Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I just recently was talking to a new friend who I found out is into boardgames. He and his wife have mostly played gateway games like carcasonne, TTR, and Settlers. He said they picked them up quite easily. He was wondering if I could reccommend a good 2 player game. I usually play with more than 2 and only now, because we moved, am I looking at 2 player games for me and my wife. I gave him some loose ideas that I had picked up from reading some stuff on here (San Juan) and then suggested honeymoon rook and starting with 3 settlements in Settlers. They have two young children so the games they choose can't be much longer than an hour (max 90 minutes, and that's a real 90 minutes not a box 90 minutes). So my question is:

What are the best games that play well with 2 players and are relatively short and have decent complexity? (Settlers level and higher). Also, games that are the most fun with 2 players would be appreciated as it can feel like a bit of a let down playing 2 players when you know more would be better. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d suggest Stone Age, Fresco and Ticket to Ride (for 2 players maybe Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries is the best choice)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line is a card game that's super low in complexity, but deep in its gameplay. I highly recommend it. It takes one minute to set up and can be easily played in 45 minutes. I think the box says 30 minutes. See my avatar to understand how much my wife and I like this game.

The Speicherstadt is also very simple. Its main mechanic is a mashup of worker placement and auctioning. It's very clever. It plays well with two and equally well with up to five. It's very short and a lot of fun.

Metropolys is spacial bidding. When played with two players, it becomes almost chess-like. My wife beats me badly in this game...every time. So naturally, I think it's just okay and she loves it.

Agricola would take things up a notch in complexity, but I have to recommend it because of how spectacular it is with two players. It has a unique set of cards for each number of players, so it it well balanced with every player count. After the first game, you can trust the box in that it only takes a half-hour per player. In fact, I've always been able to stay to that time frame, even with new players.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Adamson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Memoir '44. It's simple and fun, and actually does seem to play in 30 minutes. My first play was about an hour from opening the box to closing the box, including explaining the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Petersen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Glen More!!!!!!!!!!!! If they have Settlers down and like Carcasonne then Glen More should be no problem for them to learn. In fact if Settlers and Carcasonne had a love child it would be Glen More. This game is amazingly simple and surprisingly deep. Best of all... it's fast. We have a new born baby and Glen More has become our go to when we want deeper strategy but don't have time or energy for Twilight Struggle or Troyes (which are both awesome with 2). Takes 3 minutes to setup! There are some great videos explaining Glen More. Can't recommend it enough for 2 players. Okay, I'll stop yelling.wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory to Rome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Carlough
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

Agricola would take things up a notch in complexity, but I have to recommend it because of how spectacular it is with two players. It has a unique set of cards for each number of players, so it it well balanced with every player count. After the first game, you can trust the box in that it only takes a half-hour per player. In fact, I've always been able to stay to that time frame, even with new players.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

+1 for Agricola! Just played it 2-player again last night and it was rad! It's also one of the 2-player games least likely to give me rage when I'm losing (I hate antagonistic f-you games for 2p)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thnaks for the responses! I am planning to buy Stone Age, Fresco, Glen More, and the Speicerstadt so my friend can just borrow those from me and see which they prefer. It's good to hear that so many games on my own wish list are good with 2 players! Agricola I am terrified of. Opinions seem to be really split on it. It also happens to be around 80$ here so that is another deterant for me. I guess I'm just worried that it will be to complex for casual gamers to enjoy, or too mathy for me to enjoy. I'm worried it will be too much like PowerGrid which is alos ranked highly. I found there was a lot of things in the game, but at root it was just going through the math of it all. The auction being the only part that requires any skill. Can anyone convince me to buy this game? It's a game I want to like but I'm scared it will just be a massive (and expensive) letdown.

I'll check out Battleline as well, thanks! Maybe even Glory to Rome, although the art turns me off already. Any thoughts on San Juan as a two player game?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also enjoy Memoir '44 but think the theme will be a turn-off for my wife and the wife of my friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai is a fun challenge with two players and it opens up for more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
If she's okay with the "Last of the Mohicans" theme, A Few Acres of Snow is a fantastic 2p game that can take between 45 to 90 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I like my town with a little drop of poison Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane.
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.