Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Port
United Kingdom
London
Barnet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to check when the text about the bomb shelter causing you to become a zombie rules. If a player has in their discard only bomb shelter cards, and the deck is empty, I assume this triggers that condition. I also wanted to check when a player could discard the card. It says "anytime" so I assumed that really meant that.

So could you discard it right after drawing it during the end turn drawing? Could one scavenge one then discard it during the scavenge step?
Just wanted to check on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Holliday
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gobbo wrote:
I wanted to check when the text about the bomb shelter causing you to become a zombie rules. If a player has in their discard only bomb shelter cards, and the deck is empty, I assume this triggers that condition. I also wanted to check when a player could discard the card. It says "anytime" so I assumed that really meant that.

So could you discard it right after drawing it during the end turn drawing? Could one scavenge one then discard it during the scavenge step?
Just wanted to check on that.

Yes! Any time a Survivor has nothing but a blast proof room in you Safe House (your Deck) you've still run out of supplies and die...

When it says 'anytime' it means anytime, even if you had just found it but remember you wouldn't be able to pick up an extra card this turn as you would need to Draw a card first.

Note: Any card with out a Sign can be played at anytime (Deadeye, A Good Friend) unless it's stated otherwise on the card (But that's my..., I remember you...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Wente
United States
Granite City
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While we are talking about Bomb Shelter...

Why are there 10 Bomb Shelter cards, as compared to 5 of any other swag card (thematically and/or mechanically)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because you want to lace your deck with them, and especially in a four player game you want enough to go around!

As an aside, Bomb Shelter is one of the very few promos that are well integrated into the core game. Far too many feel out of place, like they were designed as an afterthought.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Wente
United States
Granite City
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
Because you want to lace your deck with them, and especially in a four player game you want enough to go around!

As an aside, Bomb Shelter is one of the very few promos that are well integrated into the core game. Far too many feel out of place, like they were designed as an afterthought.

Cameron

Cool. I thought it might have something to do with wanting a lot of them.
If the promo is as good as you are saying it is, I regret not getting the expansion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smullens
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
I wanted to clarify something here (as this came up in a recent game);

The bomb shelter seemed to be super powerful as a last ditch effort for surviving. When you're referring to the 'deck' here for the lose condition do you mean your draw deck or all of your cards including your discard pile, your hand and your draw deck?

What happened in my game was I had 3 bomb shelters, 3 zombies (in my hand) and 3-5 'other' swag cards. My swag cards were pretty bad (a crowbar, a box of ammo, and 3 hide). Each turn I would be unsuccesful in my action (didn't matter fight or flee) and then start losing cards to attrition choosing to lose to my draw deck - most of the time of the 3 bomb shelters would be drawn first, since most of my deck was bomb shelters (and then most of my swag was in my hand since I'd immediately discard a bomb shelter when I got one.

This seems to make the number of zombies I'm fighting irrelevant and extend my survival for a really long time. My neighbor was doing the same thing, only with 1 bomb shelter and we decided to just restart the game rather than play several more rounds with what was essentially a dice roll for victory at that point;

My question is --- was I doing something wrong? Or is this card just super powerful for surviving (but not defeating) the zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card should be discarded back to the Swag pile, and since you took damage, you should not get a chance that turn to buy it back, so you cannot infinitely loop them.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smullens
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
ahh --- but the card reads 'you may choose to not reveal any more cards this turn and place this card in your discard pile'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Holliday
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
David is right, it stays in your deck after it is revealed. The card is super powerful and in this case(if I understand everything correctly) its up to the other player to call you out on having nothing but 'Bomb Shelters' in you deck. If someone does think you have nothing but 'Bomb shelter' just look and reshuffle your deck if you don't.

Your 'deck' is your draw pile... so in some ways it's up to the other player to keep an eye on what you have... a good tactic is to call someone out for a check every time they a draw a card, at least if you're down to just a few cards like that.

With the promo the game come down to a 'dice' win once in a while. If you want a designer note about the card... I just wanted to make a card with the idea of the 50's fall out shelters and the fear of the bomb. It's such a big part of post WW2 america that I wanted to design something alone those lines. But it didn't really fit anywhere with the rest of the designs for sets, So at the last moment just as they started printing the game and just by chance I ask Mayday if they wanted to use as a promo pack... and well they did.

It has been tested that you must return it to the Swag pile after it was revealed and it worked just fine but it came make the game pain fully short if the bomb drops really early into the game but if you like it better that way play it that way by all means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smullens
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
Yeah, I'd find it kinda harsh if pre-bomb it went to the swag pile when used; I did slightly misunderstand it though ------ In the example I gave I would have to be sure to have at least 1 swag in the 'draw deck' as to not have it be only bomb shelters so my swag would always be in danger. Also, I'd have to have a very thin deck for the bomb shelter to come up consistently so I think it works pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that's what I get for answering questions while at work w/o my copy of the game!

I've only played with the Bomb Shelter/We Have The Bomb once, as I didn't want to spring it on brand new players, but we tried it last week, and I loved it.

I will have to try it again soon!

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.