Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a recommendation for a cooperative game to play with my wife.

She is really not competitive, and prefers to play real cooperative games. (except when we play word games, but that's another story)

She enjoys Pandemic. She enjoys it a lot, even if we lose. We tried Forbidden Island, but that's just Pandemic with another theme. The resemblance between both games is to high I think.

She doesn't like Red November, mainly because it doesn't play well with two players, because there is a traitor possibility and because sometimes there is just to much chaos.

We also have Al Cabohne, which can be played pure cooperative. This game is ok, but it lacks the whole "working together to achieve a goal" part of good cooperative games, we think.

So I am looking for a game with following specifications:
- cooperative, preferably pure cooperative (without traitor possibility)
- plays well and is fun with 2 players
- has a interesting theme: almost everything except horror/zombies and war(game) will do
- plays in about 60 to 90 minutes (real playing time, not advertised playing time by the designer)

Please give some comments/argumentation as why you recommend a certain game!

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Pandemic, the Pandemic: On the Brink expansion is worth getting. It adds new characters and two new ways to make the game more difficult (in addition to a traitor option but you didn't sound interested in that).

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is pretty cool. The core set only comes with a few scenarios, but you can get quite a bit of play out of them by doing different things with your decks. There is a stream of new mini-expansions already out and coming out, so you could end up putting a fair amount of money into it if you want to keep growing with it.

My wife really likes Shadows over Camelot. It's a cooperative game with a traitor option, but we play it now and then with just two players and no traitor. The game was designed to be played with more players and a the possibility of a traitor, so whether you have fun with it with only two players depends on what you want to get out of it. There's an expansion for Shadows Over Camelot that makes it more interesting and difficult as well. We picked up the expansion but haven't played it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is great with two and drips with theme. If you like LOTR, its the clear way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the ones already mentioned (all good, IMO), you might get a kick out of Ghost Stories. It's a pure co-op, with a fun theme, and with a lot of tension. You might not win it very often, though (much less than Pandemic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have played and really enjoy:

Lord of the Rings - Nice theme, unique gameplay. Works great with 2. Usually runs about 60-70 minutes for us. Classic.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue - Good theme, feels a bit like Pandemic, but definitely different enough to be worth having both. The game hasn't been released yet (I was a playtester, having bought the earlier self-published edition). Well under 60 minutes. I like it better than my wife.

Vanished Planet - My wife's favorite game. Space theme. Takes 30 minutes per player, so maybe best with 3 (90% of our games have been with 2). People complain about complexity and fiddly-ness, but I think that's overstated. With a good resource conversion chart (I posted my own) it's not that bad. This is more of an "experience" game, where you have decisions but not a lot of agonizing difficult decisions. But we love how tense the games are, as it often seems inevitable that we will lose, but then pull out a "miracle" win.

Games fairly high on my wishlist that I haven't played but might fit:
Chaos Isle: Zombi Deck - Lighter co-op card game.
Star Trek: Expeditions - Not certain how well it plays with 2.
Yggdrasil - Sounds more complicated.
Elder Sign - Dice.
Rune Age - Deckbuilding. One of the scenarios is pure co-op.
Defenders of the Realm - Core is apparently very similar to Pandemic, but adds a cool theme and some extra gameplay features.
Pandemic: On the Brink - People say this expansion adds A LOT to Pandemic.
Atlantis Rising - Forbidden Island meets Stone Age? Unfortunately delayed until 2012.
Wok Star - Real-time chaos. Unfortunately the re-release has been delayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- Yggdrasil: This co-op game is purely cooperative, is fun with 2 players (and becomes more challenging with more players). The theme is Norse mythology. There are multiple characters to choose from, each with a difference unique ability: Thor, Tyr, Freyja, Odin and a few others.

At the beginning of each round, you draw a card from the bad guy deck. The Bad Guy (there are 6 - Loki, Surt, Fenris, etc) on the card moves up on the progress track; this track has check points, and if there are 5 bad guys beyond the first checkpoint, 3 bad guys beyond the second checkpoint or 1 bad guy beyond the final checkpoint at the end of a turn, the players lose.

Each player gets 3 actions on their turn, and those actions are used to acquire weapons and tokens to help fight the invading enemies; if you pick a fight with a bad guy and win, it gets pushed back 1 space on the progress track. The players win by drawing through the entire deck and surviving. There's a bit of luck in the game, both in the randomization of the cards, the roll of the combat die and the fact that you're pulling chits from opaque bags at various points, but the game is all about risk management, assessing the odds and deciding when to play it safe and when to gamble.

I've been remiss in tossing out terms like "progress track" and "bad guys" but the game is quite thematic, and the artwork is beautiful:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Mr_Nuts wrote:
Yggdrasil: This co-op game is purely cooperative, is fun with 2 players (and becomes more challenging with more players).

Exactly - and after a game or a few games, play 2 players with 2 characters each for a more difficult challenge similar to a multiplayer game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Than you for your quick replies, everyone!

I'm quiet interested in Flash Point: Fire Rescue, and am looking more into it for the moment.

Both Yggdrasil and The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game look interesting as well. I'll be looking into those later as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case it wasn't clear, Lord of the Rings and The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game are entirely different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frances McGregor
Canada
The Pas
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi is an excellent coop game that works well with 2 players. My boyfriend and I love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic might be worth checking out. It plays closer to 30-45 minutes than 60, though. Plays well with 2, but supports up to 6. It can be played purely cooperatively in addition to cooperative/competitive rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Carlough
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chiming in for Lord of The Rings: The Card Game. We tried it out at our FLGS and will probably grab a copy in the next few weeks. I though it was really fun and had a dynamicness to it--you can change up starter decks, build decks, do different challenges etc. And since it's cooperative you enjoy and take advantage of different deck's niches (you distract the monsters while I get us the 'explore' points we need to win the game, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Pandemic, but my favorite coop is Ghost Stories. It's really fun, has great replayability, and is quite different from Pandemic.

Another one that I like that doesn't get a lot of love on the geek is Witch of Salem. It has a nice mechanism where players can plan together, but they each receive some information that they can not share with the other player. This forces you to trust you fellow players a bit in choosing their own actions, which I really like.

For a pure co-op that is off the wall, check out Hanabi. As a two-player game it gets mixed reviews, but it's amazing with more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Flash Point: Fire Rescue - Good theme, feels a bit like Pandemic, but definitely different enough to be worth having both. The game hasn't been released yet (I was a playtester, having bought the earlier self-published edition). Well under 60 minutes. I like it better than my wife.

I'm sorry... I read this post and just could not stop giggling about the part I've emphasized above.

Some co-op games my wife and I enjoy playing are Forbidden Island, Pandemic, Castle Panic, and the Lord of the Rings Card Game. Another one I'm looking forward to is Flash Point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggin wrote:
peakhope wrote:
I like it better than my wife.

I'm sorry... I read this post and just could not stop giggling about the part I've emphasized above.

Doh! I like the game, but not THAT much!! blush

Castle Panic is quite fun, and the cardboard castle standies add a whole lot of theme. Ultimately it was too light for us, with very few meaningful decisions (at least if you play it purely cooperatively). It's great for non-gamers and kids, or any time you're in the mood for a light (but tense) castle siege game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:
She doesn't like Red November, mainly because it doesn't play well with two players, because there is a traitor possibility and because sometimes there is just to much chaos.

Just want to say that the traitor aspect doesn't have to be used. I never use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Ender Wiggin wrote:
peakhope wrote:
I like it better than my wife.

Doh! I like the game, but not THAT much!! blush

Castle Panic is quite fun, and the cardboard castle standies add a whole lot of theme. Ultimately it was too light for us, with very few meaningful decisions (at least if you play it purely cooperatively). It's great for non-gamers and kids, or any time you're in the mood for a light (but tense) castle siege game.

Castle Panic is also ripe for house rules and variants, due to the underlying system being so simple. There's some neat stuff in the game's variants forum and files section.

But the basic game is pretty simple. For us that's just fine, because sometime I just want to sit back, have a beer, and slaughter the evils of the forest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
world eater
msg tools
I was looking for something exactly like what you described and recently discovered Yggdrasil at the lgs and could not be happier with it.

The board is beautiful, the game is very well designed and its a good challenge. Great coop and lots of meaningful choices. When I played with 6 of 10 extra challenge cards added in a 2p game we seriously had our work cut out for us. Several times we narrowly avoided defeat by making smart decisions about which god to fight, and a few turns we sweated with a possible loss depending on our enemy draw (one time we had a 20% chance to bite it on draw - thats pretty close!) but good choices lead to an incredibly satisfying victory. Its already my girlfriend's favorite game and its very high on my list.

Good luck, and I hope you find something that hits the spot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.