Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

I have a question, the same kind of question I had playing other game:
-can I cast 2 or more creatures with just one Q die?
For example, I roll 2 assistants (creature) and a 2Q on one die, can I use this single die to pay the 2 assistants or I'm forced to use a die for each creature if I want to cast them?

This question really influences the way we play the Growth spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Pitts
United States
Aloha
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Because you first spend the quiddity dice to add quiddity to your quiddity pool. Then you spend from that pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much.

Not bad, 2-of-2!
We played this game just this way, got through the rules and found nothing against it, so we played it right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
cphpitts wrote:
Yes. Because you first spend the quiddity dice to add quiddity to your quiddity pool. Then you spend from that pool.

I don't see the justification for this reasoning in the rule book. On page 14 the second paragraph of Phase 5 reads:

Quote:
The cost (in Quiddity) of each die is shown in the upper left corner of the matching Power Card. Spend dice from your Active Pool to pay the required cost. In addition, you may have gained Quiddity from your Immediate Effects, Creatures, or Spells. You may also spend this Quiddity now.

Nowhere in the rules is a Quiddity pool mentioned.

There seem to be two questions.
1) That posed by the OP which asks if excess Quiddity from a single die may be spent to ready multiple creatures.
2) If not spent on readying creatures does excess Quiddity from that phase get carried over to Phase 5 when capturing a Quarry die. This question is the reason I included the above quote since it details sources of Quiddity in Phase 5 and does not mention unspent Quiddity from Phase 3.

Thought and/or random conjecture?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the rules do not mention any such thing as a "quiddity pool". But that term has been used in many discussions (in analogy to the "Mana Pool" in MtG as it makes talking about the game easier. There are several things can be directly determined from the rules:

1. You spend dice showing a Quiddity side to get Quiddity. Spending a die is (loosely) defined in the rules as moving it from you active area to your used area.
2. Later you spend that Quiddity to do things: ready creatures and purchase new dice. Note the rules never say you spend Quiddity dice; they just say spend Quiddity.
3. The rules also say that any quiddity not spent by the end of your turn is lost.

There is no requirement in the rules that you spend the dice to get quiddity immediately before you spend the quiddity. Once you spend a die to get quiddity it's no longer associated with that die so you're free to spend that quiddity any way you like. The game rule do not care if you split the quiddity from a single die to be spent on multiple things and also do not care if you combine Quiddity from multiple dice for a single purchase. "Quiddity Pool" is an informal term (meaning not used in the rule book) used by some players to decsribe the virtual place where your Quiddity lives between when you spend the dice to get it and when you spend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark!

That certainly clears things up.

You should be careful, as you know the rules very well, to make a distinction between what is in the rule book and what you know to be in the rules of the game. Pretend you know nothing of the game and read the sections for phase 3 and phase 5 anew, you might be surprised by what is actually communicated there.

I'm glad that the rules as written are equivalent to a Quiddity pool which can be added to and spent from freely throughout your turn. This simplifies the rules, and would simplify the rule book as well if the rules were presented this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gallant
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the rule of common sense can be applied to this situation as, to me, it makes no sense whatsoever to not allow the "splitting" or spending of quiddity any way you wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheeseburger wrote:
I think that the rule of common sense can be applied to this situation as, to me, it make no sense whatsoever to not allow the "splitting" or spending of quiddity any way you wish.

Common sense would tell me to check in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.