Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam London
United States
San Luis Obispo
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have actually been using this variant for a while, but am only now posting it because I brought it up in another thread. All aspects of gameplay are the same with the exception of replacing adventure cards after they are completed. The upper left adventure card dealt at start up is considered adventure 1. The players can attempt and complete any adventure they wish on their turn. The difference is that any card other than adventure 1 is not replaced upon completion. Instead, once adventure 1 is completed all remaining cards are slid to the left, with the lower row wrapping to the upper row, and then adventure cards are dealt to the empty areas until six are again in play. The card now in the upper left position is adventure 1. Other world adventure cards are handled normally, and are kept separately from the central six. We have been playing with this variant to get around having some adventures just remain in play since no one wants to attempt them (too risky/not enough reward). So far this has fixed that problem quite handily.

There are a couple other rules changes that make it better though. One is the common idea of forcing players to spread out their monster placement after all the monster tasks are filled, such that each adventure must have a monster before they can double up. The other one is the genius idea already brought up on the forums by djfein to resolve the failure effect of an adventure card each roll in which a task in not completed. This adds a push your luck component I think a lot of us probably expect from dice games.

I would love to hear thoughts anyone has on this variant. In light of a thought by Grudunza in another thread, I am thinking forcing all adventures to be resolved besides the ones in play before game end is going to the opposite extreme. I am thinking it would be okay to make it where at midnight players can communally pay 3 clue tokens to discard an adventure in play without resolution. Thoughts?

EDIT: After more thought about the paid adventure discard mechanic it occurred to me I did not cover what to do if a monster token is on the adventure. I guess it would either have to be discarded or placed on a different adventure card in play. Also, if the clue tokens are paid to discard adventure 1 obviously the cards are replaced as mentioned above. I would especially love feedback on this idea, as I think I will incorporate it in my next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
really needs testing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am going to playtest this tonight once and once using my own difficulty variant idea. I will report back our findings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.