On The Wagon!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
So , I would like to get a 2 player rpg(ish) game for me and my fantasy loving girlfriend. Something that would be akin to playing D&D without a DM and also without figures if possible. I have been looking around the site... Defenders of the Realm , Dungeon Twister , Runebound...etc....

Main Desires:

Fantasy theme
Different Characters/Abilities
Dungeon style adventure
less than 3.0 weight - see my collection...
Randomly generated encounters
Fantasy theme - did I mention that ?

I know BGG and I will probably get a ton of recommendations... which is awesome, but please try to keep it to the set parameters as much as possible.
Oh and if costs around 30$ that would be great as I would like to trade my Dominion for the game I pick. In fact... if you want Dominion....

Thanks As Always !!!

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
Incursion is Nazi Zombies vs. Mecha Allied troopers in cavernous, dank underground compound. Kind of like Space Hulk, but much better. And the best part is it is on sale for only $15 right now at the publisher's website:

www.grindhousegames.com

Here is the direct link to the game page there:

http://www.grindhousegames.com/products/package-1

LA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
Claustrophobia,
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)

but all of them are pricey...
hard to meet all of your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for a dungeoncrawl (combat-on-a-grid) sort of game, or adventure boardgame (go to a space, draw a card)?

The PnP route will save you a few bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
The PnP route will save you a few bucks.

I agree with Sam and Max -- you should check out Dungeon Plungin'. Good game, fun graphics, and free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Run is a new lightweight dungeon game coming out in October and runs about $30 to $35 at online gamestores. You've got heroes with unique and upgradeable/customizeable powers throughout the game, you got smashing and bashing galore fighting off the baddies until someone gets the treasure and then you smash and bash the one holding the treasure before he or she escapes the dungeon! It does have minis though. Sounds like a ton of fun!

Check out thsi review to see if you might dig it:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/9329/dungeon-run/miami-dice-0...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On The Wagon!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
As usual I didn't make my OP specific enough.

Minis are okay as long as there isn't dozens of them to deal with.

By fantasy I mean Swords Sorcerers Dragons type stuff.

I am checking out some of the suggestions now.

I want to say that what I am looking for is D&D meets... and I am not sure what... Mansions of Madness ? I never played that tho so.. just going by desc.
But want to be able to play gainst the game. One or two players. Not P&P.No "game/dungeon master". No huge gameboards/area needed.

Something where you play a unique character and encounter random creatures. Maybe there is a quest/scenario to complete. Perhaps cards are used as your random encounters.

Am I making any sense ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, except for cost I'd say Talisman is a great option. That or RuneBound. They have quite a few similarities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Montague
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
The D&D Board Games mentioned above are about the closest to waht you're describing. There are a lot of minis, but you aren't using them all at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, then you might want to try DungeonQuest (third edition)

LA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On The Wagon!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoMa wrote:
Dungeon Run is a new lightweight dungeon game coming out in October and runs about $30 to $35 at online gamestores. You've got heroes with unique and upgradeable/customizeable powers throughout the game, you got smashing and bashing galore fighting off the baddies until someone gets the treasure and then you smash and bash the one holding the treasure before he or she escapes the dungeon! It does have minis though. Sounds like a ton of fun!

Check out thsi review to see if you might dig it:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/9329/dungeon-run/miami-dice-0...

that does look pretty darn neat !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound sounds like a good choice. It's about $50, I think, and it comes with lots of item and encounter cards and quite a few heroes (somewhere between 12 and 16 I think). It feels very much like an older computer RPG, along the lines of Ultima. There are lots of expansions available if you want more encounters/items/adventures/maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On The Wagon!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:
Okay, then you might want to try DungeonQuest (third edition)

LA

Yep yep , this also looks good ! thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

Main Desires:

Fantasy theme
Dungeon style adventure

Cave Troll. A recent & very surprising purchase for myself which fits all of your desires. It plays rather quick and has alternate rules for raising complexities once you get used to it. Great fun, not too heavy and playable with up to 4 players.

Certainly alot of different characters, doesn't get more dungeon-style than a dungeon... with Cave Trolls...

It averages a current 1.9 in weight which I'd say is about right. Once you get your head around the characters and their ability you'll fly through the games, but it's strategic enough that you'll be wanting to come back for more.

Encounters are somewhat randomly generated, you have a deck to draw from which allows you to "recruit" or "summon" characters into play. I use those terms loosely as you get both adventurers coming to the cave/dungeon searching for loot as well as monsters which come from the several pits around the board which you control to hinder your opponent(s).

Fantasy? It's dripping with that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
Labyrinth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
(...)
Main Desires:

Fantasy theme
Dungeon style adventure

(...)

Runebound can meet all of your listed criteria. I use to play this very game a lot with my girlfriend, it's one of our favorites. Apart from Frozen Wastes we own every big box expansion released for Runebound so far.

But before I recommend this game, there is one thing about it that should be noted:
A lot of people think of Runebound as a boring game, because its focus is first and foremost on combat. You experience random encounters, but the specific encounter decks (green, yellow, blue, red) consist of 90% enemies. There are some quests, but they are nothing more than a nice addition without any real impact on the game (I usually end the game with a host of ignored quests laying beneath my character card). You will fight, level up, fight again.
On the other hand, this is the big strength of the game. For a boardgame, Runebound offers a quite "sophisticated" yet fast combat system with three different types of combat (ranged, melee, magic) and enemies with multiple hitpoints. Thanks to the level system of the hero you can improve the skill of your hero in a certain discipline step by step with no real level cap limiting you. Plus getting a bonus from items. It is perfectly possible to level your to the point where he will auto-kill most enemies without the need for rolling dice.
In short: Runebound is in boardgaming terms what Diablo 2 is in the videogaming world - hack'n'slay at its best. Kill monsters to become stronger to kill more and stronger monsters.

If that is what you're looking for then get Runebound.

An alternative, if you can find it, is Prophecy. It's quite similar to Runebound, but uses more simple combat mechanics. Kind of "advanced Talisman".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Buffing
Netherlands
Almere
Flevoland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TBH I'd go for Wrath of Ashardalon or wait for Legend of Drizzt, it sounds exactly like what you describe.

Co-op, easy to play dungeon crawler set in the DND universe, encountering random creatures in a random dungeon and handling 1 scenario from 12 in the scenario book.
Its light and fast but lacks some meat you might find in a longer heavier game like descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox1001 wrote:
Oh god, not Dungeonquest. Looks at Tom Vassal's review about it.

I would not go with Runebound or Talisman. Good games, but will not likely fit your needs as you describe them.

Dungeon Run is a good idea, not sure how it would play with 2 players tho. Dungeon Twister: Prison, a VERY good idea. Also Wrath of Ashardalon.

Tom isn't always right, Check out his review of X610Z for an example of a review I think he rushed. To be fair though the guy can't possibly play all the games he receives, completely enough to do great reviews all the time, it's just not humanely possible.

Dungeonquest is fantastic with the right kind of group, you just need a group with the right mindset.

Back on topic, Super Dungeon Explore and the series of D&D board games all seem like good choices for the original poster.

Edit for grammar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox1001 wrote:
Quote:
Tom isn't always right

But he is in this case because he agrees with me

All of a sudden I am reminded of those commercials from the 80s/90s "Tastes Great/Less Filling!" except replace it with "Great game/Terrible game!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakon - FFG Silver line game (small box like Cave Troll).

HeroCard Orc Wars - Has tiles for dungeon and outdoor battles. Card based battling.

Tomb
Tomb: Cryptmaster - Gather your party and supplies in the tavern and brave the brutal tombs. There are two stand-alone versions of the game with a third ont he way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lavarnway
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought some of the Dungeoneer games on eBay. Haven't gotten to play yet, but they are supposed to be pretty light, don't need a GM, and you can pick up two different sets for $30 or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.