Subject: Boy Scouts Announce Chess Merit Badge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Tortorice
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chess finally gets its own merit badge! It's about time.

Boy Scouts of America Introduces New Merit Badge... With Roots That Date Back to 600 AD

Quote:
DALLAS, Sept. 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Scouts will be able to add a new patch to their merit badge sash—a patch for playing a game. However, it's a game that requires critical thinking skills, deep concentration, and abstract reasoning. The Boy Scouts of America will introduce the Chess merit badge in September encouraging Scouts to enjoy an ancient game while acquiring life skills necessary for today.

Requirements for achieving the chess merit badge include such things as learning scorekeeping using the algebraic system of chess notation and explaining the four rules for castling. Additionally, Scouts must teach someone else how to play chess, play in a chess tournament, or organize a competition.

"The chess community is excited about this new merit badge from the Boy Scouts of America," stated Bill Hall, Executive Director of the United States Chess Federation (USCF). "We believe that chess has the potential to positively impact young people from every background."

The Chess merit badge requirements, along with the pamphlet, emerged through a cooperative effort between the organizations and members of the USCF, led by committee chair Ralph Bowman. The USCF offers annual national competitions that attract thousands of students involved in local chess programs.

The Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis will host the official launch of the merit badge in conjunction with the grand opening of the World Chess Hall of Fame. To kick off the launch, Scouts will play in a live human chess match on Sept. 10. Anyone can join the fun by clicking on the link between 1:05-1:25 pm CST on 9/10 to view the live link for the Human Chess match at: www.livestream.com/uschess

"The BSA has had a long history related to the game of chess. Noted chess champion Bobby Fischer wrote articles for Boys' Life magazine for several years during the early 70s," said Bob Mazzuca, Chief Scout Executive of the Boy Scouts of America. "I can think of no better way to introduce the new Chess merit badge to the world than through the activities planned during the World Chess Hall of Fame."

The United States Chess Federation (USCF), founded in 1939, serves as the governing body for chess in the United States and is now headquartered in Crossville, Tennessee. The USCF is devoted to extending the role of chess in American society. It promotes the study and knowledge of chess, for its own sake as an art and enjoyment, and as a means for the improvement of society. The USCF is a not-for-profit membership organization with more than 80,000 members. For additional information on the USCF, see http://www.uschess.org.

About the Boy Scouts of America
The Boy Scouts of America provides the nation's foremost youth program of character development and values-based leadership training, which helps young people be "Prepared. For Life.™" The Scouting organization is composed of 2.7 million youth members between the ages of 7 and 21 and more than a million volunteers in nearly 300 local councils throughout the United States and its territories. For more information on the Boy Scouts of America, please visit www.scouting.org.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot! Since I am the school's chess coach and a troop leader, I guess I'll be the merit badge councilor!

I am excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, you'd have thought they would have instituted this a long time ago. Guess it wasn't a standard fit for the scouting ideal. But good for the Boy Scouts for getting with the times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'd had this option when I was in Scouts, I might have climbed past 2nd class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Chess requirements

1. Discuss with your merit badge counselor the history of the game of chess. Explain why it is considered a game of planning and strategy.

2. Discuss with your merit badge counselor the following:
a. The benefits of playing chess, including developing critical thinking skills, concentration skills, and decision-making skills, and how these skills can help you in other areas of your life
b. Sportsmanship and chess etiquette

3. Demonstrate to your counselor that you know each of the following. Then, using Scouting's Teaching EDGE, teach the following to a Scout who does not know how to play chess:
a. The name of each chess piece
b. How to set up a chessboard
c. How each chess piece moves, including castling and en passant captures

4. Do the following:
a. Demonstrate scorekeeping using the algebraic system of chess notation.
b. Discuss the differences between the opening, the middle game, and the endgame.
c. Explain four opening principles.
d. Explain the four rules for castling.
e. On a chessboard, demonstrate a "scholar's mate" and a "fool's mate."
f. Demonstrate on a chessboard four ways a chess game can end in a draw.

5. Do the following:
a. Explain four of the following elements of chess strategy: exploiting weaknesses, force, king safety, pawn structure, space, tempo, time.
b. Explain any five of these chess tactics: clearance sacrifice, decoy, discovered attack, double attack, fork, interposing, overloading, overprotecting, pin, remove the defender, skewer, zwischenzug.
c. Set up a chessboard with the white king on e1, the white rooks on a1 and h1, and the black king on e5. With White to move first, demonstrate how to force checkmate on the black king.
d. Set up and solve five direct-mate problems provided by your merit badge counselor.

6. Do ONE of the following:
a. Play at least three games of chess with other Scouts and/or your merit badge counselor. Replay the games from your score sheets and discuss with your counselor how you might have played each game differently.
b. Play in a scholastic (youth) chess tournament and use your score sheets from that tournament to replay your games with your merit badge counselor. Discuss with your counselor how you might have played each game differently.
c. Organize and run a chess tournament with at least four players, plus you. Have each competitor play at least two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a great merit badge. I hope the counselor understands en passant before the scout is asked to explain it! And what if all the scouts in the troop already know how to play? Get some dweeb off the street I suppose.
Shadowen wrote:
3. Demonstrate to your counselor that you know each of the following. Then, using Scouting's Teaching EDGE, teach the following to a Scout who does not know how to play chess:
a. The name of each chess piece
b. How to set up a chessboard
c. How each chess piece moves, including castling and en passant captures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not familiar with all of these aspects of Chess, I would encourage local scout leaders(?) to visit a local chess club and try and recruit a chess mentor for these purposes. It's too much to ask a scout leader to learn this stuff off the cuff. They'd likely not be able to answer the questions that invariably arise. I was asked this week to do such work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Looks like my son will be getting another one. He actually joined his Chess Club last year, and beat me for the first time last spring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
twixter wrote:
And what if all the scouts in the troop already know how to play? Get some dweeb off the street I suppose.

There are plenty of cub scout packs around. A cub scout can earn the Chess belt loop by learning those three things and playing a game. The Boy Scout can teach it to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.