Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HURTZ All/Expert/Optional

Leases Game Resources

You have the power to Lease. You may use this power to lease cards from the deck, or any powers, flares, and moons which are not in the game. To do this, another player must request a specific item from you, You may refuse to lease the item or, if you decide to lease it, you must charge one or more Lucre. If the renting player meets your price, you elect the requested card from the deck (not the discard pile) or the requested power, moon, or flare and give it to him. You may lease at any time, but the item in all cases must be discarded at the end of the encounter, even if it is not used. Cards go to the discard pile, but power, flares, and moons are set aside and may not be used again in the game.

HISTORY: As galactic conditions became more perilous, the Hurtz saw the need for a stable supplier of arms to all. Their slogan is: "We'll rent anything that's still face down."

Use Only In A Game With Lucre

FLARE

All
Wild: You may lease your power to another player for any agreed price in Lucre. He uses the power instead of his own, and you may not use your power this encounter.

All
Super: You may switch the item leased with another from the same grouping.

Commentary: This is a Lucre power originally published by Eon. The above is the Eon version. The Mayfair version only had you able to lease from a random draw array of cards, flares, and powers at a time. I never cared for Hurtz, either as having it or in the game in general. As Hurtz, I would not want another player to get the use of a good resource. With the power in the game in general, it just irked me that any game component is available for use. The thrill of the unknown is gone. .

However, in matter of principal, I'm not taking the power out of my set. For me, anything that's part of the game proper stays in the game. I have no problem taking out a home-made power I previously put in because it's not part of the original game. If the playing group as a whole doesn't want a particular power available in the game, such as Silencer, I'm fine with that, but as far as I'm concerned, "canon" resources of the game are still in the game set. It's just a quirk of mine.

In a game, I'm not going to be "upset" if another player does have Hurtz. I'd regard it as annoying as I would Shadow or Butler. It would be a good annoying even though I don't care for the power for the sake of enjoyment of the game. However, I do remember one game during my college years where the Hurtz player got at least 10 Lucre (this is Eon Lucre, mind you) from the two main players in one encounter. All he had to say was "Hey, you want to win?", and the Lucre just poured onto his star disc. It was hilarious.

For the Wild Flare in multi-power games, I rule that the player to whom you lease the power chooses which of his powers your power would replace because that player is volunteering to lease your power. I contrast this to the Wild Philanthropist Flare where the player of the Flare chooses the replaced power because the victim is forced to take the power.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hadsil wrote:
The Mayfair version only had you able to lease from a random draw array of cards, flares, and powers at a time.

Really? That ruins it, I think. This is a power that is mainly about salesmanship, but it also rewards knowledge of the game, since you can try to sell exactly what the person needs.

However, even the Eon version is possibly a little on the weak side. Unlike Force, who can essentially guarantee victory (not literally, but usually), Hurtz can only give you a boost. So, it's more plausible that the other players can shut your power out of the game by simply not buying. Also, if your sales efforts get too annoying, you increase the chances of earning a lock out.

I think it's still a fun ability though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
hadsil wrote:
The Mayfair version only had you able to lease from a random draw array of cards, flares, and powers at a time.

Really? That ruins it, I think. This is a power that is mainly about salesmanship, but it also rewards knowledge of the game, since you can try to sell exactly what the person needs.

I think the change was made mostly for the sake of simplicity and speed - so you don't have to go digging for the card, flare, or power you need. And you don't have to keep track of what's in the discard pile and what's still in the deck. Also, if someone tries to lease a specific flare of a power not in the game, and it turns out not to be in the stack of unused flares, then suddenly everyone knows it's in the deck.

The limited array of leasable items makes Hurtz less of a guarantee - you can't get just anything. It was a selection of 3 Powers, 2 Flares, and 5 cards from the deck (which could also be Flares). If there was nothing anyone wanted in the array, Hurtz could discard it all and replace it at the start of his turn.

I always thought it worked pretty well. There were excellent opportunities for taking advantage os someone's desperation. "You lost your power because of too few home bases? Well, here's a Rebirth Artifact you can lease. And it will only cost you... ALL of your Lucre!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Matt Stone's set there is a home made Edict called Moon Zap. It allows you to force someone off a moon and discard the moon for a new one. I played Hurtz and Moon Zap was in the array. Matt Stone adopted Mayfair Hurtz for his set to replace Eon Hurtz though still an Eon game.

Players moaned about a player being on a certain moon because it made things difficult. Despite all the moaning not one player was willing to pay one freaking Lucre to buy the Moon Zap. In a losing encounter in which I was a losing ally, another losing ally wouldn't spend a Lucre for a +2 Reinforcement that would enable us to win. The players absolutely refused to give me Lucre as Hurtz for anything. I was at one less power for the game. It was not fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, I recall similar problems with it.

I wonder if the power could be refurbished to give it some teeth. What if you (the Hurtz player) could use stuff yourself if nobody buys it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
I wonder if the power could be refurbished to give it some teeth. What if you (the Hurtz player) could use stuff yourself if nobody buys it.

That's probably in the right direction. These kinds of aliens have the carrot but lack the stick. Whether it's Force, Hurtz, Lloyd, or any other power where you need other players' permission to use it, in principle they all need some kind of growing risk/penalty that forces them to eventually pay for your services. I built this concept into Genie and it works very well for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
hadsil wrote:
In Matt Stone's set there is a home made Edict called Moon Zap.

Moon Zap was also in Mayfair's MCE.

Bill Martinson wrote:
Rubric wrote:

That's probably in the right direction. These kinds of aliens have the carrot but lack the stick. Whether it's Force, Hurtz, Lloyd, or any other power where you need other players' permission to use it, in principle they all need some kind of growing risk/penalty that forces them to eventually pay for your services. I built this concept into Genie and it works very well for her.

Exactly! Like with Fido. And there were some others I recall in the old Encounter magazine, like Knot, which can take a card or retrieve a ship if no one uses him.

How about this for Hurtz: If at the beginning of Hurtz' turn, no one has leased anything since his last turn, all players must pay 1 lucre to the Hurtz, who then discards and replaces his array. A player may also pay 1 lucre to the Hurtz to keep an item in the array when it is replaced (so it's available when he needs it). Such a player may ask that multiple items be kept in the array, paying one lucre for each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather give Hurtz a Cosmic token each turn nobody buys anything from him. Then let Hurtz spend the cosmic tokens to buy stuff from himself. It gives people an incentive to get the items off the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.