Aether Captains: Pirates and Traders» Forums » Variants

Subject: 16 New Action Cards & New Action Type (Crew) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit : Combined this into Aether-Fan Expansion : 4 Captains, 8 Scenarios, 16 Actions (new Crew card type), 32 Tokens

As I mentioned in the other thread, I've also been working on some Action cards to mix into the action draw deck.

By the end, I should have 16 cards in all.

This pack introduces a new card type in addition to Weather, Pirate, Trade and Assist - Crew cards.

The idea behind these cards is to have some crew centric events that occur, and introduce some cards that will have effects that will effect future encounter - both good and bad.

Here are the first 8 cards - I hope to have the remaining 8 posted by tomorrow.

Please let me know if you think anything is unbalancing, overly complicated, or in need of a rewrite. Suggestions are most welcome.

Note: I attempted to keep the Reference Values and Resource Numbers within the range that Todd already established, so as not to imbalance the odds. To do this, I counted the quantity of each value for each type, which I then divided by 40 (old total # of cards) and multiplied by 16 (new total # of cards). This gave me a pretty good target quantity for each value which I then spread out. I also noticed that the Resource Numbers tended to have an average total of 10, so I tried to stay in the 9-11 range for them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New Action Cards
Ok.will give these a try tonight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New Action Cards
Thanks - appreciate that!

Below are the last 8 cards - which allow you to visit the remaining 4 great cities of the Grand Compact, encounter a Camel Train, and add in a few more Crew/mixed card types. I tried to make the city resources based on the Grand Compact commodities chart that Todd had posted elsewhere.

The cards still need to have the Reference/Resource Values balanced, as for speed's sake, I just reused the same values as the first 8 cards.

Should have that fixed by the weekend, and I will see if I can add some public domain artwork. And, of course, I will take any suggestions from the group on how to make the cards more balanced/fun.

I will also fix the look of the Trade cards to be consistant with the main deck. Was rushing to have the cards in at least playable shape by this morn.

Note: As there is already a Black Market Card, I had debated calling that card Illict Connection. But, I figured leaving it Black Market allows for future cards to reference "Black Market" card type, much like "City" is currently referenced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 16 New Action Cards
I played the game with the first 8 crew cards,the scenarios the grand tour, lost zeppelin,and the precious tomb. I took Zoe Connolly.
I noticed the following:
1.the crew and scenario cards improved the excitement and intensity of the game. It created a more believable game and improved game play.
2.the scenario the grand tour only took 4 actions to complete.it may need an additional condition for success and the rewards where very good for the time to complete.
3.Zoe began to be a drag at scenario 2. Her bonus to sell goods at plus 1 gave me an ititial cash bonus but soon dissapeared as I ran into resource loss through weather and pirates. I would not play her again. Maybe a -1 to resource purchase as well.
4.crew insubordation card. Even though I had a fail. I rolled the number on the card resource loss was the difference between my roll 10 and the card number 10 which was nil.
5.scenarios lost zeppelin and precious tomb where well thought out and fun to play.
6. Overall time 90 mins including cutting out the cards and sticking them onto cardboard.

Keep going matey!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the new 8 I am glad there are 2 more cards with arms purchases. I always seem to be very low. What about scenario cards for bomb the pirate base! Land assault squad and war against the pirates. How about a cross dressing captain like Robert di Nero in stardust !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of a pirate offensive scenario, though the transport of the Emperor's troops over the border zone may be more in keeping with the trader aspect of the game, as I think the Captains are to represent traders that own their own vessels. But, I may be wrong.

I do have 2 other 'Crew' based Scenarios (Only the Best and Destroyed Hamlet) to fill out the 8 Scenarios - but, I have not tested them more than once apiece as of yet.

The Stardust comment made me laugh, as the "Bottled Lightning" scenario is inspired from that movie/book as well Capt Shakespeare (or is that Shake-spear?) would be a force to be reckoned with in the skies

Thanks for the other comments as well:

1 - I'm glad the crew cards had the desired effect of adding to the narrative of the game.

2 - Let me see if I can rework grand tour without going over the amount of space I have on the card for text.

3 - I didn't want Zoe to be a duplicate of Janus Strommond from the original captain pack, which is why I hadn't done the -1. Let me see if I can come up with something to give her a unique feel.

4 - I could change it so it is min of 1, good catch!

5 - Glad to hear that, I was hoping they would not be too complicated to follow.

6 - Great, perfect thing to play as a solitaire filler

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For Zoe, would it be worth it if that -1 to purchase was only applied to Cargo instead of all 4 Resources?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated the values on the secoond batch of cards, fixed the look of the Trade cards to match the core set, added some public domain art and attempted to apply some filters to Aether-fy it.

I'll see if I can get art for the other cards, and make the other adjustments suggested so far.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinKase wrote:
For Zoe, would it be worth it if that -1 to purchase was only applied to Cargo instead of all 4 Resources?

An alternative would be -1 to engine cargo and arms to account for her back alley deals but on a roll of 12 gear is defective and lost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, that is an interesting idea, to have the bonus be a conditional. You have given me more to think about.. again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For those interested in the resource breakdown from the original 40 cards (to save anyone else time)

Type: Value (Frequency)

Red Circle: 10 (3/20), 9 (1/5), 8 (9/40), 7 (1/4), 6 (7/40)
Blue Circle: 9 (11/40), 8 (13/40), 7 (3/10), 6 (1/10)
Gold Circle 6 (1/10), 5 (1/10), 4 (1/5), 3 (11/40), 2 (1/5), 1 (1/8)
Yellow Circle: 11 (1/20), 10 (1/8), 9 (1/5), 8 (9/40), 7 (9/40), 6 (1/5)
Green Circle: 10 (1/8), 9 (3/10), 8 (3/10), 7 (9/10), 6 (1/40), 5 (1/40)

Gold Square: 1 (17/40), 2 (1/4). 3 (13/40)
Orange Square: 1 (9/40), 2 (3/5), 3 (7/40)
Red Square: 1 (11/40), 2 (3/10), 3 (13/40)
Yellow Square: 1 (3/8), 2 (3/10), 3 (9/40)
Green Square: 1 (9/20), 2 (11/40), 3 (11/40)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looking very good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kerli
United Kingdom
Yate, Bristol
South Glos
flag msg tools
badge
I keep safe all the stories that have ever been, are and will be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of seeing these as a pdf file, or at least a picture file where they are in the proper size? It looks great, I can't wait to play it properly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Revisiting some of my old favorites

Waiting on permission to use some artwork for "Gear Monkey" & "Espionage". Then I will post a PDF.

Edit : Combined this into Aether-Fan Expansion : 4 Captains, 8 Scenarios, 16 Actions (new Crew card type), 32 Tokens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.