David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I ditched Catan on ebay today.

I had it because I hadn't really played it in social settings, and people kept requesting it, "oh, hey, do you have Catan?"

So I got it.

A couple things happened:
a) The people who asked about it, actually had their own copies. It was just the game they knew. Why I bothered owning a copy was just silly.
b) I found out, Catan is just 'ok'. I can make 50 games I would rather play than Catan.

So I have to wonder, how much was it asked for based on, "hey, this is an obscure game, and at least I didn't say 'monopoly' amirite? amirite?" ...and how much was a genuine desire to play.

BUT, now I don't have it, and I can say, "well, have you tried... [insert game here], maybe you'll like it" Of all the games in the bgg database, there are many that would be agreed upon by me and the occasional friends that come over than Catan.

Selfish? YES. Am I going to be happier for it? DEFINITELY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
I have traded away games that I don't like to play despite the fact that I know others do. I don't think it is selfish. Your shelves should have what you want on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I buy games because I want to play them.

The only way that I KNOW that I will be able to play a game like "High Frontier", or "Formula De" is if I OWN IT. And then proceed to bring it to my gaming group, when I feel the itch.

Sometimes we play. Sometimes we don't. Sometimes, people say "Wow, this is so amazing, I must ALSO own it".

Either way. I never, ever, EVER buy a game just because of some 'social obligation'. The social obligation is for me to bring SOMETHING to the club- a game that I love enough to be willing to teach other people how to play.

There is no obligation for me to buy- much less TEACH to others- a game that I don't like.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thumb you up for stupid friends and because I myself has picked other games I rather take than whatever everyone else seem to have. I'd rather take the best title than the most known/most popular and also if I get some gamers to play with chances are obviously that they have played or already own the most popular titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know exactly where you're coming from. During my first 25 years of wargaming, I was buying the games. My 2 long time wargaming partners had a few, but generally the old AH classics which I also own(ed). However, since there were so many we didn't play, over the last 20 years I've sold hundreds of wargames from my collection on ebay, etc. I've culled my collection down to a mere 30 or so games of which we play most, but not all, some of the time and a handful most of the time. Now, since one of our number died a few years ago, the 2 of us that are left play even fewer most of the time.
I've been a hard core wargamer since 1967.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imyourskribe wrote:
I have traded away games that I don't like to play despite the fact that I know others do. I don't think it is selfish. Your shelves should have what you want on them.

I agree. I generally give other's in my gaming group first crack at buying them from me... If they don't buy them then I don't feel bad when I sell them either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost almost put Catan in the big math trade going down this week. My wife and I discussed it and decided neither would be opposed to parting with it.

Then I just kept it. I'm not positive why. It's one of the first games my high school friends and I played after we starting doing things together again, after we drifted apart in college, after Magic consumed our gaming time, after we met as RPGers. I also discovered all the settings maps and thought those could be neat to try. So maybe I'll hang onto for a little while, spicing it up with something new, and see if the nostalgia is good again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
very - I keep games I know my friends like more then me.

I did my first math trade at GenCon and got rid of stuff I was not playing, and one that we did play but we never liked the ending of it, so I am glad it is gone ( Infinite City ).

I also have figured out I am a collector, so I like having lots of games. I enjoy catan, so it is a keeper for me, are there better games out there - sure is but still a great game and a easy game for non gamers, or partial gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Medina
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Property of LunaClara
badge
Board games rule my life, and my wife's. That is a good thing, believe it or not ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have games that I don't play that much but will fit teaching others about board games. A good example for me is "Ticket to Ride". I don't think I will ever pick that myself to play, but I can see how this would be one of those I can introduce almost anybody and have them enjoy the game enough.

So, I think gateway games (Catan included) make good exceptions to your statement if you like to teach games or are interested in involving others in the hobby. I do enjoy teaching games almost as much as I do playing them and I play as much with non-regular gamers as I do with my board game group, so for me there is reason to be somewhat accommodating.

Other than that I only get games that either my wife will love or I will love, in that order. It is not selfish at all to just get what you will play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
In all fairness to myself, I didn't really establish until after the purchase that, "this catan thing is...not real awesome (for me)."

...so then I ditched it.

Interestingly enough, my mother-in-law donated games to us. In it? Phase 10. Will the trick-taking crazed wife let me 'donate' that away? NO.

Enter phase 10 dice (makes it somewhat palatable to me), and a couple other trick taking games (Canasta and eventually the Dwarf King)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a member of the household enjoys it, it's a keeper even if I don't. If someone else likes it but we don't, it's a gift to that person. And if I anticipate disliking it, I generally don't buy it in the first place (even/especially if I have a suspicion that it would be popular -- this was usually an issue with kids games and specifically with games for younger kids and/or that required at least 3 players). And some games get hidden before some gaming sessions.

Basically, I like to give guests free choice among a range of options that includes only stuff we're actually happy to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Medina
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Property of LunaClara
badge
Board games rule my life, and my wife's. That is a good thing, believe it or not ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:
If a member of the household enjoys it, it's a keeper even if I don't. If someone else likes it but we don't, it's a gift to that person. And if I anticipate disliking it, I generally don't buy it in the first place (even/especially if I have a suspicion that it would be popular -- this was usually an issue with kids games and specifically with games for younger kids and/or that required at least 3 players). And some games get hidden before some gaming sessions.

Basically, I like to give guests free choice among a range of options that includes only stuff we're actually happy to play.

Hahaha, that is hilarious. I should have read this before getting my boy all those Munchkin titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally am such a prick that I am much less accommodating with words blatantly spelled wrong in forum headers, but it seems that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.