Popular Tags: [View All]
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently picked up LOTR:LCG and am really liking it. Solo is good, but two-player has been great. We've only been playing with the individual spheres as they come (no dual-sphere deck building or anything fancy) and trying our hands at the first two scenarios in the Core Set. The third scenario looks a bit difficult without going dual-sphere. We'll get there eventually.

We've been thinking of picking up some of the expansions, but have been wondering: should we hold out for a big box before the holidays?

It seems like with the number of expansions out and no new expansions for November (yet) that a big box might, or perhaps should, be in the works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leacock
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "big box" expansion for the next cycle of cards will be released after the 6 expansion packs for the base set cycle. The only reason to not get the current expansion packs is if you don't want more cards and scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Luis Rodriguez Mena
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'm expecting a new sphere...at least laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylvicolus wrote:
The "big box" expansion for the next cycle of cards will be released after the 6 expansion packs for the base set cycle. The only reason to not get the current expansion packs is if you don't want more cards and scenarios.

Is there anything official about a "big box" expansion? Or is it just supposition based on hope, the idea of a Big Box & Adventure Cycle unit, or previous history with FFG and their LCG lines?

Personally, I would like to have two adventure cycles for every "big box," especially if I get three of every card in the adventure cycles, but not in the "big box". $120-180 retail, (even after discounts are added in,) for each big box when you buy two ore three for the card selection, is a lot each year, when added to 12 adventure packs at $15 retail each per year. Say an average of about 1/3 discount for the games online and we're talking $180 a year for two big boxes and twelve adventure packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
jose633 wrote:
And I'm expecting a new sphere...at least laugh

Possibly. I would guess that if they did that, the first two big box expansions would feature new spheres. That way, each subsequent cycle could feature one hero per sphere per cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulRadagast wrote:
Sylvicolus wrote:

Is there anything official about a "big box" expansion? Or is it just supposition based on hope, the idea of a Big Box & Adventure Cycle unit, or previous history with FFG and their LCG lines?

Personally, I would like to have two adventure cycles for every "big box," especially if I get three of every card in the adventure cycles, but not in the "big box". $120-180 retail, (even after discounts are added in,) for each big box when you buy two ore three for the card selection, is a lot each year, when added to 12 adventure packs at $15 retail each per year. Say an average of about 1/3 discount for the games online and we're talking $180 a year for two big boxes and twelve adventure packs.

I'm just full of wild speculation and curiosity

Seriously, I've just been thinking about whether I want to start purchasing the packs or see what happens over the holidays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jose633 wrote:
And I'm expecting a new sphere...at least :laugh:

I would hate this. There is already a lack of cards for each sphere, adding another sphere would water down the card pool even more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saej wrote:
jose633 wrote:
And I'm expecting a new sphere...at least :laugh:

I would hate this. There is already a lack of cards for each sphere, adding another sphere would water down the card pool even more!

I wholeheartedly agree. Introducing a new sphere now doesn't really add to the game in any great way, but adds a whole huge chunk of time to the wait for a solid deck-building card base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron G
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A big box expansion is almost guaranteed. I believe every other LCG had had at least one. With the popularity of LotR:LCG they would be fools not to release one.

I doubt there will be a new sphere. The current spheres cover questing(Spirit), combat(Tactics), deck manipulation(Lore), and support(Leadership). What would the new spheres niche be? I would like to see multi-sphere cards, cards that require resources from two sphere to play, similar to gold cards in Magic. My choice of theme would be a journey over and under the mountains of Moria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Talese
United States
Horsham
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the multisphere cards. They will cost more to play. There is so much more then can do to add depth. It all comes down to how clever they developers are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulRadagast wrote:

Your mistaken on what a big box expansion for the LCGs are. Big box expansions are not core sets, they typically have 55 individual cards at 3x each and retail for $25 or $30 MSRP. This formula might be switched up some because this LCG is different than the others but player cards should be 3x each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm putting my money on a big box expansion before Christmas. FFG has really streamlined their LCG releases, with cycles of 6 packs (with 60 cards) followed by a deluxe expansion of 165 cards. They all contain 3 copies of each card nowadays, so I think we can be fairly confident that it will contain 3 of each player card.

I think we will probably get at least a couple of generic encounter sets for the upcoming cycle. Maybe it will be centered around the mountains and we'll see a lot of Dwarves? (at least that's my guess)

But I'm really looking forward to seeing the distribution of the 165 new cards. How many of the following will we see? The numbers below show the contents of the Core set and my guess for the first deluxe expansion:

Card type Core set Big box

Heroes 12 4 (all for a new sphere)
Player cards 120 87 (20*3 new sphere, 2*3 each old sphere, 1*3 neutral)
Quest cards 10 (3) 6 (2 quests)
Encounter cards 84 (7) 68 (5 encounter sets)

I disagree that it is too early to introduce a new sphere, there are already plenty of cards to build dual sphere decks. And if they wait for too long to introduce a new sphere it will have a hard time catching up with the others. I really hope they will introduce a new sphere in the first big box expansion, but right now I can't think of what the new sphere's area of specialty will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Unger
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
A Lannister always pays his debts.
badge
"There are no bad pictures; that's just how your face looks sometimes."
mbmbmbmb
I'm probably alone with this, but I'd really like the first deluxe expansion to only contain heroes and player cards. The meat of the game (at least for me) is in the deckbuilding, but I feel like a lot more variety in cards is needed for that aspect of the game to truly shine.

A thematic arc for each sphere plus a few nice filler cards and I'd be really happy. Quest and encounter cards take up half the space of each adventure pack and allow for only a handful of new player cards each month. Not enough for my taste, to be honest

Whichever way FFG goes, I'm excited for the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:
I disagree that it is too early to introduce a new sphere, there are already plenty of cards to build dual sphere decks. And if they wait for too long to introduce a new sphere it will have a hard time catching up with the others. I really hope they will introduce a new sphere in the first big box expansion, but right now I can't think of what the new sphere's area of specialty will be.

Why would you even want a new sphere? All that the sphere mechanic does is limit what cards can be used together. It makes sense to limit it to some degree so that decks can have certain "flavours", but beyond a certain point it just limits the scope of deck building. Oh, and it also serves as an excuse to reprint the same card multiple time (e.g. an ally with exactly the same stats, just a different name and sphere).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:

Why would you even want a new sphere? All that the sphere mechanic does is limit what cards can be used together. It makes sense to limit it to some degree so that decks can have certain "flavours", but beyond a certain point it just limits the scope of deck building. Oh, and it also serves as an excuse to reprint the same card multiple time (e.g. an ally with exactly the same stats, just a different name and sphere).

+1 to this!! thumbsup

Any deck can have anything, so there is no real point in having a new sphere.
If you want new cards, just place them in the existing spheres.... the sky is the limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Deebs wrote:

Why would you even want a new sphere?

I mostly play 3-player games. My wife isn't fond of deck-building and prefers playing single sphere decks. My brother and I like the challenge of putting together cool dual sphere decks. Right now, we're sharing the card pool of one sphere, but we would prefer to have two seperate spheres each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
paralipsis wrote:

+1 to this!! thumbsup

Any deck can have anything, so there is no real point in having a new sphere.
If you want new cards, just place them in the existing spheres.... the sky is the limit.

Wrong, the 3 copies of each card is the limit which is a problem when my brother and I share a sphere (see post above).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given how few cards per sphere get added with each adventure pack, thereby dragging out a refined deck building process, another sphere sounds like a bad idea indeed.

@Deebs: If I'm not mistaken the three card limit is per deck only, so I don't see how your brother and you using the same sphere limits that further. Of course that would mean dashing out more money for additional core sets (unless you use proxies, which I personally consider the better solution).

@OP: If you want more adventures and encounters the small adventure packs might be better for you. If you are more interested in cards to build decks with you might be better off waiting for possible big box expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:

Wrong, the 3 copies of each card is the limit which is a problem when my brother and I share a sphere (see post above).

Why would it be a problem?
If you want to use 2 decks that share the same sphere(s), buy multiple sets/expansions.

What would having another sphere add or change? Nothing: it would be just like having 2 decks, with all different spheres... I really don't see the point.

Say you have:
Deck 1: Leadership Spirit
Deck 2: Leadership Lore

Deck 1 and 2 need to share the same cards, so you would need multiple sets. I know it is a money drain, but, hey...

What would "another sphere" add to the equation? Nothing, since you can "replace" the 5th sphere with a preexisting sphere you are not currently using: Tactics.

So, problem solved: you could just have 2 decks:
Deck 1: Tactics Spirit
Deck 2: Leadership Lore

And Ta-Da!!! no need to share cards; and, most of all, no need to have a fifth sphere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:

The limit is a per-deck limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
Deebs wrote:

Why would it be a problem?
If you want to use 2 decks that share the same sphere(s), buy multiple sets/expansions.

paralipsis wrote:
Deebs wrote:

The limit is a per-deck limit.

I forgot to mention that I also have a wallet limit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:

We all do, to some extent,

But what would a fifth sphere add, if you already have a 4th sphere that you are not even using?

Consider that, actually, the spheres are already 5... don't forget Neutrals! But this is a different story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
Deebs wrote:

We all do, to some extent,

But what would a fifth sphere add, if you already have a 4th sphere that you are not even using?

You don't seem to understand that we're already using all 4 spheres and would greatly enjoy having a fifth one. With a fifth sphere my wife could play with one, and my brother and I with two each without having to share the cards of a common sphere.

If you only play one or two player games then I completely agree that a fifth sphere is more or less redundant.

edit:removed snarky comment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:

You don't seem to understand that we're already using all 4 spheres and would greatly enjoy having a fifth one. With a fifth sphere my wife could play with one, and my brother and I with two each without having to share the cards of a common sphere.

If you only play one or two player games then I completely agree that a fifth sphere is more or less redundant.

edit:removed snarky comment

Ok, I misread one of your previous posts; in this case, yes, a fifth sphere would make it more manageable, but I doubt it would solve the "money issue": more spheres means more cards anyway, and more cards to buy means more money, no matter how you look at it.

Anyway, while I agree that your gaming situation you would greatly benefit from a fifth sphere, the game itself would feel redundant.

@OP: sorry if we hijacked your thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:

That doesn't seem like a good reason to add a sphere. A fifth sphere means a greater number of cards are required for the same deck-building opportunities. More cool cards in the existing spheres than you can fit into a single deck will allow the same sphere to be playable by more than one person using a single set of cards. You just need to be able to share to create balanced decks. Given that it's a co-op game, that shouldn't be too hard.

A new sphere is a gimmick the designers can use to stretch the lifespan of the game out somewhere down the line. Playing that hand too soon just weakens the game itself while it's still growing, as well as taking away a marketing tool they can use when sales are starting to level off down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.