Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Zen Hamster
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When I'm in charge, every mission is a suicide mission.
mbmbmbmbmb
SCAVENGER HUNT

To celebrate getting my Golden Meeple and GeekBadge today, I have made a Scavenger Hunt across all of BoardGame Geek.

Instructions

The goal is to find 10 words scattered across all of BoardGame Geek (not just the games!). There are 10 clues to help you find these words.

Each clue has 2 parts:

- the first will get you to a page on BGG (game, profile, geeklist, wiki, thread)
- the second tells you where to look for the word (in a few cases you'll need to go to an additional page)
- with one exception, all words are fairly uncommon.

These 10 words form a phrase. The words are already in order. You will have to include 3 exclamation marks (!) in different parts of the phrase. Once you have the correct phrase it should be obvious where they go.

The first person to post the correct phrase with proper punctuation in this thread wins! Please note: any edits to the post will disqualify that post.

The prize is currently: 14.53 geekgold. All geekgold donated to this thread will be given to the winner.

If there is no winner by Saturday, September 10 at 9:00am I'll begin giving hints.

Sponsors for this contest are:

John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Sinclair
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
One Thread for All
badge
The name's Andrew -- pronounced 'Kah-thoo-loo'
mbmbmbmbmb
Djali
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hakuna
badge
Matata
mb
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Good luck!

Clues

1. PCTV9494, nw4

2. Old McDonald, e9b7w3

3. #1, dw3

4. SDJ05, dj-emotion

5. GILITCC, 14

6. Boss, p2s2Lw

7. FTL, 1-w25

8. DRK92, ds1Lw-1.

9. Conference Shoplifter, dw11

10. Disney song, dp3Lw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Zen Hamster
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From conversations with people, I gather the clues are a bit too cryptic. I'm going to hold off posting hints yet, but if you think you know a word feel free to email me. I'll tell you if you are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Zen Hamster
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've updated the rules for the clues to make them clearer.

Congrats to
chris johnson
United States
Oregon
Illinois
flag msg tools
for being the first to correctly guess one of the words.

If you think you've figured one out, feel free to email me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Zen Hamster
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick update:

I have received correct answers for 5 of the 10 words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quint Wheeler
United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant! Veggiemeeples trumpet happily! Trendy luminaries promote this prestigious victory!
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Zen Hamster
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwheeler wrote:
Brilliant! Veggiemeeples trumpet happily! Trendy luminaries promote this prestigious victory!

Congratulations, Quint Wheeler is the winner!

There were 3 additional sponsors:

Raimond
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götalands län
flag msg tools
Northern Lights
badge
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. (Carl Sagan 1934-1996)
mbmbmbmbmb

Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb

Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb

Which brings the total prize to: 20.53 geekgold!

Thanks so much to the sponsors!

Here are the answers to the clues:

1. PCTV9494, nw4: microbadge 9494, category Pop Culture TV, name-word 4

2. Old McDonald, e9b7w3: Agricola, expansion#9, bullet 7, word 3

3. #1, dw3: Twilight Struggle, Description-word 3

4. SDJ05, dj-emotion: Niagara, Niagara: Diamond Joe

5. GILITCC, 14: [geeklist=Games I Lost In the Car crash][/geeklist], #14

6. Boss, p2s2Lw: Scott Alden's profile, paragraph 2, sentence 2, last word (Note: Derk Solko's profile is much shorter)

7. FTL, 1-w25: Feel the Love thread, post 1, word 25

8. DRK92, ds1Lw-1. Doctor Reiner Knizia, Modern Art published in 1992, Description-sentence 1, second last word

9. Conference Shoplifter, dw11: anagram of The Princes of Florence, Description-word 11

10. Disney song, dp3Lw: Small World, Description-paragraph 3, last word.

Thanks everyone who played the Scavenger Hunt. If you'd like me to do another some time, let me know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, I just went to read this. Looks like I missed out on the fun by less than an hour. Next time, Hamster, next time. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quint Wheeler
United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a lot of fun. Thanks for taking the time to make it! I'd definitely be up for another sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Quint! I'd never have come to this conclusion, even now that I see the hints.surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
That turned out to be easier then I'd thought. I got 3, 4 and 10 almost right away, but the other hints stumped me, and I suspected they were referring to more obscure boardgames which I'd never even heard of, so wandered off to go do other things.
For future reference: A hint that all hints were referring to "big" concepts on BGG might've helped with (at least my) interest in this.

Anyway, congratulations to Quint for not giving up so swiftly and to hamsterzen for the badge and golden meeple!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quint Wheeler
United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - I got 3 and 4 right away too, but I spent much more time than I'd like to admit figuring out the rest. The one that took me the longest was number 1 - I was convinced that PCTV stood for "Personal Collection Tom Vasel" and I spent quite a bit of time digging through his collection looking for a 9494.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Zen Hamster
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a_traveler wrote:
That turned out to be easier then I'd thought. I got 3, 4 and 10 almost right away, but the other hints stumped me, and I suspected they were referring to more obscure boardgames which I'd never even heard of, so wandered off to go do other things.
For future reference: A hint that all hints were referring to "big" concepts on BGG might've helped with (at least my) interest in this.

Anyway, congratulations to Quint for not giving up so swiftly and to hamsterzen for the badge and golden meeple!

If I do this again I'll definitely try to give a better explanation at the beginning. I might do a scavenger hunt via geeklist just for fun, so others can add to it and people can play when they have time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super hoopy congrats to you Quint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.