Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb

Where do you usually stand on the cultural/coin track when you win using another path to victory?

Do you go all out into your strat or do you kind of keep you civilization balance in every victory path?

What about military? If you don't go that way, how good is your army? Inexistant? No flag just a few unit + city bonuses? Good to great army to prevent the military guys from steamrolling you?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes effort to get culture cards, unless China or Rome. So taking them means giving up something else. I can get coins when fighting, with extra trade, with culture or with resources. I can build up my infrastructure to pour out endless military or build trade buildings (or coin buildings). More coins I have the better my trade becomes which helps Tech. I can use my military to kill cities and take Tech. I can use Tech to improve military and get coins and unlock banks.

3 paths to victory are synergistic. Culture can randomly help with any path, but the price you pay to get those random bonuses for me are too high. So unless I am trying once again to win with culture (and probably failing again as something else becomes easier or I can't fight off my neighbors) I will only have the culture I gain from taking culture after a fight (rare), wonders (possibly) or cashed in from incense (that I didn't spend to make them coins). In other words, zero to very few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is a culture victory feasible with Chinesse or Romans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
China gets free culture tokens at the beginning, so they will more or less move through the first level for free. Rome gets to move up the culture track when they build a city, destroy a city, destroy a village or build a wonder. So they too will move up. I have yet to leverage either of those advantages into a victory. I find if I am playing against good players you can't sit back and create the infrastructure you need (both trade and culture generating) to move quickly up the culture track. There are games I probably could have won with culture, but they were games where I was significantly better than the other players and even so the other 3 tracks would have led to faster victories (admittedly those were earlier games of mine and I wasn't trying for culture).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.