New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rulebook:

Quote:
With 2 or 3 players you may find that the Faction boards reduce competition for the original
docking spaces, making the game feel "too loose". If this happens, we suggest NOT using
the Factions boards at all and just adding the Agenda and new Alien Tech cards to your
base game. 3 players = 7 colonies each. 2 players = 8 colonies each.

Was there any thought of blocking spaces on the main gameboard when using the factions boards?

Maybe you would use all the spaces in the 5-player game. In a 4-player game, you block the spaces that are normally blocked in a 3-player game. In a 3-player game, you block the spaces that are normally blocked in a 2-player game. With 2 players, you don't use factions.

Would this help the feeling of being "too loose"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael...we did consider blocking extra spaces, but it just doesn't seem to work. Going down to two shipyard positions in a four player game, ore one shipyard positon in a three player game, could lead to some serious problems. The only place that might accept added dock blocking in a two or three player game is the solar converter and the alien artifact, and, with the added fuel costs that come with the faction boards and new tech cards, that seems likely to slow down the economics too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
Hi Michael...we did consider blocking extra spaces, but it just doesn't seem to work. Going down to two shipyard positions in a four player game, ore one shipyard positon in a three player game, could lead to some serious problems. The only place that might accept added dock blocking in a two or three player game is the solar converter and the alien artifact, and, with the added fuel costs that come with the faction boards and new tech cards, that seems likely to slow down the economics too much.

Fair enough.

I would definitely prefer it too loose than being slowed down!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I wonder if you could make an optional use for the raiders to roll and place (but not use) the extra color ships. You'd rotate which stations were being blocked and could even block the faction board stations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
leminex wrote:
I wonder if you could make an optional use for the raiders to roll and place (but not use) the extra color ships. You'd rotate which stations were being blocked and could even block the faction board stations.

Interesting idea...sounds like that might make a new faction of it's own...

Brethren of the Stars is a pirate crew known for hijacking ships and using them for nefarious purposes. Their schemes often cause disruptions at the various facilities in orbit around Planet Maxwell. In their spare time they have been known to smuggle valuable tridium ore.
Owner Benefit: The faction owner has control of one blank black die. On their turn they may use the black die to replace any ship on the board, then roll and use that ship as if it were their own (terraforming station excluded). The rolled ship is reclaimed by it's player on their turn but the black ship stays on the board until the faction owner's next turn.
Facility Benefit: Dock a ship and pay the faction owner one fuel. Move the black ship to an empty dock at the Lunar Mine and receive 1 ore.

What do you think??? Faction Pack #2???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
Something to balance 2 player Factions would be really good, I'm sure I will play it mainly 2 player and would not want to miss the factions part. The faction sounds interesting, but some "AI" that blocks places like Leminex suggested would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.