Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completed the french translation of the rule book now ( http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/695498/traduction-des-regles...) and during this work, some points came to my mind.

These points are not listed into the unofficial FAQ v1.1 or if they are, not enough clearly to me. My english is far from being perfect so maybe sometimes that is just an understanding issue due to specific wording.

1- on page 8, attacker must roll the number die when hitting a ship next to an asteroid. Well, understood. But what about an asteroid not close to the target but yet in the line of sight of the target ? I mean : the attack should target through the asteroid so in my opinion there is also a chance that the shoot blasts the wandering rock instead of the targetted ship. Your opinion ?

2- on page 8, still about the asteroid, the rules say that "ships cannot [...] be placed onto a space an asteroid occupies". What about launching a ship ? Does the word "placed" include the launching facility ?

3- on page 9, does the orbital market allow a player to draw one card only no matter is the number of his ships onto the orbital market tile or could he draw two cards if two of his ships are located onto this tile ?

4- on page 9, when passing through the warp gate with a medium ship, does the entire stand (2 spaces) must be within 13 spaces or only one side is enough, meaning that the second one could be 14 spaces away from the warp gate ?

5- on page 9, the section "replacing attached tactic cards" is really confusing, especially the last sentence : "To replace an attached
card, you must pay the full energy cost to attach the new card, then choose an existing
card of the same type that is attached to that ship card and discard it."

The "discard it" seems to refer to the card chosen card ?! From the FAQ, I understand that to replace an attached card, the player has to choose from his hand a new card of the same type as the card to discard. For instance, if a player wish to replace a Hero, he must choose another Hero. Is it correct ?

And if it is correct, how a player can replace a tactic card if he "reached your total for that card type" ? It seems a bit conflicting : if he already played all the card of a specific type, how can he replace a card of that type ?

Well, that's all ! Thanx for reading me ! blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here my thoughts:

1) No effect on LOS or hits as the theory is that this takes into account the 3D aspect of space. You could be 'higher' than the asteroid and therefore see 'over' it.

2) I would rule that 'placed' includes launching.

3) Only one card 'If one OR more ships ships....'

4) I would rule that the entire ship has to be within the 13 spaces. 'you may chose an empty space that is within 13 spaces....' and ' If it is a medium ship, it must be placed so that both sides of the base are on empty spaces.'

5) Basically, if you reached your max of a type on a ship than to add a new card you must discard one of a like type. Ie, if you have 2 weapons cards on a ship with a max of 2 additional weapons, to add a new one, you must discard on of the 2 already on the ship. This is done at the same time, no turn gap between. You would add the new weapon and pull one of the old ones off at the same time.

Hope that helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
Here my thoughts:

1) No effect on LOS or hits as the theory is that this takes into account the 3D aspect of space. You could be 'higher' than the asteroid and therefore see 'over' it.

2) I would rule that 'placed' includes launching.

3) Only one card 'If one OR more ships ships....'

4) I would rule that the entire ship has to be within the 13 spaces. 'you may chose an empty space that is within 13 spaces....' and ' If it is a medium ship, it must be placed so that both sides of the base are on empty spaces.'

Thanx : all of this makes sense.

ropya wrote:

5) Basically, if you reached your max of a type on a ship than to add a new card you must discard one of a like type. Ie, if you have 2 weapons cards on a ship with a max of 2 additional weapons, to add a new one, you must discard on of the 2 already on the ship. This is done at the same time, no turn gap between. You would add the new weapon and pull one of the old ones off at the same time.

If you are right - and surely you're - I think I misunderstood the meaning of "reached your total for that card type". I thought this total was the max number (i.e. 3) of the same card into your tactic deck. But if I well understand your explanation, this total is in fact the capacity handles by the ship card for each type of tactic card. And so, here is the light : this rule is clear to me now. Thank you !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all of J.R.'s responses, but I also want to point out that you don't have to be at your maximum card limit on a ship to replace a card. If I'm allowed to have 2 heroes on a ship, and I only have 1, I can choose to replace that hero with a new one, rather than add a second hero. Most of the time, you'll want to just add the new card, but the rulebook does specifically allow you to replace a card even if you're not maxed out on that type.

Here's the relevant section from the rulebook (highlight added by me):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx cbs42 for your swearing. thumbsup

An other question : who rolls the number die when attacking a ship adjacent to an asteroid ? I assume this is the attacker who rolls this die to determine if his attack hits the target or the asteroid...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook doesn't specify who rolls for asteroid cover. I'm always inclined to have the defender roll since it's a defensive ability, but it doesn't really matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
The rulebook doesn't specify who rolls for asteroid cover. I'm always inclined to have the defender roll since it's a defensive ability, but it doesn't really matter.

laugh That's a point of view. On my side, I prefer that the attacker rolls the dice "to simulate" the ability of his ship to precisely shoot at the target avoiding the asteroid.

But as you said, it doesn't really matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a new question regarding a special rule for Mission 4, the one concerning the Remote Engines.

1- which die to roll to move the asteroids ? I assume it is the number d8 provided with the game.

2- does the ISN players have to move the asteroid for the total value of the rolled die or may they choose to move up to the value of the die ?

Yes, indeed, there are 2 questions. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.