Popular Tags: [View All]
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Jambo with my husband - his choice, he usually beats me at this game. An odd game - no one got a small market until VERY late in the game, when I foolishly bought one when it was too late to do me any good. I had about 40 gold, Darren had 55, so it was really dumb to buy a small market then, note to self, next time COUNT what your opponent has before you buy stuff!!

I'm noticing that a) he usually wins, b) he usually spends most of the game grousing about how he's not getting the cards he wants, c) he pays more attention to how much money he has and how much I have than I do. I on the other hand have been playing this as if it were a Faidutti game - if I can take an action, I take it, I don't really pay too much attention to the available info, etc. But since I'm consistently getting whomped, I think I better rethink that The randomness of the cards if I think fooling me into thinking there is more chaos here than there really is.

Next game I'm going to stay more aware of the money, and be more conservative in taking my actions and focus a little more on building a hand that I can carry out a plan with. We'll see how that goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a small tip - it sounds like both of you place a high value on the small markets. I think it's very common for new players to do this, but over time I rarely bother to buy one anymore. If the other player buys one, then I might, but 6 gold is just a lot of money.

Instead, I focus on getting 1 or maybe 2 utility cards that let me manage my market space better. Leopard Statue works (buy a ware for 2g), but so do utilities that let you trade a ware for a card or for an opponent's ware. All of these expand your virtual marketspace, giving you enough room that you have no need for a small market stand.

If you avoid buying wares prematurely (before you know what you might be able to sell) and try to take the 1 gold for 2 leftover actions when you can, you should see an improvement in your profitability speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.