Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All, I am a lover of boardgames but amongst all that I have played the card game Rook is still my favorite gaming experience. I played Rook for roughly 3 hours a day for two years of Bible School and so I feel like I understand the game more than most. Also I have found that outside of this level of competitveness (ie. where everyone is counting and making intelligent guesses as to what everyone has and trying to trap where possible) the game is just not half as fun! Anyways, I posted in the "Ever heard of this variant?" thread how I play and why I think that way is best if anyone is interested.

After that looong introduction I'd like to detail my favorite version of 2 player Rook called "Honeymoon" Rook (although I change the name to 2 player Rook when playing with my buddies and not my wife ).

You deal out the cards as if you are playing a normal 4 player game of Rook with 5 in the kitty.

Each player Has a normal hand in their hands and both play a second hand in front of them on the table. The hands on the Table have 6 cards face down and 7 face up (the face up on top of the face down cards, 1 face up card has nothing underneath it). you bid as normal (although bids are usually lower than normal). The person who takes the bid adds the kitty to their hand and removes 5 cards as normal.

The nonbid winner starts the game after trump is called by playing from their hand. The order of played cards goes like this: player 1 leads from hand, player 2 plays from hand, player 1 plays from table, player 2 plays from table. If the Table hand wins it, then you lead the next trick from the Table followed by the opposing player playing from their table followed by the first player playing from their hand, and ended by the opposing player playing from their hand. To simplify: it either goes hand,hand,table,table or table,table,hand,hand.

As cards are used up from the Table facedown cards are flipped face up so that there are always 7 face up cards (of course when you are down to the 6 last tricks there will be less face up )

The rest of the rules are the same as regular Rook. Once again, what Regular Rook is to me is posted in the thread mentioned above (Note: it is very different than what is posted in the rules of most Rook decks).

What makes me enjoy this variant is that it is a completely different experience than normal 4 player Rook. most times two player games are less fun than the original 4 player versions but that is not so with this variant. What makes it so different is you can see half of your opponents table hand from the get go. Also, table hands can often be short suited making for alot of trumping. The combination of seeing an opponents hand, having some trump hidden facedown, and more trumping possibilities makes for a very different experience form traditional Rook.

I hope this was helpful, if you try it let me know what you think of it. If something I said was unclear feel free to ask me here or send me a message to clarify (sometimes I forget where i post and forget to see if people actually read it and responded). Happy Rooking everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question: what version of the rules do you use to play Honeymoon Rook? The rules I have from my Hasbro set state you do not play with the cards 1-2-3-4. I'm new to this game. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not play according to any rules printed in any of the decks I have seen. I actually don't know anyone who plays by the printed rules that come packaged with most Rook decks. I have written a review on Rook which you can check to see how I play. In short though:

I play with all the cards
1s are high and worth 15 points
14s and 10s are worth 10
5s are worth 5
Rook is lowest trump an is worth 20. Rook card can NOT be played at any time but acts like a normal trump card.

You CAN put point cards in the kitty(nest) winner of the last trick gets these points.

Hope this helps

Edit: for 4p games I also play Call Partner where the bid winner names a card and whoever has that card is their partner for that hand(the partner is secret until that called card is played).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.