Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Corbett
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Deus Pascit Corvos
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Age of Industry the other night and ended up in a rules dispute as to whether the coal and iron in building your 2nd and subsequent railways are actually removed from the board after moving to the location required. Is it the same as for building industries that the nearest source of coal & iron are used, moved to the required location and then taken from the board and put into the stock?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you are connected to it or to a port/distant port (where you can purchase it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Hand Jim wrote:
We played Age of Industry the other night and ended up in a rules dispute as to whether the coal and iron in building your 2nd and subsequent railways are actually removed from the board after moving to the location required. Is it the same as for building industries that the nearest source of coal & iron are used, moved to the required location and then taken from the board and put into the stock?

Yes, that's correct. The coal and iron are traced to the nearest source, and removed from play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Libonati Rocha
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Big Hand Jim wrote:

Yes, that's correct. The coal and iron are traced to the nearest source, and removed from play.

The sources to build railways don't need to be the nearest. They are removed from the board as the sources used in the building of industries. But they can be taken from any connected places
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad. I'm not sure if I have misplayed it or if I just mis-stated it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Temple
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
libonati wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:
Big Hand Jim wrote:

The sources to build railways don't need to be the nearest. They are removed from the board as the sources used in the building of industries. But they can be taken from any connected places

Where are you getting that? I just double-checked the AOI V2.0 pdf here on the Geek and it says:

The first railway counter that you build will cost you $1. After that
each counter will cost $1 and require one coal and iron cube to be
moved to one of the two locations that are to be connected by the
railway. It does not matter which of the two locations the cubes are
moved to and it may be that you move one cube to one end of the
link and the other to the other end. The rules for coal and iron as
stated earlier all apply.
[Emphasis added]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good, glad to see I am not completely losing my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Corbett
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Deus Pascit Corvos
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - I think that clears up a BIG mistake we made in playing the game. There was too much coal and iron due to it not being removed for rail railbuilding.

Next time we'll get it right!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules relating to this...

Tip: read the very back page of rule book.

Taking Coal & Iron
- Map sources have higher priority, use closes map source if available.
- Distant Port -> Demand Display is a fall back in the case there is no coal/iron on map.
! A flipped Port can still be used as a Distant Port, ie. to access Coal & Iron from the Demand Display.
- see pg 8 & 9 & back page.

Coal & Iron from rules;
Must take Coal & Iron cubes from nearest source:
"You must take the cube from the closest source on the board, as
measured in complete railway connections. A sea lane counts as
a complete railway connection," - pg 8. & back page.
Taking coal and iron from the demand display
"You may be in a situation where you need coal and/or iron and there
is no source that you can take from on the map. If this is the case
then you can take coal and iron from the demand displays." - pg 9 & back page.
- Map Coal Mine & Iron Works have priority over the Demand Display.

----
We stuffed up in first play, concentrating only on "closest source" rule, was wrong... as Map sources have 1st priority.
----

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Treat each of your turns separately. Complete 1 before commencing the 2nd.
2. Railways cannot be moved, nor can they be removed.
3. Yes, Nearest source, Always!, and counted by Rail Links.
4. Yes, once coal and iron are used, they go back into stock/supply.

NOTE: players will never hold onto any coal or iron, it's always on iron works, coal mine, or in the Demand Display area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Squelart
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Auctioning (Almost) All The Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hit on the same issue yesterday, because of someone who had played it previously with the rules just saying "move the cubes to either end of the link" but doesn't explicitly say "remove cubes from game".

Even though I now agree that the reference to "the rules stated earlier" should have lead to the conclusion that cubes are indeed consumed. And it just makes better sense overall, especially knowing Brass.

I think that if there's another edition of the rules, it wouldn't cost anything to just add this point in the "Build a railway" section. There's enough blank space on the page to not screw up the layout. It would remove this potential issue when people read the rules for the first time. And even though I've now explained that to them, they're still arguing about it!

E.g.: "The rules for coal and iron as stated earlier all apply, including that cubes are removed from the game after having been moved."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.