David Laufle
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
designer
I enjoy games about Stalingrad
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Combined Example on Pg 21. Second column (second picture).The 1st Panzer after executing attack'A" moves behind Kiev to isolate it and
"maintain his Supply Path to the western map edge (i.e., the Mountain hex in Rumania)"
I was under the impression that Western Map Edge was the grey bar on the far left side of the map and that hexes inside Greater Germany do not in themselves constitute supply sources unless they are city hexes which can draw to the western edge.

It also states that a direct supply path can not exceed 4 hexes to the edge.

Is this an error? Can supply simply be drawn to any hex in Greater Germany?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhuned wrote:
In the Combined Example on Pg 21. Second column (second picture).The 1st Panzer after executing attack'A" moves behind Kiev to isolate it and
"maintain his Supply Path to the western map edge (i.e., the Mountain hex in Rumania)"
I was under the impression that Western Map Edge was the grey bar on the far left side of the map and that hexes inside Greater Germany do not in themselves constitute supply sources unless they are city hexes which can draw to the western edge.

It also states that a direct supply path can not exceed 4 hexes to the edge.

Is this an error? Can supply simply be drawn to any hex in Greater Germany?

Yeah, I forgot to correct it. This was an example of play taken from the first version of the game. At the time the map did not extend all the way to Germany, but ended a few hexes after the frontier of the Soviet union. SO the mapboard edge was much closer then than it is now.

So, no you cannot draw supply from any hex in Greater Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
So let me see if I have this right, then.

If we checked supply right now, the 1st Panzer and the 17th Army would both be out of supply: neither can trace a path of four or fewer hexes to a friendly city, and neither is adjacent to a unit that can.

This makes it all the more crucial that the forces in the south occupy Odessa, because that's the only thing that's going to keep the 17th Army and the 1st Panzer in supply at the start of the next turn.

This makes that advance pretty risky. Good thing the German player has Heinz Guderian in his hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl,

The lack of a supply source makes a first turn advance towards Odessa only viable if the Axis player has the right cards. I think this is game changing and ahistorical. Was this your intention?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mickmick wrote:
Carl,

The lack of a supply source makes a first turn advance towards Odessa only viable if the Axis player has the right cards. I think this is game changing and ahistorical. Was this your intention?

I do not agree. BTW, What do you mean by advance towards Odessa in the first turn? By which units? You can draw supply from Lublin or Bucharest 4hexes away, and you can be 5 hexes away if adjacent to a unit that is in supply. The advance is very possible, I don't see any problem here. and it's historical too, the Units in Rumania attacked later in the campaign.

The problem you will have in the south is getting to Dnepropetrovsk if you don't control either Kiev or Odessa: it is a bit more risky.

The net effect will be that now it is far more tempting for the Soviet to hold on to both cities, and the Germans might need some units from Army Group Center to swing south to help if things are not going well. I find it quite historical.

BTW do not forget that you are also in Supply when on a coastal hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured this out before I got a chance to delete the post. You're right of course. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UhhhClem wrote:
So let me see if I have this right, then.

If we checked supply right now, the 1st Panzer and the 17th Army would both be out of supply: neither can trace a path of four or fewer hexes to a friendly city, and neither is adjacent to a unit that can.

This makes it all the more crucial that the forces in the south occupy Odessa, because that's the only thing that's going to keep the 17th Army and the 1st Panzer in supply at the start of the next turn.

This makes that advance pretty risky. Good thing the German player has Heinz Guderian in his hand.

Well not really. But you cannot see it as only a portion of the board is shown. By Turn 2 Minsk, a bit to the North, is already into German hands so they can trace supply through there. But you are right that in the ne version of the game this adcance could cause some problems to the Germans: their tactics in the south will have to be revised a bit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mickmick wrote:
I figured this out before I got a chance to delete the post. You're right of course. Thanks!

No problem. hey I made this game with the idea of putting a lot of fun puzzles for both sides. and having not hundreds of unit to move helped me in figuring out how to make those challenges intersting when I playtested intensely the various " openings".

Yet even after testing to death the first starting turns since 2008, just last week I found a new nifty way of defending for the Soviets on turns 2 and 3.

And you are indeed right: the dynamics in the south have changed compared to the first version of the game. For the better IMHO. Heh heh heh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.