John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't written much about SMG only because I am not a great game reviewer in the sense of putting my game results into words. My main goal today is to explain to people why this game is a GREAT game for war gamers and non-war gamers alike.

What's in it for the war gamer: I am an ASL and the like veteran. I like games with meat, not necessarily in the rules department, but the strategy department. I learn most of my games on repetition and enjoy most war games. I was pleasantly surprised at the non correlation of a short rules set and a fun, strategic involved play. It struck and absolute chord with me as far as war gaming. It had the element that took me back to the days of Ambush! worrying about 'my guys' and seeing what I had to do to keep everyone alive. The board was not hexed but set as squares with terrain modifiers built in thus, no pesky charts to look at. It goes against everything a war gamer is use to and borders on total miniatures play yet, keeping the board game element with all the controls set on the map which is brilliant. I have introduced the game to 3 of my close war gamer friends and they have all loved it, wanting to play it again and all are considering a purchase. Don't get me wrong, I still love my ASL, Combat Commander, Flames of War and other great games in my collection, but this one carves out a nitch I do not have as a war gamer.

What's in it for the non-war gamer: Yes, I admit I like my Ameritrash, Euros and Abstracts and have friends that will only play those types of games. I introduced 2 of those friend to this game to get their reaction. They are pretty good friends so I did not have to worry about them being honest with their feelings about the game. Their take was a very positive one after being somewhat skeptical of the game and system. What did they like? Of course the fully painted figures for starters but they liked the story aspect of the game. They appreciated the ebb and flow of battle and how a quick change in tactics to counter an event was part of the game and the changing story. The rules were definitely to their liking as I had them up and running in 15 minutes. Of of their first comments after the game was 'what is the next part of the story'? SO for a non wargamer, I would say this is a game that is easy to get into and will give you good strategic options without twisting your mind from a game like ASL or EurofrontII. In my book, 'the story' element is a big plus for non war gamers.

So take what you will from this. I highly suggest finding someone that has the game and get a play in to see if its your cup of tea. If your a war gamer and think the game isn't big enough in scope, don't worry, expansions are forthcoming! Troops are already avaliable and more things are in the pipeline!
Non war gamers, enjoy the story and the fun of a war game that won't break your brain trying to learn but offers quite a lot of rewarding game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnny, I think this is a well balanced yet informative posting.

You said some of your buddies were interested in getting the game too....maybe they would be interested in getting their own "units" at first, and that way might get some "flesh" into the game right away.

This is something that's also cool about the SMG system (and where it's headed), in that personalizing the novelty of the troops makes every add-on set of soldiers unique by the differences in their card mixes. Eventually, we might be able to order custom-requested soldiers and attributes levels, and our own personal name choices on them (in addition to those that might be earned through the First Sergeants program).

Think it would be cool having the buds come over to play, and they bring their own squads along to put together scenario forces from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's been my thought David. They did not order before the cut off date, but they do know that their are troops available and they will all be UNIQUE! I am hoping that is what happens as soon as the soldiers become available again. I have enough to keep me going with the maps I have but as I expand terrain, I think I would like to delve into some heavy machine guns!!!!laugh

Thanks for your thoughts about the post!!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD wrote:
That's been my thought David.

Get 'em hook on the toys, eh.

This game (and the interest group here at BGG) is so cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kerstan
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've order this game.

I've always wanted a simple man-to-man miniatures game, but without the fiddly bits such as painting figures, flocking terrain etc. I liked all that stuff when I was at University, but now that I have limited time, I just want to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Debbie extended the prerelease sales date to September 15. We had some delays due to the Hurricane. Please let your friends know there is still time for SMG First Sergeants participation.

I need to go back to work on the Roster for the website. It will be available by the end of the month. You will be able to see each privates promotion path and cards available.

After that the online scenario designer will be next up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.