Popular Tags: [View All]
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my birthday soon and my wife's family want to buy me a game. I'm thinking of one of the following three games,

- Thunderstone (have played Dominion so have experince with deck building games)
- First Train to Nuremberg (I own Steam)
- Arkham Horror (have not played anything like this appears to be)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Dominion, and strongly dislike Thunderstone. Thunderstone felt very dry...if you have enough strength to kill a monster, you do. Plain and simple. No decisions, not much strategy. That was my experience. I know others will chime in and say I need an expansion or I didn't play it enough (5 or 6 times) or whatever. But that's my opinion. Stay away from it. The deck-building game that looks unique to me right now is Eaten by Zombies.

I haven't played Steam or First Train, so I won't comment.

Arkham is a massive piece of game. Make sure you have a gang of hard-core gamers who are ready to take it on. Otherwise, it could collect dust. I won't comment much further on this game because I'm not much of a co-op lover. Space Alert is the only co-op that has ever won me over.

I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror can be a long game, but it plays well solo, and if you are a fan of H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu stories, you will probably enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.