Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently plowing through the Dutch rules in preparation for my first game and have already come across a few sections where it seems there was some information lost in translation.

See this topic for an example: Revealing Ship Modifications at the Start of the Game?

I will use this topic to ask questions, (hopefully) get answers from the players with the original English version and clarify some things for fellow Dutchies.

I will make different sections for the FAQ and open questions and will post them both in Dutch and English.

If you are an English player, please look at the Open Questions and help out if you can. If you are a Dutch player, you can still look there and give us your thoughts, of course.

FAQ

Q-Eng: When are the face-down ship modification tokens revealed?
Q-NL: Wanneer worden de dichte fiches voor schip uitbreidingen omgedraaid?

A-Eng: When a player plays the "Port" action in that port (with subsequent sub-actions), e.g. NOT the Scout or Move action.
A-NL: Als een speler de "Haven" actie kiest in die haven (met bijkomstige sub-acties), dus NIET de Scout of Bewegen actie.

Q-Eng: At the start of the game, when a player draws a captain from the pile, is he allowed to look at it before choosing his ship?
Q-NL: Aan het begin van het spel, mag een speler de kapitein die hij van de stapel pakt inzien voor hij zijn schip kiest?

A-Eng: You are allowed to look at your captain before choosing your ship.
A-NL: Je mag je kapitein zien voordat je je schip kiest.

Q-Eng: In the Dutch rules, the reward for defeating the NPC Pirate Frigate mentioned in one section is 10 Gold, another section says it's 15 Gold, which is correct?
Q-NL: In de Nederlandse regels staat als beloning voor het verslaan van het NPC Piraten Fregat op de ene plek 10 Goud en op de andere plek 15 Goud, welke is juist?

A-Eng: The correct reward is 15 Goud.
A-NL: De juiste beloning is 15 Goud.

Q-Eng: On the Event cards for the Pirate Sloop, the Frigate is mentioned, which do I have to put in play/move?
Q-NL: Op de Gebeurteniskaarten voor de Piratensloep staat het Fregat vermeld, welke moet ik op het bord zetten/verplaatsen?

A-Eng: You have to move the Sloop.
A-NL: Je verplaatst de Sloep.

Open Questions

None at this moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
English Rules:

"At the start of play, each player follows the following steps:
1) Select the color you wish to play...
2) Randomly draw a Captain from the Captain Card deck - do not reveal which Captain you draw.
3) Secretly choose a ship for your Captain by placing it in your hand. You can choose between a Sloop and a Flute. Select the Sloop if you want a highly maneuverable ship suitable for piracy, or pick the Flute to get a vulnerable, but capable merchant vessel.
All players now simultaneously reveal their Captain and their chosen ship."

I take the bolded part of point 2 to mean not to reveal it to your opponents, but you can certainly look at it yourself to help with your boat decision in 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can download a PDF of the English rulebook from the Z-Man website. Since your English appears to be quite good, I would suggest downloading that in order to be able to do a more direct comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
You can download a PDF of the English rulebook from the Z-Man website. Since your English appears to be quite good, I would suggest downloading that in order to be able to do a more direct comparison.

Okay, I will do that.

Since I couldn't find the rules on this site and the game is published by a different publisher in The Netherlands (White Goblin Games), I had some trouble locating it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LotB 2002
Netherlands
Utrecht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Davio wrote:
I am currently plowing through the Dutch rules in preparation for my first game and have already come across a few sections where it seems there was some information lost in translation.

See this topic for an example: Revealing Ship Modifications at the Start of the Game?

I will use this topic to ask questions, (hopefully) get answers from the players with the original English version and clarify some things for fellow Dutchies.

I will make different sections for the FAQ and open questions and will post them both in Dutch and English.

If you are an English player, please look at the Open Questions and help out if you can. If you are a Dutch player, you can still look there and give us your thoughts, of course.

FAQ

Q-Eng: When are the face-down ship modification tokens revealed?
Q-NL: Wanneer worden de dichte fiches voor schip uitbreidingen omgedraaid?

A-Eng: When a player plays the "Port" action in that port (with subsequent sub-actions), e.g. NOT the Scout or Move action.
A-NL: Als een speler de "Haven" actie kiest in die haven (met bijkomstige sub-acties), dus NIET de Scout of Bewegen actie.

Open Questions

In the Dutch rules it says that at the start of the game players draw a captain and put them facedown in front of them. Then they choose a ship and all reveal both their captain and their ship of choice at the same time. It is unclear whether the players themselves may look at their captain to perhaps choose a better suited ship before they choose the ship.

Q-Eng: At the start of the game, when a player draws a captain from the pile, is he allowed to look at it before choosing his ship?
Q-NL: Aan het begin van het spel, mag een speler de kapitein die hij van de stapel pakt inzien voor hij zijn schip kiest?

A-Eng: Look at your captain yourself, choose your career and the ship needed.
A-NL: Bekijk zelf je kapitein, kies je carriere en het bijbehorende schip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your addition, I edited the OP.

I also found another inconsistency: the reward for defeating the NPC Pirate Frigate. At one point, it's 10 Gold, at another it's 15 Gold.

I looked it up in the English rules and found that the correct reward is 15 Gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilona
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thnx for this nice topic! sad there are so much trouble with the dutch translation... and the translation on the cards... ( like the event cards with the pirate boats)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.