Popular Tags: [View All]
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(idea)

Kevin posted this picture a few weeks ago on the SMG Facebook page, and I thought these big Action placards in the foreground looked pretty snazzy. After playing DoD, I can imagine larger plaques help players see the order of the phasing actions better, especially on table/maps larger than the DoD-size board, where seeing the phase cards could be a challenge. Also, I think these plaques could be helpful for explaining to new players the game's phases, actions, and options that can occur during a turn.

Now here's something I'd like to propose, and it involves LBG making available the artwork for these placards, and maybe adding a little more to them too, but could these Action plaques be turned into rules reference aids also, by adding some "crib notes" to them? My idea would be to have the plaques double-side printable, and on the opposite side of each, there could be a synopsis of the action's options and guidelines. If something along these lines could be done, then the plaques could do double-duty as quick game aids, and each player side might have their own set for referencing during a turn without needing to dive into the rules for basic playing info.

I'd like a set or two, and if they were available in PDF form, configured for double-sided printing (on cardstock, or even to be plastic laminated if chosen), they might be a real benefit for teaching SMG to others, and even help master the SMG game turns further by even us 'experts'. ( whistle )

Does anyone think this idea has any usefulness, and if so, could LBG make it happen? Are there any thoughts along this line that might make the idea more useful or workable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Official SMG Action Placards
Dave,

That's a great idea. I could probably re-create the graphics or capture them from a card.

Can you give me an idea of what your think needs to go on back?

I think the best way to do this honestly would be to make them printable to those folding name placards that are used in business meetings. They are cheap at office supply stores and could be modified a great deal with just some minor changes to the file.

I will be glad to work something up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, those tri-fold "tent" thingies!

Well the "rules" side could have those guidelines that would directly pertain to the illustrated action......like for LOOK, a concise summary of the Draw, and Sight abilities. Noting that the ID' Soldier has the option to draw extra cards if he has this attribute, and maybe include the "IMPORTANT" notes from the rules (such as using the Spotted chit to mark a successfully sighted Figure). Oh, and the info that's yet to be included in the rules about being automatically spotted when shooting, and that if the target soldier(s) are spotted, then all enemy Soldiers have sighted them and are eligible to shoot at them.

These "plaques" could list the bullet points and quidelines to govern each action's options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Made the artwork for these with two border versions:

Any preferences?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda like the top one.
Less ink is always good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twthomas wrote:
Less ink is always good.

Good point Therron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.