Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Brown
United States
University
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, am I reading this right? In the first scenario it tells you to seal all the Emergence Holes, save for the one near the exit. Does this mean that all new spawns ONLY come from this EH? That seems odd to me.

Also, we actually won our first game, with 4 players at the table. Tell me we did something wrong, as I am a bit disappointed after all the hype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished this mission today. You spawn the Locusts during setup, then, you seal up all the holes except near the exit. Yup, if you did setup the other way around, it could be more of a cake-walk.

I'd consider this almost a tutorial mission, I would not judge the game on one play of the "learning" mission. If your disapointed because of how easy it was, just wait till you try the other missions. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emergence is the easiest mission, although it isn't always winnable. I rarely have any trouble reaching the emergence point, though sometimes I don't survive the final wave.

On the other hand, China Shop is pretty darn brutal.

Also, you can easily adjust the difficulty of Emergence mission by leaving one or two extra Emergence points open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, not sure if we just got lucky, but Emergence was easy for us; did it on the first try. Then, we set up China Shop, and I'm trying to explain to my friend who set up the game that he made a mistake, since there was a big giant Locust right by our starting area. No mistake surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:

On the other hand, China Shop is pretty darn brutal.

KingCroc? More like "King of Understatement", in this case.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Just finished this mission today. You spawn the Locusts during setup, then, you seal up all the holes except near the exit. Yup, if you did setup the other way around, it could be more of a cake-walk.

I did this during our first game, and we still lost. But then, I also left in the general AI card that spawns new emergence holes, so that might have balanced it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I wonder how hard this mission would be if you didn't close the emergence holes during setup. It would be longer, certainly, but you do get infinite grenades (over time)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
United States
University
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethala wrote:
You know, I wonder how hard this mission would be if you didn't close the emergence holes during setup. It would be longer, certainly, but you do get infinite grenades (over time)...

That was where I was struggling when we setup. If new guys were going to hit the table against us, where in the hell were they supposed to go? Thematically, it made sense to me that they would pop up right next to us-surprise Boomerlike. But instead they hit the table as far away as possible. Dunno. It seemed weird to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sethala wrote:

My son and I played out first game this way on accident. We almost won, game took a very long time though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mike_fantastic wrote:
Sethala wrote:

That was where I was struggling when we setup. If new guys were going to hit the table against us, where in the hell were they supposed to go? Thematically, it made sense to me that they would pop up right next to us-surprise Boomerlike. But instead they hit the table as far away as possible. Dunno. It seemed weird to me.

It only seems weird if you are viewing the scenario as a direct attack on your soldiers. I view it as the very beginnings of an invasion into your territory, and your job is to cut it off before it becomes a problem. So, yes, the Locusts will appear at the far end of the map, but they'll also keep coming until you finally seal that hole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Sethala wrote:
You know, I wonder how hard this mission would be if you didn't close the emergence holes during setup.

Based on our first game tonight doing this very thing, I'd vote very hard.

Sethala wrote:
It would be longer, certainly, but you do get infinite grenades (over time)...

You do get infinite grenades, but you still have to roll to hit with 'em. And we just couldn't seem to roll the omen symbol to activate the cave in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Cheatham
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
eight grenades chucked at the hole with no omen symbol! 9th was the charm but, we were depleted and overrun by then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tedcheatham wrote:
eight grenades chucked at the hole with no omen symbol! 9th was the charm but, we were depleted and overrun by then.

Sounds like Mr. Grenade was not your friend even BEFORE you pulled the pin.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Johnson
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:
Sethala wrote:

My son and I played out first game this way on accident. We almost won, game took a very long time though.

I'm glad I wasn't the only person to do that! My sons and I played it twice without sealing all the emergence holes (I missed that somehow). It's very challenging and much harder. We nearly made it to the second wave on the second game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a varient to counter those "negative omens".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.