Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings!

I know that a number of you participate in or help with board gaming at your local libraries.

If you know of a library with a regular board gaming program, would you please post the details about the gaming program here?

Thanks!

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ross
United States
Winfield
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Winfield Public Library holds a gaming day every 2nd Saturday of the month. I helped get it started about a year and a half ago with the support of Joanna Brazil, the "children's librarian." I don't remember Jo's official title.

The gaming day is oriented towards kids. The number of attendees ranges from 6 to 20 with a wide range of ages. I usually bring 30 or so light to middle weight games. A few times, I have been able to interest some of the other area gamers to attend.

Pat Ross
Winfield, Kansas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SAGA meets twice a month (the 2nd and 4th Saturday) at the El Toro Library in Lake Forest, CA. Hours are 10am to 4:45pm.

El Toro Community Library
24672 Raymond Way, Lake Forest, CA 92630

Website with info:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/stradv_association/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Crutchfield
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Our libraries hold gaming days about once a month where library volunteers teach people how different games work. But that's about as organized as they get. Each of our local libraries has a good selection of games to play in the building, just not to check out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mindspike wrote:
Our libraries hold gaming days about once a month where library volunteers teach people how different games work. But that's about as organized as they get. Each of our local libraries has a good selection of games to play in the building, just not to check out.

Could you provide some details? What library it is, and where?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Crutchfield
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in southern Indiana. The largest library system here is the Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library. We have 8 branches of the library system in town, three of which are located near schools. We have a ton of programs for kids and teens. The library website is: evpl.org

I like our public library system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been working on getting a library gaming event running in Pittsburgh and the first one is happening in just a couple weeks!

If you're in the city, come check it out! The details are:

6pm-8pm in the quiet reading room at CLP Main (4400 Forbes Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15213)
The last Thursday of each month / Feb. 23 - Mar. 29 - Apr. 26 - May 31

If you have any questions please feel free to send me a geekmail!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I organize a regular board gaming night at our local toy library in Buchs SG, Switzerland. We meet every two weeks alternating between Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

A complete list of our gaming nights can be found here.

The library itself organizes 2 gaming nights a year at a nearby café.

Why are you asking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Muncie Public Library in Indiana has game night every Tuesday, 4-6PM. 90% of the kids play Yu-Gi-Oh, Naruto and Magic. I've brought Dominion, Quelf and Cosmic Encounter, which has received generally positive responses. The librarians usually run a sign up sheet, not always playing the games.

http://www.munpl.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Manning
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We host regular gaming meet-ups on the third Saturday of each month, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the Nordonia Hills Public Library, 9458 Olde Eight Rd., in Northfield, Ohio. (northern Summit County - 15 miles north of Akron, south-east of Cleveland).

Our next monthly event is Saturday February 18. New and experienced players are always welcome.

These are open to board and Eurogames, war games, also RPG, and regular & trading card game players. The events are free and open to the public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
admin
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
anarchy wrote:
SAGA meets twice a month (the 2nd and 4th Saturday) at the El Toro Library in Lake Forest, CA. Hours are 10am to 4:45pm.

El Toro Community Library
24672 Raymond Way, Lake Forest, CA 92630

Website with info:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/stradv_association/

Oh cool, I'm in Orange, I'll have to check this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Højslet
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This concept should really get to Denmark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to Pat's comments from above, several other libraries in the Cleveland-Akron area have been hosting regular game days on various weekends throughout the month:

Medina Library Gaming, 1st Saturday of each month, 10am-5pm
NGA Con Euclid Library, 2nd Saturday of each month, 10am-5pm
Game Time! at Nordonia Library, 3rd Saturday of each month, 10am-5pm
Lakewood Public Library, 3rd Sunday of each month, 1pm-6pm

Additional game days have been hosted at the Mentor Library on a more irregular basis. All events are free to attend. Except for Pat's Game Time!, they are not directly organized by the libraries themselves but by local individuals that reserve the rooms (for free) and host the event. More information (locations, times, etc.) can be found at: http://www.meetup.com/clevelandgamers

BURPS board gaming has recently been featured on the cover of the Euclid Library periodical:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kent District Library's (West Michigan - Kent County) - Rockford (Krause Memorial Library) branch started a Dominion series for a few months this past fall. It was supposed to start again this season but I have no details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.