Subject: More rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Fraley
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
1. If a tank is in a wood house hex and wants to pivot, does he pay 1 AP, or 3 AP because of the terrain cost?

2. When reinforcements arrive and the scenario calls for you to add CAPs to your "base CAP allotment", does base mean how many CAPs you had at the beginning on the game, round, something else?

3. Of the 3 HMG '42 counters in the game, HMG '42 #3 has a blue circle around it's firepower, while # 1 and 2 don't. Is this correct or a misprinting?

4. Out of curiosity, why do russian mortars have a higher front defense than russian rifles?

5. Lastly, others have pointed out the seemingly weird issue of retreating vehicles zig-zaging in big circles in order to keep they're front armor facing the enemy. In 99% of situations it seems to make more sense to pay 1 AP, move forward diagonally, pivot to reverse your facing, move 1 or 2 hexes forward, and reverse facing once more to keep front armor facing the enemy... rather than pay 2 AP to move 1 hex backwards.

This seems like a significant issue and I wonder if Academy games has any thoughts on it. In another thread it was proposed that vehicle movement should restrict the number of pivots to 1 hex face per 1 forward move; however this then imposes ridiculous and unrealistic turning radiuses on vehicles, given the scale of the hexes.

I proposed the idea that if vehicles use their bonus movement, that they not be allowed to pivot after they're LAST forward movement. This doesn't impose any turning radius, and would make players decide "Am I backing up, or flooring it in the other direction?". If my intent is to slam in in reverse and not reveal my flank armor, then I should pay the +1 AP and move one hex backward.

Any thoughts on this? Other suggestions or interpretations?

Thanks for all help!

-B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheesesailor77 wrote:
1. If a tank is in a wood house hex and wants to pivot, does he pay 1 AP, or 3 AP because of the terrain cost?

Pivoting is always just 1 AP.

Quote:

2. When reinforcements arrive and the scenario calls for you to add CAPs to your "base CAP allotment", does base mean how many CAPs you had at the beginning on the game, round, something else?

Say you started with 6 CAPs, and had 2 units killed, so now your allotment is 4 CAPs per round. If it says to add 1 CAP in the next round, then you would start off with 5 CAPs. Does that make sense?

Quote:

3. Of the 3 HMG '42 counters in the game, HMG '42 #3 has a blue circle around it's firepower, while # 1 and 2 don't. Is this correct or a misprinting?

It's correct. Go by what picture shows on the firefight.

Quote:

4. Out of curiosity, why do russian mortars have a higher front defense than russian rifles?

I'm guessing because mortar teams keep lower to the ground, and can find spots where they can remain almost completely out of sight, as they don't need to see the enemy while they're firing (once they know where they're firing at.)

Quote:

5. Lastly, others have pointed out the seemingly weird issue of retreating vehicles zig-zaging in big circles in order to keep they're front armor facing the enemy. In 99% of situations it seems to make more sense to pay 1 AP, move forward diagonally, pivot to reverse your facing, move 1 or 2 hexes forward, and reverse facing once more to keep front armor facing the enemy... rather than pay 2 AP to move 1 hex backwards.

This seems like a significant issue and I wonder if Academy games has any thoughts on it. In another thread it was proposed that vehicle movement should restrict the number of pivots to 1 hex face per 1 forward move; however this then imposes ridiculous and unrealistic turning radiuses on vehicles, given the scale of the hexes.

I proposed the idea that if vehicles use their bonus movement, that they not be allowed to pivot after they're LAST forward movement. This doesn't impose any turning radius, and would make players decide "Am I backing up, or flooring it in the other direction?". If my intent is to slam in in reverse and not reveal my flank armor, then I should pay the +1 AP and move one hex backward.

Any thoughts on this? Other suggestions or interpretations?

Thanks for all help!

-B

Uwe will have to answer this last question, I think. I know the rules, but not always the reasoning behind them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Fraley
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
1. Got it.

2. Yep, makes perfect sense.

3. Good to know.

4. True. I suppose most of the time mortar teams can fire from inside a foxhole, behind a crest, etc. while the rifle have to aim down the sights of their weapons, exposing themselves. I can go with that.

5. Very curious to know Uwe's interpretation on this. Anyone else's thoughts are appreciated as well.

Thanks!

-B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
On Point 5, I say leave the rules as written. Keeping things simple is better than throwing some messy exceptions into it. What is a retreat anyway? That's just tactical positioning! Not being allowed to pivot after final movement would be very restrictive too.

Keep in mind that the move you describe requires all hexes to be open. Also, I've played dozens of games and never run into a situation where what you describe would have been useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Fraley
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
You might be right, although I can tell you that personally, this issue has come up every games I've played that a vehicle has been present.

Let me clarify as well, that I'm not specifically interested in achieving further realism over simplicity. I'm seeking to close a silly loophole in the rules that would seem to go against the intent of the designer.

While I like the concept behind my proposed variant, if simplicity is the priority, than let me suggest the simple REMOVAL of the rule in section 14.0 that "...any movement bonuses do not apply when moving in reverse."

If you remove that restriction, then the choices become more equal again. Pay 1 AP and do I weird loop to get a hex behind where I was, or pay 2AP and move straight back which would get me an addition hex further in the direction I want. Rules loophole removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Brandon,
[While I like the concept behind my proposed variant, if simplicity is the priority, than let me suggest the simple REMOVAL of the rule in section 14.0 that "...any movement bonuses do not apply when moving in reverse."[/q]

I like that solution, and it goes into my list of house rules. Thanks.

Dean Halley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
O.K., when I try to posy a quote that is what I get. Can anyone tell me how to do a quote correctly.

Thanks
Dean Halley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Click "QuickQuote" and take a look at the code it comes up with - that should make it clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Fraley
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
Another rules question.

When using weapons cards, like the molotov cocktail, do you add the +4 FP bonus for close assault? AT3 + 4 + 2 CAPS = AT 9 against flank DF. This is the say I read it, but wanted to be sure.

Also, if there a way to contact Uwe about the reverse movement question? I'm still very interested to hear his thoughts?

-B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheesesailor77 wrote:
Another rules question.

When using weapons cards, like the molotov cocktail, do you add the +4 FP bonus for close assault? AT3 + 4 + 2 CAPS = AT 9 against flank DF. This is the say I read it, but wanted to be sure.

Also, if there a way to contact Uwe about the reverse movement question? I'm still very interested to hear his thoughts?

-B

No, you do not add close combat modifiers onto weapons cards like molotov cocktail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.