Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I only use one expansion at a time, I don't use anywhere near all of the new additions and still rate this expansion a 9.3. The forty-three Mythos cards alone are worth the price of this expansion.

One of the best features of these Mythos cards is that they add gate bursts to the base game, making those expansions without gate bursts harder and really cranking up the difficulty level of those that already have them.

Black Goat of the Woods: The additional Cult Membership Encounters are quite interesting and make the gamble of drawing one worthwhile. But beware, a couple are just as brutal as the originals. One drawback is that the best way to obtain the membership is still through the Speak To Your Friend Corruption card.

Curse of the Dark Pharaoh: I used the Herald in my previous eight-game series and so this past eight games held no surprises regarding the Herald itself. I have mixed emotions about the special ability that causes an investigator to roll for a curse when obtaining an Exhibit Item.

Being cursed is quite a big deal in AH, severely handicapping the afflicted investigator; so, this negative feature diminishes the incentive to obtain the Item, which is the main appeal and positive feature of the expansion itself, which has no new Common or Unique Items in it.

The best srategy is to have Rex collect the Exhibit Items until another investigator has him blessed, which is difficult to do because of his clue-collecting ability. Being dealt Egyptologist is also a pretty good deal, since that skill gives an immediate Exhibit Item. My usual record against CoftheDP is usually 6-2, but this time I was no better than 4-4.

I haven't tried the societies yet, but when the big boxes come up in the queue, I'll give them a try.

Haven't tried it with Lurker.

Did not use the new Act cards, but, again, my won/loss record suffered as a result of the new Mythos cards in my eight-game series.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worth it just for the Mythos cards? That's a big statement...Do you use the new Mythos cards instead of the originals from the Base Game, or in addition to them?

I hit on the Rex strategy with Dark Pharaoh- remember you're not automatically Cursed; if you're Blessed you have a 50/50 chance of simply losing the Blessing (Curse and Blessing cancel each other out) so I send Blessed characters chasing after the Exhibit Items...

Lurker's still pretty new, so I'd hold off a while on expanding it if (ok, when) I get Miskatonic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
Worth it just for the Mythos cards? That's a big statement...Do you use the new Mythos cards instead of the originals from the Base Game, or in addition to them?

My girlfriend and I have played just the base game with Misk Horror mythos cards added, and it has cranked up the difficulty immensely (we actually lost a game to Yog). We are planning to try one or more of the expansions added in next, although I still don't think that we will ever use more than two expansions at any given time. I agree that Misk Horror is a great addition even to the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:

I hit on the Rex strategy with Dark Pharaoh- remember you're not automatically Cursed; if you're Blessed you have a 50/50 chance of simply losing the Blessing (Curse and Blessing cancel each other out) so I send Blessed characters chasing after the Exhibit Items...

Lurker's still pretty new, so I'd hold off a while on expanding it if (ok, when) I get Miskatonic.

I mix the new Mythos with the base game Mythos; but, they add so much, that I still feel that for the percentage of this new expansion I use that those cards were worth the price.

The blessed strategy is one I hadn't thought of; but, I usually don't wind up getting too many characters blessed. I don't believe in the eight games I had one blessing.

Lurker just adds a half dozen new relationship cards, so don't let its newness stop you from this expansion. The expansion is mostly geared for those who use a minimum of two expansions. You'll have tons of new encounter cards, both OW and in Arkham if you use more than one.

The big-box expansions mostly add Arkham Encounter cards.

One thing I didn't mention is that with CofDP I downloaded the rules for the revised edition and have implemented the Ancient Whispers mechanic. With so many tokens, I just selected a Bast token and used that.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But the Ancient Whispers token looks so cool.....

So do the Patrol markers, which have only been used once in several games of Dark Pharaoh (thus far) so I use one as a Terror Marker instead...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the dual-expansion cards work just fine with a single expansion. The only except are the Blight cards.

But for those who do use two expansions, here's a trick: Stack the decks! Rather than shuffling all the MH cards into their respective decks, keep the dual-expansion cards out of the mix until you use both expansion. Then put these cards ON TOP of their respective decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the ideas in this new expansion.I've glossed over the new components on the net prior to deciding on my purchase.

1) More epic battle cards with special conditions ,more reckoning cards.With my patched up variant of the Lurker, playing with the herald should be really fun.

2)The King in Yellow is finally fully fledged out, and lethal with the everpresent threat of the Act cards.
3)The institutions sound nifty as from what I've gathered, one gives you easy access to rarely seen cards: the Sheldon Gang Membership, as well as letting you heal Stamina/Sanity more easily, without having to waste precious time in the Hospital and Asylum.
Then another lets you have expeditions to expansion boards without being chained to the Train Station. Suddenly, the wealth of expansion encounters makes sense in light of this addition.

4)The new Mythos cards with alternate gate openings will surely liven up the rather sleepy Dunwich and Innsmouth boards.

Well, I'll be buying it this Tuesday. Looks like a good investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.