Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read here that aftermaths aren't worth taking them inside a deck (some exceptions ignored...). Since I have a bunch of cards and some home faction ambassadors I would love to construct decks but need a certain guideline of which cards types make sense - and in which quantities.

a) So how many cards should a deck house? 60? 65? 70? There is some sudden death mechanism when you can't draw cards anymore but too many cards would lower the draw luck of certain cards. What is a good size in your opinion?

b) How many characters, fleets, groups, events, worlds (locations), agendas and especially conflict cards do you use?

c) It seems to me that it doesn't work well when you rely on all conflict types - so I suppose one should focus on one strategy like military or diplomatic conflict and just have some counter-characters for the other types?

I don't search for killer combos or such things - I just want to know some pretty general basics.

Well, every hint is welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Schmidt
United States
VANCOUVER
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Hmmmm..

First pick your agenda(s). Some decks will use one agenda throughout, while others will build with one agenda and then switch to another late game for more Power.

After that, everything should be in the deck to support the agenda. I usually stuck with one conflict type in general as it seemed most effective.

60 is a good number, you are unlikely to run out.

I want to say I played 10 conflicts, 10 fleets, 15-20 characters, the rest being groups, events, and worlds. Only rarely aftermaths and only if they supported my agenda in a big way.

The only card that was an auto-inlcude in any deck is Level the Playing Field, which provides excellent defense against your opponents conflicts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleets even when you don't focus on a military agenda / conflict?

What do think about Enhancements? Once I read many players believe them to be nearly as useless as aftermaths - but to me some of them really sound interesting (at least global enhancements like presidential coup).

What do you think about a shadow / vorlon strategy? To me it seems like it is hard to get enough marks to really use the good cards early enough - these strategies seem to be very cool/narrative on the one hand but slow on the other one...

What do other players think? With which allotment do you build your decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zubbus O'Really
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have no fleets, all the other players will target you with all their military conflicts and all their Border Raids and Limited Strikes will go straight through. How does that sound?

While I don't rate this game extremely highly, I certainly admire this particular aspect of this game. With all the other CCGs, it's all about designing your own engine and racing the other players to pulling your engine off. The beauty of this game is, you do damn well need to have some meat in every department (unless you have a very, very good reason not to), not just for the scenario above, but say, 2 other players are going at it in Psi, one has 50 Psi total, the other has 55, and you have a single telepath with 6, he does nothing for your deck, but now he could become the pivotal, decisive "fulcrum of power". Ok, he'll probably get neutralized, but they have to neutralized him first, and until then, you get a say. If you had no Psi, you are just a target, for the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can locate some old copies of Scrye magazine, there were some nice deck listings in them that would give you a few ideas. December 1997 to 2001 should cover the time the game was in production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. On defense, you need a little of everything. On offence, your conflicts, that is where the lion's share of your assets go. On getting the most bang for your buck, aim for assets that offer ability in multiple areas as well as some that support your main strategy.

Also, having a little ability everywhere will allow you to step into other conflicts and tilt tight balances, which can earn you winnings and favors where otherwise you would not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see people still playing this, btw. It's an underrated space empire game which deserves continued life and fan following, like the TV series it is based on.

It and Magic are the only two CCGs I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OT: Oh, Netrunner was a VERY good CCG as well. Like the B5 CCG it wasn't the so-often-copied M:TG-clone but a unique design that really "felt" like playing in this universe.

Well, what quantities of cards do you use? The "10/15"-thing like mentioned above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on your deck, you have to play the deck and see how it works. I don't have an exact ratio I go for. I've two decks I used in regular gameplay that I've never disassembled, one is a Human Home Guard Nightwatch deck. That one uses minimum fleets and mostly characters and groups with intrige. I've got three fleets in it. But that and a few characters with military ability is enough for defense.

My League of Non-Aligned Worlds military deck, different story.

I'd use that formula, play with it, tweak it as necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right. But It's always good to have a first base to work with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Mason
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on what cards you have available you may find the old UK newsletter for B5CCG - Black Omega Squadron - useful. I've recently found the PDFs and put them on my wiki. They contain tournament reports, deck listings and strategies for beating the best decks during 1998 and 1999.

For a 60 card deck I would have at least 15 conflicts, 20 characters and fleets and 25 others. The bottom line is that you can't win without conflicts so if you're not drawing them, you're going nowhere. You tend to draw around 2 cards per round on average and so you probably have 8 cards in hand by the time you want to start playing conflicts.

Most important other card? Meditation, it is the only card with for all intents and purposes a negative cost. The only card that is automatically 3 per deck in every single deck. After that, Not Meant to Be, Level the Playing Field, Hour of the Wolf, Burnt from Both Ends and New Priorities are all cards that can fit in any deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for those hints. I suppose one can reduce the conflict cards to 8 or 10 when playing a pure military strategy because you can initiate military conflicts without playing a conflict card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Holcomb
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
great to see people still talking about this game. contrary to the canon you all seem to follow, I built most of my decks around a hundred card cap....60 didn't seem to be enough but then most of the time my opponents were fairly non aggressive and resorted to incessent building before going on the offensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Mason
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only military conflicts you can initiate without playing a conflict card are war conflicts and they are incredibly hard to gain influence from. Plus you have to get to war in the first place.

There's nothing more frustrating than having a board full of fleets and nothing to do with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is one of THE best scifi/politics/power games out there. And it captures the feel of the show very well. Big fan of this show and this game and I am also pleased to see there are fans out there. My hope is at some point to encounter a circle of players wishing to do this once again...

...my B5 CCG circle was one of my more memorable college recollections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.