Subject: Topping the value of Detective in 5 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BoB Teijema
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we played a 5 player game of Adel Verpflichtet (aka Hoity Toity)

It turned out that playing very "defensively" was a guarantee for succes. Never playing the exhibit was the winning strategy in combination with a detective every now and then. Never playing an exhibit guaranteed good deck-building and it also guaranteed the fifth place, resulting in 5 steps ahead when catching a thief with your detective.

In the end game the two last exhibits were won easily because of the excellent deck.

We thought that the 5 points for the detective were too much. In a three player game of course there's a max of three points for the detective, making it a much more balanced game. Exhibits will be more valuable then.

So we came to the following suggestion: When catching a thief with your detective, you will be rewarded points in the following manner:
First or second position: 1 point
Third or fourth position: 2 points
Fifth position: 3 points

NB: This just goes for a five player game.

Please let me know your comments

BoB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all Bob let me say thanks for posting something on this game, always a favourite of mine and a design classic in my opinion.

I'm not convinced about your idea but that doesn't mean to say it's a bad one. If I'd recorded the results of the many times I've played this perhaps I would have some evidence to confirm or deny your analysis. Your opening remark is that you played "a" game of this - ie one game, and that doesn't seem enough. It seems to me that if you had played a second game and everyone had noticed this detective power, then the detective would have been played more often, and presumably become less powerful as a result. Of course, if everyone sends a detective to the castle, no-one will ever move!

Anyway, if your variant works for your group, play it by all means. And once again, thanks for posting on the subject of this rather excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mb
I would second John's statement. There is not "The One and Only Winning Strategy". Every Game is different. And if other players try to copy or adapt to your strategy you have to change your strategy too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.