Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I have some vacation time to burn, maybe the 3rd but more likely the 4th week of October. We live in NC and want to go somewhere within a day's drive. Our first thought was to go to the shore. Then we realized what would be even better--a gaming con. We didn't know of anything on the calendar at that time, though, so I'm appealing to the infinite wisdom of the BGG hive mind.

We're interested in any of the following within that space/time range:
A boardgaming con (or possibly a more general con with a strong boardgaming scene). There seem to be lots of small regional cons, so maybe there's something perfect that we don't know about.
If not a full-blown con, maybe something like a game day.
A local game group where visitors would be welcome.
Local game stores that have a boardgaming night.
Individual BGGers in the area who might be interested in meeting up with some out-of-towners for gaming. (We can produce character witnesses from the North Carolina gaming scene to testify that we aren't axe murderers.)

Any suggestions welcome, in this thread or by geekmail. Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
U.S. 95th Infantry Division - The Iron Men of Metz
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lori,

I don't know about the last two weeks in October, but MACE (www.justusproductions.com) is Nov. 11-13 in High Point. This will be my first year going, but I've heard that it has good boardgaming. I'll be running Dungeon Twister demos and tournaments all weekend there.

I also run a monthly games group in Durham that meets on Sunday afternoons. Let me know if you are interested and I can send you the info. New players are always welcome.

Good gaming,

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Torrens
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I run a monthly board game group that has 45 people in it (we usually get about half of them each month, some regulars, others that come occasionally).

We meet in Myrtle Beach on the second Saturday of each month from 5pm-12am and beyond. Visitors are always welcome!

Geekmail me if you want more specifics and location information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ellis
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend both MACE and CharCon. CharCon is right on target with your timeline. Oct. 21-23, in Charleston,WV. I am a game's dealer and it's a quick drive from the Piedmont area in NC and really well done. www.charcon.org / www.justusproductions.com

I also sponsor two local game groups in Winston Salem and Greensboro that meet weekly. What part of the state do you live in?

-Brandon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group in Burlington meets every Tuesday at our FLGS, Hypermind. We'd be glad to have visitors! If you want, pop over to our guild page and check out our past 'Games of the Month' and say hey:

Burlington Boardgamers Guild

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Prezcon (www.prezcon.com) is one of the best cons ever. Its pretty big but not so big its impossible to get a game played. IN February

If you like historical MIniatures lookup the triangle sumulation society (Right in Durham)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Wilmington BG in Wilmington of course!! Lot's of good players!! Let me know and I can get you more information!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some members of our group here in Wilmington, NC have been discussing the very subject of organizing a con. We have invited gamers from the Tar River group in Rocky Mount, NC for small gatherings as they have for us. In reality we are still in the infancy stages of setting something formal up.

We do have a weekly game night at Cape Fear Games on Thursdays and outsiders are always welcome to join us. It is very casual and the games we play are mostly pick up. We don't usually plan out games to be played each week.

Sean T. (see the post above) has visited us on at least one occasion and he is a great guy. I'm sure his group in Myrtle Beach fits the bill too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JackFlash wrote:
There's Wilmington BG in Wilmington of course!! Lot's of good players!! Let me know and I can get you more information!

Wow, Lee! Beat me to it by a minute. Thanks for thinking of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fast little sucker!! I'm still in Teachey by the way!! We didn't move to Charlotte.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here Be Books & Games
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We'll teach you how to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
We host monthly Game Nights the first Saturday of every month at our store from 6 p.m until after midnight. Newcomers are always welcome.

If you're in the Charleston, SC area then, drop by and join us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.charcon.org/

Welcome to CharCon 2011!
CharCon is THE West Virginia Gaming Convention held at the Charleston House Hotel in downtown Charleston, WV Oct. 21-23, 2011.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bellis208 wrote:
I also sponsor two local game groups in Winston Salem and Greensboro that meet weekly. What part of the state do you live in?

-Brandon

One of the groups that Brandon sponsors is Camel City Gamers, in Winston-Salem. We have a guild here on BGG. In late October, we'll be meeting these dates:

Tue, Oct 18th
Sat, Oct 22nd
Thu, Oct 27th

-Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.