of other players in order for the spell to be able to score. Otherwise, why go through the trouble of attaching it to a creature at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
fograsher wrote:
b005t3r wrote:
This seems contrary to the intent of the card. If I were writing the rules and wanted to write a spell that functioned as you are stating, I would state it something like "the successfully cast spell scores glory when any of the caster's creatures score." Attaching it to a creature implies that it was intended that the creature be able to survive the attacks of other players in order for the spell to be able to score. Otherwise, why go through the trouble of attaching it to a creature at all?

Because it's a dice-rolling game whose primary source of outcome is luck? So I would think the designers wanted you to attach it to the creature right then...making it a risk to do so and adding to the luck already involved in the game.

I do hope an official ruling on this comes soon as my group and I have been finding other odd holes to skirt the rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, this makes sense - you can't attach anything before scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.