Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Hindman
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a copy of Survive! since 1984. Let me rephrase that. I have had and played the SAME COPY of Survive! since 1984. I love the game. Period. And in all my years of wandering flea markets, antique stores, and game shops, I have only run across 1 copy for sale. I can only assume that means that other people love the game as much as I do. Therefore, I was really happy to hear about the reissue of this game as I figured it would be nice to have a 'then' and 'now' version. So I recently bought a copy. And all I can say is that I'm not overly impressed.

The wood people tokens, for example. Why do people geek out so much over the wooden tokens? I like the shape of these new ones, but they don't seem to be as stable as the plastic ones from the '84 version. And seriously, who prints in black ink on a dark blue background? You practically need a xenon spotlight to see the numbers on the blue people. That also goes for trying to see the dark purple sea serpents against the dark blue board. Not the easiest things to see. So there's a couple of minor things that I wasn't fond of. I thought the elevated tiles were really cool, until I tried to shuffle them. And what's with the minimalist Euro-style graphics on the backs of the tiles? Not crazy about those, either. The monster tokens are OK, but I just know at some point in time I'm gonna break one of the whales in two.

So, I guess I'm not thrilled with some of the production choices that were made. Since the basic gameplay was left intact, I don't think it takes a lot away from the game, but they could have made some better choices. I am thrilled that a new generation gets to be exposed to this great game thanks to Stronghold Games. I'm glad I got a copy before they sold out. I do think that I'm most likely going to keep playing my '84 copy though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 5-6 player expansion addresses the issue with the numbers on the bottom being hard to see. The people tokens switch from painted wood to painted plastic to make them more uniform but doesn't address the ease of toppling over.

I recommend the game as long as you get the expansion with it.

I am not familiar with the orginal version so I can't tell you how much better/worse it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original and prefer it to the new version for various reasons. But I still like the new version with only a few irk points.

1: The tiles are smaller than the hexes. This is my one big irk with the game.

2: The whale doesnt look right really. It looks like a lost baby whale in comparison. Should have stuck with the tail.

3: The people just dont look right. I think they should have either gone with the "head and shoulders" look, or gone with standard meeples, or gone with the side on swimmer look some of the art showed. Only a minor irk on that. It works and if it doesnt. Well thats why we invented saws right? aheh.

Wood is fine as long as the pieces are painted correctly. Though of painted correctly then they look like plastic pieces and, er... what was the point in wood then. (Ok so it saves on costs of molds and all that. Which is a valid concern if going with the wood tiles is cheaper.)

Strongholds put out a good version of the game and the expansions and willingness to add to and fix things as they go really elevates the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.