Subject: My XB360 2 cents rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tex Hammack

Spanish Fork
Utah
msg tools
mb
SO beat the game in under 12 hours on normal mode. Game is quite a bit too short.

Biggest down fall, for me were the controls. Not being able to have melee be "A" was annoying.

Also all the cool swag you get for pre-ordering only apply to XBL.

There are 3 points in the game that are your "typical" meatgrinder seg. I say "typical" because it is what is needed in a game like this. What is different about the seg is it is an actual challenge. Which leads me to my goods points.

Holy hell!! Right tool for the job..A++ This is not one of those game where you can pick up a weapon and apply your style of game play and make it through 80% of the game. Like a True Marine you must "Assess, Adapt and Overcome"

Tactics are a must. There are a few spots in the game where it does not pay to be out of earshot of your Battle Brothers. Be sure to get your bearings and abuse your Battle Brothers' placement. They are there for a reason.

This is the only game in a while that I have played where you can actually shape the battlefield with some well placed Grenades.

To address some Demo concerns:

ORK voices stayed the same but then why would they be any different. I would prefer a lil more cockney in the accent but these are ORKs not Feral ORKs these are a Warring, Ultimatum Giving, Terror Campaign Announcing,Not in opposition to diplomacy if needed.........hehe... nation of people. They have just bastardized the most common spoken language of the known verse is all and fits it right in.

Movement is not an issue when everything is put into scope. These marine are not Marcus Fenix a well build agile 6 foot tall man in protective armor. Nor are they the Stealthy, lithe Master Sargent. These guys all stand 8 feet without armor and are bio-engineered. Stuffed, not in armor mind you but, into an interactive exosuit that plugs directly into their nervous system...oh yeah and it is ARMOR!!! So while Marcus and Master Sgt know they got hit the Space Marine know where and how badly he has been hit and did not need a HUD to know it. So yeah these guys are cumbersome compared to the normal gamplay we see. The sound and movement really tell that tale. All of that in a 10 foot tall mobile biped.

Finally the last chapter is a bit MEH! There is far too much aid given so much so that if you wanted, you could park yourself go out for dinner come back and still be alive with the majority of the enemies dead. OK that was a bit uncalled for but it was what I felt like while playing through it. I kept asking myself, "With all of this going on why am I here?" It is like the developers decided to reward you for your hours of toil with an easy victory. ENTER the epic Boss Battle for the life of every man woman and child on this planet and in this sector here. The Mini Boss battle was much more fulfilling and I wish the game had ended there.

Of course this was on normal mode not hard. YET!

There is so much more I would like to go in to but for sake of spoiling the game I will wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Nicely informative review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tex Hammack

Spanish Fork
Utah
msg tools
mb
My most enjoyable part of the whole game id the interactions between the Guardsmen and Marines. They nailed it better than any fic I have read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Jones
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. My two pennies...

With regards to your comparisons with Marcus Fenix and the Masterchief - one thing this game does exceptionally well is make the marines feel like the 9' killing machines that they are meant to be. Whilst the controls of Gears of War are rather sluggish in an attempt to give weight to the steroid enhanced human soldier, in Space Marine it is not applicable. Marines are born for the battlefield and their armour is an extension of them. As a consequence, these marines sprint, charge, roll and shift effortlessly from ranged to melee combat. Which leads nicely on to one of the games most entertaining aspects, the mix of close and distance combat, and the ease with which you can shift mid-battle. Swing that chainsword a couple of times and finish them off with a bolt pistol blast to the head - its quite stunning.

Whilst I would agree that the game is fairly short, I enjoyed every second of it and am planning to go through on HARD difficulty Its very cinematic. In fact, the point at which the above review felt bored I felt quite stunned by as you charge forth, buddies in tow. Yes, they may be able to do a lot for you, but I kinda left them eating my dirt, after all, Titus is a Captain and not some rookie.

Oh, and I love the music! Actually sat through the end credits just to listen to it Only other game I can remember doing that for was Arkham Asylum.

Finally, on-line play is brilliant fun! Yes, maps are limited (presently) but even so... Some complain it's classes are imbalanced, but I would disagree. Only reason more people play assault troops is because you can't beat the thrill of a jump pack.

This game exudes Warhammer 40k in every way, and for the fans is a dream come true. Yes, there are elements that could be worked on, but for a first foray into this sort of thing THQ should be highly commended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tex Hammack

Spanish Fork
Utah
msg tools
mb
Just want to be clear about the controls. I did like them for the most part. The game allows a limited remapping of the controls. Just not the "A" button, and a couple others,which took me a while to get used to. This was the only source of headache as far as game play.

I can see your point about charging headlong leading your battle brothers in the final chapter. Essentially routing the enemy. As a Chapter it just was not my cup of tea. Others like yourself will love that. This is just my opinion on that subject and I am not trying to flame anyone who thinks otherwise. The final boss battle was really weak though...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Jones
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I concur on the showdown with the big bad being weak...but I will also say that I have yet to play a single computer game where I was not left feeling let down with the end game (perhaps with the exception of Vampire: Bloodlines...?). Even Arkham Asylum, perhaps one of the finest games of the past few years, fell at that hurdle :/ I do hate the whole "Tap X.......NOW!" approach! Seems like we've taken a Warlord Titan's step back to the god awful Dragon Quest games of the early 90's. Resident Evil 5 was perhaps the worst culprit of this I have ever played and it baffles me as to why it was/is held in such high regard. But I digress...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the way physics plays out in the game. When you put Titus into a sprint and then take your fingers off the movement keys, he does NOT stop on a dime, there's considerable foot shuffling before he comes to rest. Disaster if it's poorly timed...surprise

The Thunder hammer is a joy to use when you time your combos right. It really looks and feels like he's following through with a backswing.cool

I really enjoyed the solo campaign. Even though it was a bit short it was entertaining throughout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.